• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The algae starts

lstratton

Hi there,
I have had my tank set up for about 3 weeks now, and brown algae has now started growing, although there is a fuzzy brown (hair algae?) on my cambomba. I have pressurised CO2 (not sure on the bpm, but the permanent CO2 test is green). I have about 2.5wpg and I'm using eco complete as the substrate and normal playsand (2 islands of eco, with a sand 'path' between them).
Tomorrow is water change day, so will clean it all off, but should I worry about this, or just put it down to things not being completely stable yet?

Hi,
Check JamesC Algae guide and you may see that this probably Diatom algae which normally forms just after tank setup and usually goes away after a few weeks: http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

If you do multiple 50% to 80% water changes per week for the next 2 months or so you can reduce it's occurrence, as well as reduce the occurrence/severity of other algae forms.

Also, what water are you using in your CO2 test? If you are using tank water your indication is corrupted. Use 4 kH water only in the CO2 indicator.

Cheers,

thankyou for that. i am using 4dkh water in the co2 test and am doing a little under 50% water changes, so I'll up that.
Think I might add some otos in tomorrow to help with it.

Back