Tetra - Bacterial, parasite?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by jameson_uk, 2 Feb 2020.

1. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Member

Noticed a couple of my black neon tetras looking a little off (slightly grey, dull eyes).

One has a big red spot near what I think is the stomach / organs? (Sorry best shot I could get)
    [​IMG]

Any ideas what it might be ?

2. Simon Cole

Simon Cole Member

Liver disease. Sorry mate.

3. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Member

I can't find much info on t'interweb. Is this Mycobacteriosis or different?

4. Simon Cole

Simon Cole Member

Where I would expect the liver to be, but it might also be the spleen. Cannot say what caused the damage. There are some good explanations here of what to do if you suspect it is mycobacteriosis, so I might be tempted to do an autopsy when the final bell tolls, or sooner even.

5. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Member

I don't suspect anything just came across a couple of articles that mentioned livers and mycobacterium. The only other thing I did wonder was whether this might be down to keeping softer water fish in hard water. The fish are either 20 months or 38 months old (hard to identify individual fish )

6. Simon Cole

Simon Cole Member

Not with black tetra, mine do fine in hard water. I do get congenital problems with guppies due to inbreeding. When the fish get old and organs fail, then diseased organs can quickly become infected tissue.
    I would certainly check whether it is visible on both sides. If it was an ulcer on epidermal tissue then you might be able to use dilute potassium permanganate baths. Red tissue is usually infection, white regrowth.
    Do you use glutaraldehyde, as I have often wondered how long term dosing might effect fish.

Matt @ ScapeEasy likes this.
  7. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Member

So this has turned into

What actually is this?

8. alto

alto Member

Nice camera footage

Looks like a tumour (not so uncommon in fish) with some inflammation and some lack of skin integrity on that one side (which is concerning) ... fish still seems relatively active but I’d remove to an isolation tank as this may also be pathogen related
    At the least, the affected fish will have higher loads of potential pathogens

(imagine loads of tiny worms growing on at that particular location ... while this is atypical, I observed this in some wild caught SA fish, it’s an extremely nasty parasite, once there were external signs, the worm had invaded gill and progressively more body tissue; I did manage to successfully treat some Altum angels but it was a lengthy process
    I’ve since seen early stages of this parasite in several fish shop tanks, including some tank bred tetras ... of course staff were disinclined to belief)

jameson_uk and dw1305 like this.
  9. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Member

Ended up taking a video after 100 slightly out of focus photos

I have been loosing fish to non specific for a long time. Seem to go in batches with a few going then everything seeming ok for while and then another couple. I have always suspected internal parasites but this has just been a hunch.

This fish is still pretty active (briefly tried to net it last night and it was certainly active enough to not want netting....).

Other than removing fish is there anything I can do for the tank? I haven't added any new fish for ages and there are only 6 tetras, 7 Cory, 5 Otos and some amanos left.