• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Falls - DOOA Wall 60

Ok well the Badis’ aphid feast had to come to an end. They did enjoy feeding right up to the upper rim:

759a8a1f5db6fc459b10b0d009083f9b.jpg

I’ve had this tank on a weird set of chesterdraws I got from a charity shop. It had been hugely reinforced, I wonder if it had previously been used to hold a tank? Either way it works but not the most elegant piece of furniture

7e92f3025d4b5a59fd262cd53771eb4c.jpg

I ordered a cabinet ages ago but was very delayed for various reasons. It came this week. Decided to have a mission to transfer the tank to the new cabinet. I managed to get away with dropping the water to a few cm and then just slid it across.

14c703e5bd111cae4563d5dc11e169e2.jpg

5fa6eea41017c3508a8af7381479ac78.jpg

Think it definitely improves the overall look. Worth the wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, and it also felt like great enrichment. They really seemed to enjoy hunting in a new environment. Might do it every month! Not difficult in a small tank like this.

47845517d6945dd49ec160f74e25ca3b.jpg

Spot the new additions!

Came across some Rocket Killies. They seem well suited to the scape. Try really enjoy exploring all the overhanging, roots, moss, floating plants.

Badis ignore them. Very different fish to the Badis. Virtually live in the surface film.

049a8eb27adcf682ba7d4bdbac0a6d10.jpg

55f44fa3de86cf3ce20d1429bd777fd4.jpg

e5ccd2f5a896e5ae4e55c245ff474e11.jpg

Love the rocket killies! The scales looking amazing! Love the idea of flooding it and letting the fish eat the aphids!

How’s the heather going? I’ve had mine soaking in a bucket with a heath mat for over a month now! Very slimy! Concerned about the bio load of it rotting!

Thanks Tucker. Only issues with the heather is it harbored some little black gnats! Not a massive issue but they flood seems to have delt with them as well. I really like it, it has an almost Manitza quality in some old twisty bits.

Good luck, Amano shrimp or nerite snail will destroy any bio film. I had a bit on my wood initially but nerite virtually polished it! I moved it to another tank so it wouldn’t starve. T

Thanks Tucker. Only issues with the heather is it harbored some little black gnats! Not a massive issue but they flood seems to have delt with them as well. I really like it, it has an almost Manitza quality in some old twisty bits.

Good luck, Amano shrimp or nerite snail will destroy any bio film. I had a bit on my wood initially but nerite virtually polished it! I moved it to another tank so it wouldn’t starve. T

Yeah, I love the look of it! I’ve got some really nice twisted pieces, similar to yours!

How did you prep it?! Strip the bark? Soaked? Boiled?!

Mines been in a kiln for 4 hours, then boiled for 2 and it’s been soaking for best part of a month!

Hopefully with some shrimp and snails it’ll be ok!

Wow! That’s some extensive prep. The stuff I used had probably been dead for years, so had no bark. I would make sure there’s no bark as it will just rot in tank.

Otherwise as long as it sinks your good to use. I didn’t even need to bother with that, as most of my wood is in air. That said it does now seem to sink due to being constantly wet, I’m using moss‘ capillary action to draw water over the wood.

Thanks Tim, they seem to be compatible, no violence so far. Although the water is only a few inches deep the killies rarely stray from the surface, the Badis mainly stick to the bottom.

I read that the killies are sometimes found in water less than an inch deep!

Yes, I was a bit concerned about jumping but they would need to get about 30 cm vertical height, to escape the tank! I’m trying to keep them happy, lots of floating plants and overhanging growth.

They are charming little fellows, like long bumble bees. Unfortunately only got two females in group of 7, not ideal. Will have to keep my eyes peeled, not that common in LFS

Cheers, unfortunately I can’t really induce much flow due to the green wall but I think the fish like it that way. Kind of low flow but high filter volume set up.

Funny pic of the Badis and Killies going their separate ways after a daphnia binge:

1ff83838dad1a364ef8a75b59a5edd0d.jpg

Thanks Steve.

Got some plants from Aquarium Gardens. Asked for ones growing in emergant state, which were provided.

I wanted to enhance the concavity by growing bushier plants at both edges of the scape. Before making changes:

f5ab8cbcc2f85461058d5615ce1492fa.jpg

All the plants spent a few hours underwater just in case of any potential pests. Cardinals in my big tank happy to inspect!

I got some Anubias “Coin Nana”; H.pinitifada and some Starygynae sp

I made little Wabi Kusai with moss (left some rock wool around roots):

76874a83bd0148d83b64c2af31e11afd.jpg

I then either just tucked them into the hard scape or pinned to wall with stainless steel wire. Looks a bit messy but hopefully will add complexity as they grow along the sides:

ca53a6c060f9b275c5d758b25e02e9c7.jpg

The micro climate theory seems to be working, measured humidity is in the mid 80s now. Quite a differential from the room which is in mid 50s

Thanks for looking. T

Few quick snaps. Getting some good growth, now adding 5 ml of TNC light a day. Seems like a lot but I guess the plants have unlimited CO2!

Will do a video when I have access to a better cam.

16241b7a4f02d3092b04549d771f072f.jpg

45c2d2a26a7f72ff4e3dfedd9d5bfe63.jpg

1da981688ae29b058043d934e822d3f0.jpg

Back