• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Temporary tanks (two become one) Finally come to an END

tim

Evening folks, couple of quick pics of my temporary homes for the livestock from my 3ft tank, after moving I think I underestimated the time needed to re scape the 3ft so I'll chuck these two up in their own thread.
Pencil fish temporary home 40x40x30 tank.
14877663244_728207c04a_z.jpg

Pygmy Corries and cherry shrimp 40x40x25 tank
14877665054_10b7922e64_z.jpg

Not ideal size wise but beats plastic storage tub for a month IMO.
14693508178_4412ece4de_z.jpg
Need to sort out the landlords taste in curtains next :what:.
Eventual plan once fish are back in the 3ft is to look into a 100x40x30 to run low tech with emersed section may even go as shallow as 25 high.
Anyway as always cheers for looking :)

Both are quality Tim, not sure you can call them temp or holding tanks!
Id only go 30 minimum, gives a bit more scope than just straight shallow, even 35... Not sure of hand what the golden ratio would be for 100 off hand? Not that it must be followed at all.
Al has a 3x3 that's looking for a home ;)

Temporary:rolleyes:...both look awesome to me. I especially like the 40x40x25...nice.
Thanks Troi, I say temporary as they were setup quickly with bits and bobs I had lying around purely to hold my livestock until I have time to set their tank back up, the 40x40x25 is fast becoming my favourite and swmbo's so may be not so temporary :).
On the subject of bits and bobs the substrate was reused from my previous "low tech experiment" been kept bagged up in a cupboard and over the last week this has popped up.
14723829828_cb30dac625_z.jpg

I'm baffled, I vaguely remember a small bulb with a root my lfs gave me which got chucked in that tank but nothing grew and I assumed I'd syphoned it out long ago, but the resilience of plants astounds me :D

That is amazing:cool: How long had it been hibernating?
...Regardless, it almost gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside, to know no matter what we throw at it nature will always find a way to rebound...:joyful:
...On the other hand a good rest was probably just what it needed...:D

Reactions: tim
That is amazing:cool: How long had it been hibernating?
...Regardless, it almost gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside, to know no matter what we throw at it nature will always find a way to rebound...:joyful:
...On the other hand a good rest was probably just what it needed...:D
Since April until end of June then substrate was chucked in the tank for a dry start for a month, plants are :cool: Am assuming its a nyphaea of some sort.
One for the 'give nature a chance' thread :)
will add to the thread :)

Couple of co2 related issues to iron out with these two, 50 ltr bba outbreak on the wood, 40ltr bit of a flow dead spot so I've removed some hardscape, raised the light another 10 cm from the tanks and switched to running boyu inline diffusers on the filter intakes, so far so good better ph drop, also diatoms on the 40ltr so floss out and replaced with carbon, pics later.

also diatoms on the 40ltr so floss out and replaced with carbon, pics later.
Hmm, call me stupid but that is something I hadn't put together.... Now I think about it I've used loads of carbon in the big tank both times on start up and no diatoms.

Is this a well know trick that I've missed along the way tim?

Back