• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Accidental Aquascape

I've been pleasantly surprised by the improvement made by the Twinstar 900 SP.
It's really changed the feel of the tank and the whole room in fact. It's somehow clearer, as I think I was getting some strange things happening with strobing with the old light.
Pictures taken with iPhone and have had no adjustments to the colour. It's not what I call accurate, but it should show the difference.

My DIY light
View attachment 127204

Twinstar 5%
View attachment 127205

10%
View attachment 127206

30%
View attachment 127207

50%
View attachment 127208

100%
View attachment 127209
Wow, that is a huge improvement.
I too am doubting about the Twinstar S series and to get 2 900SP for my tank.
I did not see the light in person, and read people saying it washes out the green colour due to too much red.

Your tank is gorgeous.

Another Accident - Moss & Rocks

Just filled the 30cm cube. It's simple, but I can't wait for it to grown in.
I'll be uploading a video with the full build soon.

What light would people suggest for a 30cm cube?

Does anyone else see the weird face (top left) with its eyes closed?

Moss&RocksDay1.jpg

Last edited:
Another Accident - Moss & Rocks

Just filled the 30cm cube. It's simple, but I can't wait for it to grown in.
I'll be uploading a video with the full build soon.

What light would people suggest for a 30cm cube?

Does anyone else see the weird face (top left) with its eyes closed?

View attachment 127394

Loving the hardscape here, really makes an impact, superb work.

Love the hardscape on your 30cm!
Do you plan on adding some extra plants? Or just the mosses? Some anubias nana bonsai would look nice aswell ;)

Love the hardscape on your 30cm!
Do you plan on adding some extra plants? Or just the mosses? Some anubias nana bonsai would look nice aswell ;)

Thanks for the compliments all.

Anubias is my plan B if the moss doesn't work out. It's Riccardia Chamedryfolia, which I grew in my tank with Co2. I've got some Riccia Fluitans, which is currently in my other tank. Will be adding that to this tank once it's grown in a bit.

Moss & Rocks - The 30cm Cube after 4 weeks.
I'm tempted to use an electric toothbrush on this, as it's hard work with the manual and this is one giant algae ridden tooth!
I've had to mess around with the glassware. Found a skimmer that fits, but it's not ideal for flow. Might put the outflow on the left or probably buy a smaller outflow. Has anyone seen any nano glassware?
There is a full build video in the pipeline, just need to collect the live stock and do some final shots.

Cube4weeks.jpg

I've only added front on views so far, so here are some different angles.

CubeLeftAngle.jpg
CubeRightAngle.jpg
CubeTop.jpg
CubeCloseUp.jpg
CubeFilter.jpg

Overhang & Outcrop - 140ltr after 5 months.
It's been slow going with this, as I've had to learn as I'm going along. I think the hardware is finally sorted now. I've had to upgrade certain bits, but it seems to be coming together now.

Overhang&Outcrop5months.jpg

Both tanks are looking great.
I love the plant (not sure what it is) with the long stems and floating green leaf at the end. As seen in the middle of your 140ltr tank

Very nice and skilfully done; it looks as though you've slipped a glass box over a natural rock outcrop. I particularly like the way you've created the idea of bedding planes that all dip in the same direction :)

Hi all,
I particularly like the way you've created the idea of bedding planes that all dip in the same direction
Same for me, nice rock work. I don't usually comment on hardscape, and I know there is a concept of <"tension">, but tanks always just look unnatural to me when the <"bedding planes are all at different angles">.

It is hypocrisy, because couldn't do as well as any of the scapers here, and I know that the second image (below) is a "better" scape, but I still prefer the first one.

14113312931_2cd6756390-jpg.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1454536111407-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

it looks as though you've slipped a glass box over a natural rock outcrop.
Thanks Tim, that's pretty much what I try to do. If only I had a shrink-ray!

tanks always just look unnatural to me when the <"bedding planes are all at different angles">.
It is hypocrisy, because couldn't do as well as any of the scapers here, and I know that the second image (below) is a "better" scape, but I still prefer the first one.
Thanks Darrel, I know what you mean. In the second photo, the rock in the top right pointing left defies physics somewhat.

Great rockwork as said looks so natural. Must be very happy with that,one of bestcubes i have ever seen, i have always loved large hardscape.

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

First 'proper' issues with algae.
I've been getting a bit of algae here and there, but generally it's been easy to take care of. A bit of brushing and most of it goes, then comes back a bit, but it's generally not getting worse.

What is getting worse is the Hair Algae or Staghorn Algae.
I've trimmed the leaves that were affected, but it's coming back just as quick as I get rid of it. It seems to be in the areas of flow, rather than dead spots.
Here are a few photos, to show how near it is to the outflow. All the leaves downstream seem to be affected. Some other tank shots thrown in for good measure.

Will be adjusting the lighting and spot treating some Excel.
I have also angled the flow so it's not hitting as many leaves.

FYI
• 50% water changes every week.
• EI ferts
• 23*-23.5*
• Lighting is 0% at 8am and ramps up to 100% at Midday, then dims until it switches off at 3pm.

I will change the light to 80% max at Midday, but I have a feeling it might not be the lighting, as the rest of the tank seems absolutely fine in comparison.
Anyway, am I doing the right thing(s)?
Or anything else I should consider?

EDIT: It’s just occurred to me that it’s the leaves that are closest to the light, so maybe it is the lighting?

AlgaeIssues.jpg
AlgaeIssues2.jpg

AlgaeIssues3.jpg
AlgaeIssues4.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, its a lighting/co2 issue IMO. Little point spot dosing, the affected leaves are damaged beyond repair.

Id be looking carefully at your co2 level and circulation. Id say its notable that the tank is 6 months planted but growth of quite a few plants looks weak. If all was on point id have expected it to be looking rampant (unless you are doing a lot of trimming).
K

Back