The Cryptarium

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Mark Webb, 17 Jul 2009.

1. Mark Webb

Mark Webb Member

This is my second attempt at a planted tank. The first being a 60cm with Vallis and Java which has grown to look a mess and is now to be replanted.
    Inspired by George Farmers Crypt only tank, these slower growing plants suited my plan for a lowish maintenance tank so I decided to go for it.

Filled the tank, which is an Osaka 260, 25 April (using RO) and started the 2 x Eheim 2028's. Lighting is 2 x 39w T5's. I decided to go for CO² to save the job of adding Carbon and I have installed a FE system with Aqua Medic Reactor. Substrate is ADA Power Sand and Aquasoil.

[​IMG]

Left the tank running for 7 weeks before planting on 16 June

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nelson

Nelson Member

Re: Marks Crypt Tank - Osaka 260L

looks great.wouldn't mind doing something similar myself :D .
    what crypts have you got in there.

3. Sye Davies

Sye Davies Member

this i really really like....................im not sure about the "tree" sticking up but please please do not take this as a critisim ( i couldnt do better myself)

i think this will look very nice once filled out..........but then i am a crypt fan :oops: :D

4. Mark Webb

Mark Webb Member

Thanks, Crypts as follows:
    C.wendtii 'Mi Oya'
    C.parva
    C.beckettii "petchii"
    C.wendtii "brown"
    C.wendtii "green"
    C. x willissi
    C.wendtii 'Tropica'
    C.undulata "braod leaves"

5. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

I love crypts so much, shame with nano's i cant really do anything with them. im loving that tank, colours stand great against the black :)
    thanks
    Adam

6. dsandson

dsandson Member

Wow! Thats a lot of crypts... And I like it! Looks like you've made a brilliant start.

Just a few observations... looks like crypt balansae at the back. Looks great but you might want a little more to help it fill in. Also some of the wendtii is very close to the front glass. Be careful with that as if they get too close it can make things look cluttered and ruin any sense of depth.

The wood is great, and probably helps do something with the height of the tank, but another peice pointed towards the left hand side of the tank might balance it out more.

As I said, brilliant start. I cant wait to see how this fills in!

Dave

7. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Just goes to show how much planting changes things, looking at that first image with no plants it is hard to imagine how it would of turned out.
    Nice planting,

8. Mark Webb

Mark Webb Member

Thanks Dave, I must admit I am concerned about plants too close to the front. To be honest I struggled to fit all the plants in so it was a case of having to. -

9. Mark Webb

Mark Webb Member

Tank has been hit by a nasty attack of Staghorn Algae. Have pruned off most of the leaves the algae is growing on and increased CO². Bubble count is rattling away too fast to count. Started dosing API Leaf Zone at 5ml per day.

Algae takes hold :sick:
    [​IMG]

Heavy Pruning
    [​IMG]

Increased CO² and pearling nicely :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

Mark

Having reviewed the above picture - see the transparent holes in the second leaf from the left hand side (lighter green leaf) and the dark spot on the leafs after prunning - underside of leafs - mine went that that and then melted - have a reading of the attached thread - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7090

Regards
    Paul.

11. glenn

glenn Member

these are rely nice photos. good job. :thumbup:

12. Mark Webb

Mark Webb Member

Thanks Glenn

13. Superman

Superman Member

I found with my crypts that staghorn algae was a problem due to flow problems even with pumping loads of co2 in :thumbdown:
    I increased the flow around the tank and the staghorn algae then stopped being formed when I removed the infested leaves. :thumbup:

14. Mark Webb

Mark Webb Member

Thanks for the tip. The worst outbreak in my tank is in the firing line of 2 Eheim 2028's and there is a fair bit of flow there.

15. Superman

Superman Member

I did have BBA in high flow areas, I believed it to be that the ferts weren't in contact long enough with the plants and so they had a deficiency. It's a fine balance between too little and too much flow - IMO. Just keep fiddling and you'll find the right balance.

16. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Lovely crypt layout Mark.

Reminds me of my latest scape... :silent:

17. Mark Webb

Mark Webb Member

Thanks. Send me a link :)

18. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

A new journal will be starting soon, once i've finished planting so many crypts.

19. Mark Webb

Mark Webb Member

Update after 8 weeks.

Now have the Staghorn Algae under control. I have been dosing with 15ml Easycarbo per day and removing affected leaves. Also dosing 5ml of API Leaf Zone Daily. In addition 30% water change every 3 days. The Staghorn is still growing but much slower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Graeme Edwards

Graeme Edwards Founder Staff Member

Looks great Mark. The Crypts have take on their established aquatic growth and look the better for it.

It might be nice to have some moss added in there near the front to the right of the tank, or even on your wood. Just a thought.

Nice job.