• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tetratec media

Jon1706

Hi everyone I was wondering what people thoughts where to the filter media in the Tetratex filters. And if people have changed the media what did the use? Any tips or info be great.
Jon

I have 2 ttex filters, the 600 and the 1200. I used the original filter media that came with it, although, i kinda wish i hadnt, but as i have cycled now, theres not too much point in changing, swapping the bio rings for some sera siporax would be my choice...

AdAndrews said:
I have 2 ttex filters, the 600 and the 1200. I used the original filter media that came with it, although, i kinda wish i hadnt, but as i have cycled now, theres not too much point in changing, swapping the bio rings for some sera siporax would be my choice...
I've cycled mine now its four month old (600). But I wanted to remove the sponges. my lfs sells this Seachem Matrix 250ml. I was going to use half to replace the sponges, leave it for 8 weeks then replace the the bio balls with the other half would this work?

Sponges(if you clean them often) are acting as mechanical filtration, so they will hold little of the bacteria needed, this will be stored on your bio balls, so i would keep the sponges, and replace the bio balls with seachem matrix half at a time, but give it a good 2 months to recover.

I had a TT1200 and used the filter media as supplied the only problems, noodles + sponge in the bottom tray, bio ball in the next tray and finally sponges in the top two tray.

Regards
paul.

thanks guys i will remove the bio balls. I just thought sponges slow down the flow down thats why I was going to remove them.

Jon1706 said:
thanks guys i will remove the bio balls. I just thought sponges slow down the flow down thats why I was going to remove them.

Jon
Does not matter what type of media you have within the filter unit it will reduce the flow of water.

Regards
paul.

Flyfisherman said:
Jon1706 said:

Jon
Does not matter what type of media you have within the filter unit it will reduce the flow of water.

Regards
paul.

thank you paul. :D

Hi,

I run two TT EX1200s on my 250L tank and have changed pretty much all the supplied media except for the fine white filter pads in the top tray and the ceramic noodles in the bottom tray which I have added to and both filters have a full compartment of this media in the lower trays.

I've changed the bio balls for matrix and substrat pro which are far superior products for biological filtration but initially pricey. On the positive side for bioballs they don't reduce the flow as much as the aforementioned products.

As for the original TT sponges I find them too pourous for my planted tank application. I think they would be ideal if you had large fish producing a lot of waste and didn't want to be cleaning the filter out very often but thats not how I'm running that particular tank so I use a much finer foam insert which I made from the blue jbl fine filter foam sheet which is freely available.

Regards Chris.

I ran two 1200 filters on a 240l tank. I wanted to keep the flow as high as possible, so I just used the ceramic rings and one layer of sponge. I added Zeolite and Purigen to one of the filters.

Dave.

Back