• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The drilled and sumped 60P

Sounds nice. I am getting a 120p and want to drilled for an overflow to a sump in the garage then back to the tank but use Lilly pipes for the returns instead of the lock lines. Have talked to the fellows at Reef
Synergy and they are making me a white overflow with Stainless steel mesh to keep the shrimp out of the sump.:) Then I can use a Frosty film for the background of the tank.
That’s sounds pretty cool indeed.
How much flow can you push through the lily pipes?
Something to keep in mind if you need more powerful pumps pumping water from the garage . The bigger ones have 3/4”+ connections while lilies are 1/2”? Maybe you need reducers or bigger lily pipes.
They do make white locline. Just sayin :)

1AB9742A-19FE-4AD6-8482-2DAED9C2436F.jpeg
Don’t know how but I ordered 1/4” clear PVC instead of the 2” I needed for the reactor. Must have ordered it when I was tired...
Oh well.
Went and got white pipe from the hardware store and put the reactor together.
Hooked it up to one of the return pumps. To keep the dumb things going, I forgot to fill it with bio balls and glued it before even thinking of it.

Running the same 3bps rate as with the in-line atomizer , I’d say it cut the mist by about 80%.Theres still some but nothing to impede the view or annoy me enough(and I hate co2 mist/bubbles).

It would be interesting to see what the drop checker shows tomorrow at lights on. Just changed the liquid in the checker.

I was also getting a gurgling sound once in a while and couldn’t figure out why.
Perhaps I drilled the Venturi line too low cuz as soon as I plugged it , no more gurgling sound. It is about 3” from the top of the reactor compared to the recommended 2”.
So I’ll just run it like this for now with the plugged line.
Other than that it’s doing it’s job it seems.

That’s sounds pretty cool indeed.
How much flow can you push through the lily pipes?
Something to keep in mind if you need more powerful pumps pumping water from the garage . The bigger ones have 3/4”+ connections while lilies are 1/2”? Maybe you need reducers or bigger lily pipes.
They do make white locline. Just sayin :)
Just buying the buying a couple of Lilly pipe P and placing one in the front and then on the opposite side one in the rear of the tank. Will be using a DC pump so I can adjust the flow to what I want.:) Lots of neat equipment from the marine side of the hobby to use.:) For some reason Planted tank hobbyist don't feel a tank is worth it to buy a nice piece of kit and they put up with some junky stuff from manufactors that's for sure.:)

More Monte Carlo, Echinodorus tenellus and Anubias petite went in.
Also 20 Ember tetras. Really liking these guys..
All swimming and eating mysis flakes. That’s what I had on hand from my reef tank and they seem to like it.
Planning for 40 more RCS and 10 Amano shrimp and I think I’m done.

Co2 on the other hand is not as hot as I thought it is....I think the drop checker was being rather optimistic with all the mist in the tank from the in-line atomizer collecting under the drop checker it was reading high when in fact was not quite as high.

The reactor is barely putting out any mist, and at about 3bps keeps the checker green/lime green all day. Also way more pearling from the plants. Quite happy with it but it did slow down my return pump.
Thinking to put it on its own dedicated pump and leave the return pump do it’s job.

Maybe I’ll need a very small powerhead when plant mass will increase considerably.

This is not gonna cut it especially with all the wood in the way...

Ember tetra are always an good choice in small tanks. Nice colours and size, bit shy but it gets better with another braver species :)

Ember tetra are always an good choice in small tanks. Nice colours and size, bit shy but it gets better with another braver species :)
Thanks yes I wanted something really small and these stay under 1”.
I was told to introduce a dwarf cichlid or something similar to make the embers school very nice and tight.
I might consider it .

Koralia nano added in between the wood branches so it’s barely visible but adds 250gph of flow .
Plants sway nicely now in the current and embers swim into the current.
Also added a way narrower white sand path where planting is not possible since the rock kinda slides diagonally into the substrate.
When moss from the rock and Monte Carlo from the other side will engulf it, it will look really nice.
Pic to follow soon.

C0255CFC-A860-443E-88E8-627014000F3A.jpeg

Kind of a bad pic with the bulb glare and angle but I added a Giesemann Superflora to bring out the reds more.

2x middays
1xsuperflora
1xaquablue special

R. Macrandra Mini butterfly
R. H’ra
H. Micranthemoides

All growing well.
Waiting for them to hit the top then trim.

Moved and had this crazy idea to put the tank in the wall.
Found the spot for it and cut the hole and whatever else followed after.
Going for an Iwagumi this time.
Hard scape is pretty much done except one-two small pieces that I’ll glue to the overflow up top.

More soil and find a carpeting plant I love. Except hairgrass. And weeping moss on the rock tops/edges.
Should be interesting how this will evolve.
C782CD2B-793C-403F-91C8-484088EA0286.jpeg

These rocks are Mexican pot rocks from the local rock yard and they’re advertised as aquarium rock at 50c/pound.
They are a little more red than the picture shows, I have to correct white balance with iPhones.
I’m now wondering if the red color indicates high iron and if that’s going to be an issue. Not sure if they’ll leach any silicates and present algae problems down the road.
I’m not down with paying 6-7$/pound for nice aquarium rock. Been there done that...
Should I go ahead plant it and hope for the best or just remove the rock and go with known aquarium safe rock?

If I kept this , I can’t really call it a true Iwagumi; it leans more diorama and to make it look like a true one at that I was thinking to build some arches from rock to rock up top with pieces hanging down in between just like stalactites and have overgrown moss on them resembling a cave or cave entrances.
Opinions?

Hi all,
red color indicates high iron
It does.
and if that’s going to be an issue
No, <"definitely not">.
Not sure if they’ll leach any silicates
They might,but even if they do <"it would be irrelevant">.
I’m not down with paying 6-7$/pound for nice aquarium rock.
Should I go ahead plant it and hope for the best or just remove the rock and go with known aquarium safe rock?
A rock is a rock is a rock, if you like your rocks (and I do) then use them, it is all that matters.

cheers Darrel

32141C21-354F-48A8-B9F5-962ADD8D895D.jpeg
3E369FE9-1E34-4149-9D9E-EF003A0C1497.jpeg
image.jpg
Thanks Darrel!
Will keep my rock then!

On the other hand, I just finished plumbing; no leaks. Phew...
Water circulation is pretty low from the 2 Eheim pumps, understandable with 5.5ft head.

The classic Eheim canister 2217 just circulates the sump filtering the tank that way. The outflow is inserted into the co2 diffuser and even further down into a a nifty small acrylic fish trap with holes on the side.
Co2 gets agitated in there very well a very fine mist gets in the tank....if I put some filter floss/couple bio balls in there I reckon itll be even better.

Hi all, It looks volcanic, and because of where you are located that is pretty likely. My guess is that it is a <"Scoria/Tephra">.

My son picked up a very similar looking pebble from the Bay of Naples. Red, and pumice like, but quite heavy.

cheers Darrel
It is indeed very heavy. Those pieces in the picture weigh 60+ pounds .

Back