• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Cube

planter

Its been a long time coming but ive finaly started my cube tank up again. I decided whilst it was empty to treat myself to an Opti white glass aquarium (same dimensions). The tank size and the cabinet suit the lounge so this keeps the wife happy. An Opti white glass tank had to have glass inflo and out flow pipes (didnt it?) and a a glass diffuser to match which was all piped up with clear hose so now im a proper 'tank tart' :D

Tank: 55cm x 50cm x 45cm (almost a cube)
Lighting: 4 x 24 watt T5
Substrate : Eco complete
Co2: Jbl pressurised
Filtration: Eheim professional thermo 2228

The Tank -
DSC03832.jpg

DSC03831.jpg

Decided to try Eco complete having read so many good things about it. Only thing i didnt consider was that with it being live I would have to work fast. Usually I like to take a week or so to get used to or tweak the hardscape. So not a lot of thought went into the layout and as a consequence im not happy with it at all at the moment.
However I did have a nice peice of wood put aside and the plants were here so it had to be done.

DSC03834.jpg

DSC03835.jpg

Plants include HC, Pogostemon Helferi and Rotala rotundifolia for starters
Great quality and value @ £3.50 and £2.50 per pot

DSC03841.jpg

HC all divided up and ready to plant -
DSC03844.jpg

DSC03846.jpg

Like I say im not happy with the scape at all so expect this one to change, Not even sure I like the peice of wood any more I think it might be too big! maybe ive just looked at it for too long.

DSC03866.jpg

DSC03868.jpg

Early days and ill be happier about posting a full tank shot once ive planted a bit more.

Sexy!

I would have considered splitting up the pots into more portions, but I have OCD when planting... :)

The wood looks ok to me. Remember that once the plants are mature, a lot of it will be hidden anyway.

How do you find Aqua Distri in comparison to Tropica? Much difference?

3.50 per pot of p. helferi? £2.50 per pot of Hc? That's a bargain! Where on earth did you get that from? And those plant looks lush as well!

Those look like the labels used on plants in Maidenhead Aquatics ;) The one I've been too had an OK plant section (wasn't amazing). They were at least attempting to keep the plants alive with halides and the quality was overall good. I suspect had they been delivered recently they would be a lot nicer! Still, it didn't stop me buying some ;)

Cube looks great Planter :) I think I prefered the wood like this:

DSC03834.jpg

Way hey Planter you optiwhite, glass wearing tart you! LOL

I love the scape so far, great potential.

You've gotta be happy with the plants at those prices, i bought some HC from MA the other day for £2.50 a pot. I intend to get a load more from TGM mail order (although im skint) so maybe i'll see the difference.

I'm with George with the planting of the HC, stem by stem. But thats only coz that was how i was taught, i've never done it the way you have, maybe i'll give that a go too.

Nice one pal, this one looks set to be a stunner.

George Farmer said:
Sexy!

I would have considered splitting up the pots into more portions, but I have OCD when planting... :)

The wood looks ok to me. Remember that once the plants are mature, a lot of it will be hidden anyway.

How do you find Aqua Distri in comparison to Tropica? Much difference?

A ha I know a fellow tank tart when i see one :D

George the Aqua distri plants IMO are as good as Tropica in quality and they are now starting to supply HC, Pogostemon and more recently Ultricularia. They are also a lot cheaper!!
I know you guys like the Tropica stuff, I do too (fantastic quality) but they shouldnt be considered as the 'only' decent plant supplier.
daniel19831123 said:
3.50 per pot of p. helferi? £2.50 per pot of Hc? That's a bargain! Where on earth did you get that from? And those plant looks lush as well!

Seeing as you asked ;) The plants came from Maidenhead aquatics @ Morden. The HC And pogostemon were £3.50 the rotalas were £2.50

As for the scape im living with it at the mo. Got some more plants arriving this week so i will see how it alll pans out.

Thanks for all your comments

Dan Crawford said:
Way hey Planter you optiwhite, glass wearing tart you! LOL

I'm with George with the planting of the HC, stem by stem. But thats only coz that was how i was taught, i've never done it the way you have, maybe i'll give that a go too.

Ive always divided pots into fours never had it fail yet I guess im just impatient!

Nice one pal, this one looks set to be a stunner.

Ahh you have a way with words Dan :)
Im in training for next years comps lol!

Which one was that Aaron? I sometimes go to the one in Harlestone Heath Garden Centre, Harlestone Road. A member of TFF works there, Stang1/Angie. I noticed the massive anubias they had in several weeks back when I was there (I bought a smaller one ;))

Lovely tank and very promising scape, looking forward to seeing it fill out mate. i'm going to be ordering an all opti white from the tgm myself soon just can't decide on the dimensions.
Those plants look like there from the grower "Aqua Fleur" when you get them fresh they are good quality.

I like the wood and the position too, although I find the spindly bit going to the surface a bit distracting. I wouldn't worry about it being too big. Once all the plants are growing you might think it's too small!

beeky said:
I like the wood and the position too, although I find the spindly bit going to the surface a bit distracting. I wouldn't worry about it being too big. Once all the plants are growing you might think it's too small!

Have added some new plants which has softened the wood a little. Will try to post pic soon. As for the spindy bit it does help to add some height to the scape as the tank deep for its length (if that makes sense).

Aeropars said:
PLanter,

Did you plant the HC witht he rock wool still attached? Do you find that its less likely to float if there was fish in there?

Lee

I always plant HC like this. Most of the rock wool is removed. Just enough is left on to form an anchor I found this especially useful this time round with the Eco complete substrate.

A little update for you -

Hasnt been the best start I must confess but I think this is mainly due to a High KH reading. I suspect this is due to the Eco complete substrate which ive never used before. Not seeing much pearling action as a result and plants dont look like theyve got of to the best of starts. A little hair algae and BGA as a consiquence but regular water changes with RO water is bringing the KH down slowly. From what ive read This can be a problem with Eco complete at first but will settle after water changes! anyone expierienced anything similar?

Back