Testing for inmates?

I haven’t used test kits for many years. Once the new tank is cycled though and the lockdown is over I want to introduce some fish and wondering if I should test the water. I’m thinking that maybe at least a nitrite test would be a good idea but what do folks think?

Zeus.

Think by the time the lockdown is over your tank will be fine esp if up up and running, but much depends on when the lockdown is lifted and when the tank started its cycle

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
Once the new tank is cycled though and the lockdown is over I want to introduce some fish
You just need to wait until you have plants in active growth, I like six weeks and some floating plants, but that is probably conservative. The issue with biological nitrification is always likely to be an oxygen one, so for the initial period I would try and ensure you had plemnty of dissolved oxygen, by angling the spray bar to give you a lot of surface ripple or adding a venturi. Personally I like the venturi effect.

If you would feel happier testing the water, then yes I probably would recommend testing for nitrite NO2-, mainly because some nitrite compounds are coloured and insoluble (the <"diazo dye assay">), meaning that you are more <"likely to get an accurate result">. Would I rely on it to tell me the tank was fish safe? No I wouldn't.

There are the same issues as with testing for nitrate, you need to make sure the reagents are properly mixed etc.

cheers Darrel

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
naz Test kit kh testing Water Chemistry 8