• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The evolution of a scape

3944778923_b7ea62da69_o.jpg

Hi Guys

After the trees in fangorn forest met their demise (not via a gang of marauding orcs but at the hands of a frustrated aquascaper), I decided to replace them with some rocks. Obviously with the plants already in place, this is not the ideal time to be hardscaping, but as I already considered fangorn to be a play tank I thought I would give it a go.

3932434960_f9fb87fe30_o.jpg

Version 1

The ideas behind the conversion were firstly to try and create some false perspectives, so I chose very geometric rocks as I thought they would best enable this. Secondly I wanted to experiment with some different methods of attaching Riccia and moss to the rocks. Unfortunately neither was particularly successful and I felt the scape had a rather awkward appearance. So I had another rearrange to see if I could make things look a little more natural.

3932417554_e436d86ac0_o.jpg

Version 2

3932041285_74a5639108_o.jpg

I’m still not entirely happy with it, but I do prefer this layout to version 1.
Please feel free to say which you prefer and critique at will.

SPECS
Tank volume : 21 liters
Tank size : 36 x 22 x 26 cm
Plants : Riccia fluitans, Rotala rotundifolia, Taxiphyllum barbieri,
Staurogyne Sp, Hemianthus callitrichoides
Hardscape: Pagoda stone
Lightning : Two 24 Watt cool white power compacts (over tank)
One 7 Watt warm white tulip bulb (backlight)
For 8 hours per day
Ferts:: 1.5 ml Tropica plant nutrition+ per day
CO2: 45 bubbles per minute for 10 hours per day
Substrate: Eco Complete and Red Sea flora base

Cheers
James

Orcs :lol:
The new scape looks really good, i love the use of moss and riccia on the rocks, something that i am going to be tring :D

keep it up!
Adam

Thanks Guys

Vito - yes it is HC, this was the first time i had used it, and what an excellent little plant it is, ideal for nanos.

Adam - glad you liked the orcs

Matt - thats great news that you like V2, non scapers that have seen it mainly like V1

Cheers
James

I like this. It's fresh. Those little Staurogyne plants sure are cute. I have some (not sure if same kind) that I'm gorwing emersed and I like it a lot.

James

Really like version 2, cant believe how healthy everything looks, your HC especially looks stunning. :thumbup:

Great scape.

Andy

Hi James

V2 for me too.

What is even more impressive than the 'scape alone is that you already have your own distinctive style, that is a rarity these days. It's not really Nature Aquarium, as it's more ornamental. I really like it. Keep up the great work mate! :D

Kudos.

Thank you chaps, I'm glad you all like V2 most.

George - Thank you so much, It means a lot that you consider me to have my own style :D .
I'm pleased you mention the word ornamental, as I look at nano scapes as living ornaments.

Cheers
James

Back