• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Forgotten Valley - 60l

aaronnorth

I just thought i'd show you guys my 60l, I set this tank up approx 3months ago.

Lighting - Interpet 36w PC (2.5WPG), i can lower this but have never got round to it.

co2 - Nutrafin, diffused by ceramic diffuser

ferts - 2ml TPN+ daily

plants - 3 A.Swords, Dwarf hairgrass, Anubias Barterii, Java Fern

Fauna - 7 RCS, 15 endlers, 4 otto's

I am having a bit of trouble with Hair algae, i have removed loads today (i have just done a 50% w/c so tank is a little cloudy, i'll post a fresh one tommorow :D) I am dosing excell to help. iI also removed the blyxia japonica i had, it didn't look right with the grass and look i wanted. I've removed the moss balls, they were there to help with algae until grass established.The wood is positioned so that it slopes in towards the middle of the tank,

HERE WAS THE PLAN :oops:
tanksetup.jpg

FRONT VIEW
tank.jpg

HARDSCAPE
P1011664.jpg

VIEW I GET WHEN I ENTER ROOM
P1011670.jpg

Thanks, Aaron :D

Re: Aaron's 60l Low Maintenance

I really like that. Nice and minimal and once the hairgrass carpet grows in it'll look great. I had algae problems with DIY CO2. I added EasyCarbo too to help and squirted it directly on the algae to kill it every day.

Ed Seeley said:
I really like that. Nice and minimal and once the hairgrass carpet grows in it'll look great. I had algae problems with DIY CO2. I added EasyCarbo too to help and squirted it directly on the algae to kill it every day.

Thanks, when i did the w/c, i put some excell on the anubias to help, seem to of removed more than i thought actually. :D

I can vouch for Excel too :D Killed off all of my hair algae on my little tank.

Your tank looks really nice :) Will look great when the hair grass fills out more :)

SteveUK said:
I can vouch for Excel too :D Killed off all of my hair algae on my little tank.

Your tank looks really nice :) Will look great when the hair grass fills out more :)

Thanks, unfortunatley they only had 3 pots of hairgrass otherwise i would of got more and it might of almost carpeted :arghh: It will be cut down to the substrate to create a lawn effect and it will be slpoed up to the back etc so it isn't just flat.

Do you know which species of hair grass you have? I have a load of Eleocharis Acicularis, you're welcome to a chunk of it :) It might grow to a different height to your plant (15cm) and add some extra layer/texture... If you have Eleocharis Parvulus (dwarf hairgrass) it grows to about 10cm apparently/.

Let me know if you want some :)

I haven't updated this in a while, it has gone through a few rescapes! Sorry about the quality, took it on phone camera:

fs.jpg

i added the windelov fern in the end, and i chucked the large anubias by accident :( I wasn't going to use it but someone cpuld of made use of it.

It is now more like an iwagumi:

tank001-1.jpg

tank003.jpg

tank004.jpg

LondonDragon is kindly sending me some dwarf riccia and some willow moss, i am going to add a small leafed stem behind the largest rocks, and i am temted to get some Pogostemon Helferi? Any thoughts on this?

How much P.Helferi approx do you get in 1 pot of tropica?

I think my scaping skills have come on a lot, since i last did this tank, i have ripped out a lot of the grass, and took quite a few leaves with the algae, hopefully it is gone, still aiting for my plug adapte for my CO2, ordered it last week :rolleyes:

All critisicms welcome. :D

lookin good mate.

p helferi is certainly a nice looking plant. was recomended to me by george. seems a good plant for making transitions from 1 variety to another. mine wasnt tropica, it was the other firm that maidenhead stock. aquafleur i think. in there pots there were at least 5 plantable plants and in some pots there was lots of new growth.

actualy there hc was much better than tropicas(more of it) i have some spare hc (2 pots)if you want any.

aquafleur are good, i might go to MA tommorow, and get some rotala wallichi, i am having another look first to make my mind up on the stem plant.

thanks for the offer of HC, i have the riccia & moss coming from LD first though so i will see about space & looks

I had 7 stalks of P. Helferi from MA, and they looked great, growing nice too - up to 12 stalks after 8 weeks :)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g197/ ... IM1374.jpg

I agree with sainty on the HC. My aquafleur pots from MA were huge compared to Tropica pots I've seen, and MA supply them 5 pots for £10. Its just a case of finding a good MA who look after their plants. Or do what I do and go in the day the plants arrive, so snails and algae doesn't get them first.

Quick update, i have put int the plants LD sent me (cheers mate) the MM wasnt in the best condition but they have a fresh batch in a few days back and are sending me some more for free :D
I have also added the P.Helferi which i have been wanting to try for ages, i got that from lstratton (thanks).

So my tank is looking better (and so is the UKAPS bank ;) )

asdhl.jpg

Back