• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Product Review Tetra EX400 Mini Review

As some of you know, I ordered a Tetra EX400 for my newly setup Nano.
Someone asked for a review when I got it so here it is!

So why did I choose the Tetra EX400? Size and output were the two main reasons. I'm not that hard up for space but it seemed silly to have a large external hooked up to a 35L Nano. At 400 LPH output seemed about right and could be throttled back a bit if needed. Other options would have been an Eheim Classic but I liked the built in quick release hose coupling unit on the more modern designs like the Tetra.

I ordered the unit from Zooplus UK at a cost of £49.99 which included an extra 50p for ParcelForce delivery.
Paypal made payment quick and easy.
It was ordered very late evening on the 3rd June (so they received the order on the 4th) and the parcel was delivered on the 7th.
I could have ordered the unit from Zooplus.DE and saved some cash but as a first order it seemed quicker and easier to register with the UK branch - I can now use my login on the German site and order from there if I want to.
One of several other reasons I ordered from the UK site was that I hoped it would come with a UK power plug or adaptor, an issue others have had with buying electrical stuff from Germany. It didn't - more about that later.

Very well packed from Zooplus.

IMGP1504.jpg

Some box shots. Quite a heavy package given the size of the box.

IMGP1521.jpg

IMGP1523.jpg

IMGP1522.jpg

IMGP1524.jpg

And this is what you get inside.

IMGP1515.jpg

IMGP1514.jpg

As you can see it's a two basket arrangement complete with media. All seems ok on the media front but the floss pad is a bit thin so may need backing up with some more or maybe using two pads. The input and output tubes are a nice transparent grey as you can see so should not look too intrusive in the tank.
Here's a shot of the assembled unit with a bottle of Vino which gives an idea of the size of the thing, quite compact.

IMGP1530.jpg

It's difficult for me to make a fair comparison with other external filters from other suppliers as the only other unit I've owned was an Eheim Classic, and that was over 20 years ago. The Eheim was almost certainly made in Germany and this unit looks like it's been made in China. I'm not saying it's bad but the plastic components including the case are not as nicely moulded as they were on the Eheim.

That's it for now until I've got it up and running. I'll post part two as soon as I can but amongst other things there's some Planaria I want to get rid of in the tank...

I mentioned earlier about the power plug. It comes fitted with a standard two pin European plug which I thought was a bit disappointing. I bought an Eheim Air Pump a while back and it came fitted with the same type of two pin plug installed inside a neat UK adaptor. It's a bit bigger than a UK plug but quite a neat solution. Here are some pics. If you're reading this Tetra how about putting an adaptor in the box!

IMGP1517.jpg

IMGP1518.jpg

Bit bigger than a UK plug but not bad.

IMGP1519.jpg

On the back of the adapter it says: ECP PowerConnections, Harlow England so I may try and get another couple of them.

Part two as soon as I can. Any questions, ask away.

Just found this in case it's of interest:

http://www.powerconnections.co.uk/convert_eurotouk.htm

Great review. Looks like a great little filter.

I've carried out a quick "wet test" just to make sure it works ok and flow is about what I expected. Maybe slightly strong using just one of the two spray bars supplied but should be fine once it's been running a while. Quick release hose manifold system works well with not a drop of water spilt. Virtually silent in operation as it sat on the carpet, we'll see if it's the same once it's in the cabinet.

Aqua sobriquet said:
Virtually silent in operation as it sat on the carpet, we'll see if it's the same once it's in the cabinet.
Maybe itll get louder when its drank the bottle of wine!!! :)
Thanks for taking the time to put together the review, looks like a good little filter.

Blimey, can you read german, lol.

I was going to register on zooplus UK, then purchase from .de site, hopefully my login will then work?

Will I still be entitle to my 10% off, if I didnt register on the de site?

You have to order on the german site to get the german prices. Also, if you have already registered on the UK site it wont apply the discount on the german site. You can call the UK number and get them to de register you on the UK site and then reregister on the german site if you like. Why not put google translator in your bookmark bar, then whenever you are on a foreign page you click translate and it automatically does the job :thumbup:

I've had the EX400 running for a couple of days now so can confirm it's extremely quiet in operation.

Back