• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Falls - DOOA Wall 60

There’s some Amano and cherry shrimp in there. They ignore each other. My guess is they won’t bother other fish.

They aren’t violent, just chase and show off to each other. At times they hunt daphnia together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the problem with other fish would be that they are tiny (3 - 4 cm), would easily be outcompeted by even neons!

Yeah maybe one for a species only tank.

Missed the update on this... wow! That's looks soo cool! Makes me want to extend the back of my tank upwards... that would be a cool product, a wall that

On thin filter pads... the aquaone above tank trickles take about 15x6x1cm thick course foam pads - expensive for the branded ones but knockoffs available on ebay.

The badis are great, my favourite fish at the moment. So dinky, but mine will happy eat a full size daphnia - might just be yours have a little growing? The completely ignore adult cherrys... I imagine they pick off the babies well as they are always prowling about hunting. No issues with them in with ember tetra, otos, habrosus cory. They watch their prey before pouncing so would definitely be at risk of our competing with anything to quick. At least with live daphnia you don't need to worry so much about over feeding so everyone gets some. I think they are the perfect choice for this tank though, they look really good!

Thanks Tam. Will look out for the Aquaone pads.

Yes, the Badis a real little characters. I’m lucky to have a rain barrel full of daphnia, which is fun to watch them get hunted down. They also seem to like fruit flies on the surface.

Great tank, the back wall looks great, no something I've seen before.

Makes me want to do an immersed wall in mine now!

Thanks Dutch, yes a salamander or frog would be cool. However, open top means they would probably escape and end up eaten by my cat

Funny above water, algae not an issue but aphids and low humidity have been a challenge! I wanted to add some lady bird larvae but they are not available in winter

You can always place a lid on and then introduce a frog . But since frog needs 90 to 100 percent humidity I am not so sure he will live .

Well in lieu of a frog, I added another sundew. Keep getting some little black gnats, easy to catch but hopefully the plants can combat them. I think the chlorosis is improving with more ferts (adding 3 ml of TNC lite a day).

7af51402068abd3909bf49970610370c.jpg

First victim

109cba766e187940d710255042e2a8f4.jpg

Really cool setup, very Ada-esque!

Love the badis too, too bad we can't find any female for sale!

Really cool setup, very Ada-esque!

Love the badis too, too bad we can't find any female for sale!

Thanks! I did try to follow some of Mr A’s advice on golden ratio in this scape, I’m very happy with the overall layout. Just the growing that is challenging but that the fun?!

Yes if I had a female I’d happily leave them to have it too themselves but as is I’m on the lookout for some of clown killies. Think they will also enjoy the shallow, soft water conditions. T

Thanks, not covered at present. I just mist couple of times a day. Thinking of adding a 2/3 rds cover, I think it would help plants like Java Fern.

Ok I’ve been struggling with Aphids!

They really wrecked the Hydrocotyle sp which I was hoping would be a glorious green mass by now. I tried fairy liquid and wanted to add lady bird larvae (not available in winter). So was wracking my brain on how to get rid of the little F@&£rs

Then the obvious solution hit me.....drown them!

So I’ve filled the tank to cover all the plants. As a bonus the Badis were quick to seize the free meal ticket and have started eating the drowning aphids!

Not sure how long I need to leave it submerged? Probably leave at least to the weekend.

Quite cool as an underwater scape:

8ced1891b844b287d5b3aa46d73959b5.jpg

99fcd574478a661dac87433f33c7154f.jpg

8f09f9f54f219e39b6d99a43c5887923.jpg

573159fba155172aea8b0c30ba9108ca.jpg

Wish me luck! Will have to quarantine future plants additions! T

It now reminds me of a mangrove region in flood cycle!

Very impressive

Thanks for the tip! I was wondering that. How long can an aphid hold it’s breath???

Back