The Forgotten Valley - 60l

Discussion in 'Journals' started by aaronnorth, 20 Apr 2008.

1. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

i havent edited the photo as advised like last time, the photo is very poor quality and editing it doesnt help, gives it a cartoon appearence :eek:

maybe i could have more stems rather than the narrow there? I can then shape them going down to the HC so it doesnt look as open?

P101e1718.jpg

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

I have just planted some more stems, i dont think there is enough (width ways) but i didnt want to rip up too much of the HC carpet ;)

kj.jpg
    kjh.jpg

3. steve123

steve123 Newly Registered

yups defo more Hm in there... yeeehaaaaarrrrr ... allow it to drape across them rocks.. nice scape lookin forward to seeing it a lil matured

4. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

few more pics:

ph.jpg
    hm.jpg
    blackneon.jpg

5. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

What co2 system you using on this tank? Your P.herferi looks great, wish mine looked that good!

Sam

6. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

I have a 2kg fire extinghuisher. apart from CO2 i am also dosing 5ml of TPN+ daily so that could also be why the PH looks good. In another thread it was said that it responds well to traces and easycarbo/ excel dosing.

7. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Yeh I find P.He to be great for early signs of trace deficiency, as it turns white pretty quickly, but is easily covered by adding more trace.

Sam

8. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Another update:
    P1011662.jpg
    P1011659.jpg

Again i havent cleaned the tank for 3 weeks, and this time i started to get a small amount of algae, and i also noticed that i have got a lot of organic matter under my HC - probably the cause of Algae

P1011674.jpg
    P1011679.jpg

The HC has needed a good trim for a few weeks now. It is the most growth i have had from all my plants for some reason, so today i literally hacked away at the hemanthius micranthemoides, making quite a mess of it but i couldnt really help it.

P1011685.jpg
    P1011680.jpg

I also planted some more stems to the right, which i will be graduallly sloping down towards the side. I also started to trim my HC but the underneath had already strated to turn yellow, so i decided to rip the whole carpet up. I also thinned out my P.Helferi. This will be creating a ammonia spike, so i did a 80% w/c and i will do more 50% w/c for the next couple od days to make sure i dont get any algae. I will also replace the HC tommorrow (it is sitting in a bucket at the moment)

P1011661.jpg
    P1011667.jpg

What do you think to spreading the HM right along the back to the side of the tank, but keeping it trimmed low?

Thanks for looking :D

9. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

I dunno about keeping it low, but I think a 'well' of stems is always really effective and looks great.

I think this tank looks great how it is though.

10. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Blimey! quite a change in there! If you can keep it low, HM along the back could look good :)

Sam

11. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Here are the updated pics, some may know i started a thread HERE asking for advice on the scape, i havent made many improvments on it yet but i have my plans.

P1011670r.jpg

Thanks

12. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Its really tricky offering advice on a scape. I always find checking things like the CAU guys website gives me lots of food for thought.

Sam

13. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

I just liked these shots particularly because the colour is similar (not green as usual lol) although i think i know why, i looked at the spectrum of my tube and it has a huge green peak, so that could be the cause - I couldnt decide which was the worst :rolleyes:

gj.jpg
    P1011673-1.jpg

Some more news, i took the 5 vallis nana plants out, stripped off all the old leaves and found a few new shoots growing :D so perhaps it has just taken an extremely long time to change from Mark's parameters to mine - which is weird and the only possible problem that i would think is viable, but it still seems strange :?

diffuser.jpg

14. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

P1011670r.jpg
    Tank-2.jpg

The first picture was taken on my old camera, the second is on my new one, which you can see is loads better, i have also learned why photoraphers bang a load of lighting over their tank, it took me ages to find the correct setting lol.

Depth of filed is also much better, not as 2D as before :p

I have also ordered some Borneowild driftwood (5 XS pieces) which i will position them coming out from the back left corner (the rocks are going), and also some Cryptocoryne wendtti 'green' to plant around the base of the wood, the vallis nana has grown some new shoots :D but they are staying at the front until they grw a bit larger, they will then go back to their original position in the back left corner. So hopefully i will have a nice triangular scape :)

Thanks.

15. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

Looking good, I prefer it now you've switched the rocks over. I think it'll be better suited with the BorneoWild aswell. The fern has got massive!

This is just from reading aquascaping articles, but wouldn't it produce a better sense of scale/depth to have the smaller leaved plants (your stems) in the back left and then the fern to the right of them?

16. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Thanks, TBH i am not sure how it would look, but i will see how it looks when the crypts & wood go in, because then the stems will be trimmed even lower.

17. Wilis

Wilis Member

Hi Aaron, Nice scape n great jounal,it'll be interesting to see the changes soon too. Hope to be starting my own in the not too distant future :wideyed: lol
    Just wondering Sam if you could expand on this for me, CAU?

Regards
    Will

18. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

19. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

I've been a bit sneaky and looked on your TFF journal 8) I love the wood, your tank looks much btter now.

20. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

:rolleyes:

You couldnt wait 10mins so i could post on here :lol:

DSCF0023.jpg

Thanks