• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Duchess of Sutherland

Gang@Ukaps

It does not come any better than is - Engineering at its best - passed my house on route from Carlisle to Crewe.

6233TheDuchess.jpg

Regards

Paul.

Pah, LMS... GWR have the superior engineering. O s v bulleid has some fantastic designs too. The q1 looks like something from a steampunk comic!
Still, great picture, I hope you had a lineside pass. ;)

Flyfisherman said:
It does not come any better than is - Engineering at its best - passed my house on route from Carlisle to Crewe.

true, must of been amazing to see something like that. a blast from the very distant past.

I could be wrong but I think she was built in 1928? Not that long ago. It's a shame they're trying to outlaw steam on the mainline, if only they'd had more foresight like germany and switzerland who have strategic reserves of historical importance that are still allowed on the mainline and still operate regularly as they would.

The Duke - deemed as scrap, rescued and rebuilt hence the phoenix rising from the ashes, home depot is at Bury and built in Crewe 1954, had a refub 2 years ago a 1 million pounds - funded by the national lottery.

Picture422.jpg

Paul.

The dukes a beauty, it's supposed to be the most powerful locomotive to ever grace our rails, a super heavy steamer too. All the technology on it was ahead of its time.

Something of a spotter are you flyfisher?

To see two mainline trains in action you'd struggle these days, not that it's not impossible, for those who are passionate about photography it's well worth going to one of the nightimte steaming events at barrowhill roundhouse, or nymr.

The camera club I am a member of is full of steam enthusiasts. They hire an engine out every year and have all day travelling on it and photographing it.

Dave.

Back