• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The 23 - 60x45x30

Djoko Sauza

Rescape time -

IMG-20210303-WA0003.jpg

After claiming the dining room for myself for 23 hours, a few coffees and a back ache later it is finally done! I tore the old scape down and rescaped in one sitting. Reusing pretty much everything. Only a couple of plants are new.
Had an idea for what I wanted in mind but didn't try the hardscape beforehand, it was done pretty much in the moment. Quite refreshing to do it this way actually.
Note to self: if you plan to rescape soon then don't trim your plants just before you do it. When you have four types of similar looking Rotala that are freshly trimmed and not properly grown it can be hard to know what is what!

The specs
Tank - TMC signature 600 (60x45x30), custom cabinet
Filter - Oase Biomaster 250 with Aquario Neo media and ceramic rings, poppy lily pipe and inlet skimmer
Light - Chihiros WRGB2 45cm hung from ceiling
CO2 - Pressurized with Qanvee inline diffuser into a Sunsun canister used as reactor
Substrate - old Tropica Soil, ADA La Plata sand
Hardscape - Seiryu Stone and Talawa Wood
Ferts - DIY mix

Plant list
Stems - Rotala sp. Green, Rotala Rotundifolia, Rotala Orange Juice, Rotala H'ra, Myriophyllum Guyana, Ludwigia Mini Super Red
Epiphytes - Bolbitis Heudelotii, Microsorum Pteropus Trident, Anubias Pangolino, Anubias Nana Bonsai, Bucephalandra Kedagang, Hydrocotyle Leucocephala
Moss - Weeping moss
Ground cover - Eleocharis Mini, Helanthium Tellenum Green, various Cryptocoryne species, Nymphaea Zenkeri

IMG-20210303-WA0006.jpg IMG-20210303-WA0001.jpg

Thanks for watching.

I like this scape much more than Fortitude - seems more balanced in both rock and wood and their interactions

Is it mostly the same pieces and plants?

I like this scape much more than Fortitude - seems more balanced in both rock and wood and their interactions

Is it mostly the same pieces and plants?
Thanks! Indeed a bit more pleasing to the eye, at least for now.

Hardscape is exactly the same. Only additions are the buces, anubias bonsai and fresh sand.

Roughly a week since being set up things are going pretty smoothly.
Some anubias leaves are melting while the plants adjust to being submersed, these have been removed.
There's some green thread algae growing from the moss but nothing that the old toothbrush won't fix. Really few long strands, easy to remove.
The Rotala H'ra is growing sideways, too much light?

IMG-20210309-WA0005.jpg

And a pic from the background plants:

IMG-20210309-WA0004.jpg

I'm doing water changes with 100% RO water and not adding calcium or magnesium since I have seiryu stone and dosing magnesium with ferts.

This is what I'm dosing at the moment:
7x per week all in one mix
20ppm NO3 via KNO3
4ppm PO4 via KH2PO4
20ppm K via K2SO4 and the other macro sources
4ppm Mg via MgSO4
0.5ppm Fe with micro mix

From tomorrow onwards I'll use Urea as a source of N, 50/50 with KNO3.

1 month update:

14d6dac5-9bfa-4eae-8244-f7a48f6fbe7f.jpg

Everything is growing in nicely. I´m using a auto doser for ferts on this one so apart from the weekly maintenance and occasional feeding it really is on auto-pilot. Love it!
What shape do you think I should trim the stems to?

Some more pics...

f765e07e-9781-490f-9cb9-c7ec98628803.jpg

IMG_20210403_131803.jpg

IMG_20210403_131929.jpg

IMG_20210403_131902.jpg

IMG_20210403_131952.jpg

IMG_20210403_132015.jpg

Pics are taken with my old iphone. Wish I had the time to get into photography but at the moment life is just too busy. Thanks for watching.

Last edited:
It's been a while! The scape is roughly 4 months old now and it's been running on pure neglect from my part. Irregular ferts, very sporadic water changes, way too late trimming... let's just say life has been busy.

These pics are just after a trim so stems don't look great. However the epiphytes and moss are looking better and better.

At a certain point I wanted to take a nice pic but while everything was growing just fine the ludwigia on the far right corner refused to cooperate, growing stunted and with almost black new growth. Should have just replaced it with more Rotala but oh well...

If (actually when ;)) I get a bigger tank, I'll stick to slower growing plants even if it means no stems. Too much hassle!

Last edited:
It's mosquito larvae season here in Holland (at least in my back garden) so my fish have been well fed lately. Particularly enjoying the yellow/greenish sheen on the sides of the White Cloud Mountain Minnows, they look like tiny trouts.

Here are some pics from today:

minnow.png neon.png
cory.png IMG_0614.JPG

My CO2 ran out a few weeks ago and I've stopped dosing ferts because the bottle is empty. I came to the conclusion that in order to get stems to look as bushy as I'd like I'd need to increase the light levels quite a lot. Since I don't enjoy such high light levels (both aesthetically and energy-consumption wise), I'm just giving up on the bush. Maybe one day I'll replace the stems with some Echinodorus or something. For now I'll live with the leggy growth!

Back