• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TetraTec EX 2400 - review

I use lilly pipes on mine, they're the smaller ones so they limit the flow a little but it's still far more than I could ever have wished for.

Hi,

I'm setting up my tank and initially bought two Eheim 2128's. They turned up and were damaged in the post. I tried them out and were totally silent but they went back and I decided to get two Tetratec Ex1200's. I like the power and look of the filter but it does seem to be riddled with problems. Firstly, the loud hum that comes from them, alittle too loud to ignore, and much noisier than the Eheim's. The heads are strange because they seem to take on water actually inside the casing. When you take the head off water drips out of every part of the plastics. When it's running, I've tried shaking the filters to let all the air escape, but they just keep releasing air. It's as if there is air leeking in from somewhere because you shake it and every so often a stream of air bubbles is released but this does not stop, no matter how long you shake them for.

I've contacted Tetra and their service was very good and they sent out two new heads but this has made no difference what so ever. Does any one have any ideas?

I know what you mean about the water getting into the casing, I see little point to it and there would seem a simple solution just to block the gaps around the intake connectors on the case, why they haven't fixed this I dont know. Its my biggest gripe about EX filters, which is unfortunate as they are very good.

The air thing I would just try and ignore, the filters should (given time) empty the air out. I would be surprised if air was getting into the filter once sealed.

I would second the customer service being great comment. They sent me a whole new ex2400 when I had trouble with the first one.

Sam

well I'm not sure what to make of it. The filters have been running for a few days and streams of bubbles still poor out when you shake the filter.

i have just recieved an EX1200 and that is big, glad i didnt go for the 2400 'cos i dont think it would of fit in the cabinet lol.

Interestingly, the manual says that ceramic rings are to disrupt the flow of the water NOT to act as biological filtration.

I thought the same too. I wondered if the plastic balls were to disrupt the flow, and the ceramics to hold bacteria. For some reason i cant imagine the plastic balls to have more surface area. :rolleyes:

The beer can puts everything into perspective, especially the impeller size :wideyed:

Nice review Sam.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experiene with the Tetratec EX2400. It sure looks the part, just seems Tetratec need to go back to the drawing board with regards to the motor and get that beast a little more quiet.

Thanks for letting people know your experience. Should help out a lot of people in deciding upon a new filter. Even though I won't be getting a EX2400, I sure am considering upgrading my Fluval 205 to a Tetratec EX1200 judging by waht a lot of people on these boards say about them and for the insance flow amount.

I wish id seen this before I bought mine. I agree with those who have one, great filter just way to noisy, I will try the jumper idea to try and insulate the sound. I bought an eheim 2180 which is silent, although its twice the price, to replace it but I cant bring myself to chuck the ex2400.

What I think the problem is, is that the impeller is the same size as the ex1200 which is rated at 1200lph. The ex2400 rated at 2400lph so has to spin twice as fast, causing a resonance/hum within it. A design flaw.

I've seen lots of reports about the EX2400 being noisy, something to do with the impellor being the same size as the 1200 so it's turning twice as fast.

I was thinking of an EX2400 for a 4ft 220l Mbuna tank, read comments about the noise and am now thinking about an FX5 or maybe 2x EX1200's instead since it probably won't fit in the cabinet.

I've had mine a while now. I've got used to the noise, and tetratec were very good about replacing the hose adaptor, which was letting a lot of air in. The air problem appears to be fixed now (still early days, replaced it yesterday!).

I cleaned it out for the first time yesterday, and was VERY impressed by how clean it still is. I must have had this filter running a good six months or so now? I can't remember but it's around that long.

My biggest gripe with it though, is it was very difficult to get out of the cupboard, full. It's extremely heavy with no obvious place to hold onto, and in the end I slid it out. After taking the media out, I emptied the water out with a jug until I could lift it.

hellohefalump said:
I've had mine a while now. I've got used to the noise, and tetratec were very good about replacing the hose adaptor, which was letting a lot of air in. The air problem appears to be fixed now (still early days, replaced it yesterday!).

Was there a noticeable difference in noise once it was replaced? I think air might have been the problem with mine. The tubing is annoying too, very stiff.

My biggest gripe with it though, is it was very difficult to get out of the cupboard, full. It's extremely heavy with no obvious place to hold onto, and in the end I slid it out. After taking the media out, I emptied the water out with a jug until I could lift it.

Yeh that pretty daft. The eheim 2080 I have it the same size if not bigger, and that has handles and wheels.

Sam

PS - you shouldn't be lifting heavy things ;)

LOL Sam I didn't lift a heavy thing, I pulled a heavy thing along the ground!

Well... the air problem is back. So I don't think it's the hose adaptor. I'm thinking it might be the filter head's seal? Because it got better when I took it on and off again (when cleaning it out and changing hose adaptor), then got worse?

The noise was still the same when the air problem got better - loud hum, which I assume to be the motor. There just weren't the loud 'swoosh' noises as the air went past the impellor.

I know what you mean about the hoses! Very awkward to manourver when you first set it up - I have labelled mine with biro on masking tape 'in' and 'out' so I don't have to work out which is which after cleaning the filter out.

I had a similar problem with the air on my ex1200, the leak first, and then the air got worse after the hose adapter was replaced. I got backm on the phone to Tetra, and they then replaced the entire motorhead, saying it might have been damaged by the air getting in through the adapter initially, which solved the problem. :D

Sam, today I replaced my very loud and annoying 2400 with 2off Eheim professional 3e 2078 and am I glad! :D After 3off failures with the 2400, 2off which where the hose adaptors from the hose to the suction pipe cracked allowing air in and an 'o' ring failure due to distortion even although it has had high quality silicon grease on it. On both occasions when the adaptors cracked I could continue to use it but the ingress of air made an already noisy filter unbearable! :arghh:
Every time Tetra sent the parts to sort it out but I have had enough!
I have only had the 2078's for one day but already I am really impressed, firstly they are silent! I keep feeling the hoses for flow to check they are still running!
To anyone out there I don't deniy that the 2400 is a big bit off kit for the money but having worn the T shirt I will NEVER have another one!
Hope this is useful to any prospective purchasers Cheers Colin.

Hi,

I`ve been running one for a couple of months now and am having the same problems as everyone else.

Air leaks are causing an awful lot bubbles in the tank making it look very unsightly and to minimise this I have it on a low turnover. Not what I want with a 600ltr tank at all.
I apply vaseline to the box seal and this stops it for a few days then it "venturis" again. Not happy at all so will contact Tetra and see what they say.

When it runs well the noise level (for me anyway) are acceptable and the tank is in my living room.

I hear Tetratec C.S. are very very good so I`ll let you know how I get on.

I think my EX1200 leak from the prime button.... The water comes out along the side of the button. If water can seep out what makes it seal from outside air getting in? That's my opinion anyway. It seemed like the button is the most sensitive bit and if you pressed the priming button, you will see loads of air gushing in in comparison to just purely shaking it.

Back