The evolution of a scape

Discussion in 'Journals' started by James Marshall, 23 Sep 2009.

1. James Marshall

James Marshall Member

3944778923_b7ea62da69_o.jpg

Hi Guys

After the trees in fangorn forest met their demise (not via a gang of marauding orcs but at the hands of a frustrated aquascaper), I decided to replace them with some rocks. Obviously with the plants already in place, this is not the ideal time to be hardscaping, but as I already considered fangorn to be a play tank I thought I would give it a go.

3932434960_f9fb87fe30_o.jpg
    Version 1

The ideas behind the conversion were firstly to try and create some false perspectives, so I chose very geometric rocks as I thought they would best enable this. Secondly I wanted to experiment with some different methods of attaching Riccia and moss to the rocks. Unfortunately neither was particularly successful and I felt the scape had a rather awkward appearance. So I had another rearrange to see if I could make things look a little more natural.

3932417554_e436d86ac0_o.jpg
    Version 2

3932041285_74a5639108_o.jpg

I’m still not entirely happy with it, but I do prefer this layout to version 1.
    Please feel free to say which you prefer and critique at will.

SPECS
    Tank volume : 21 liters
    Tank size : 36 x 22 x 26 cm
    Plants : Riccia fluitans, Rotala rotundifolia, Taxiphyllum barbieri,
    Staurogyne Sp, Hemianthus callitrichoides
    Hardscape: Pagoda stone
    Lightning : Two 24 Watt cool white power compacts (over tank)
    One 7 Watt warm white tulip bulb (backlight)
    For 8 hours per day
    Ferts:: 1.5 ml Tropica plant nutrition+ per day
    CO2: 45 bubbles per minute for 10 hours per day
    Substrate: Eco Complete and Red Sea flora base

Cheers
    James

2. Vito

Vito Member

Hi James, I love the end result, the condition of the plants is amazing and and I love the little section of sand/gravel. I must say the HC looks really good, if that it HC.

3. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

Orcs :lol:
    The new scape looks really good, i love the use of moss and riccia on the rocks, something that i am going to be tring :D

keep it up!
    Adam

4. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

V2 for me. I love it. What a funky little scape. :thumbup:

5. James Marshall

James Marshall Member

Thanks Guys

Vito - yes it is HC, this was the first time i had used it, and what an excellent little plant it is, ideal for nanos.

Adam - glad you liked the orcs

Matt - thats great news that you like V2, non scapers that have seen it mainly like V1

Cheers
    James

6. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Member

I like this. It's fresh. Those little Staurogyne plants sure are cute. I have some (not sure if same kind) that I'm gorwing emersed and I like it a lot.

7. andyh

andyh Member

James

Really like version 2, cant believe how healthy everything looks, your HC especially looks stunning. :thumbup:

Great scape.

Andy

8. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Hi James

V2 for me too.

What is even more impressive than the 'scape alone is that you already have your own distinctive style, that is a rarity these days. It's not really Nature Aquarium, as it's more ornamental. I really like it. Keep up the great work mate! :D

Kudos.

9. James Marshall

James Marshall Member

Thank you chaps, I'm glad you all like V2 most.

George - Thank you so much, It means a lot that you consider me to have my own style :D .
    I'm pleased you mention the word ornamental, as I look at nano scapes as living ornaments.

Cheers
    James