• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Forgotten Valley - 60l

Re: Aaron's 60l Low Maintenance

Everything is growing mega quick now the pressurized CO2 is running smoothly! You cant tell someone how good it is until you have used it. Someone had turned the large knob on the reg and emptied my bottle :twisted: but i got one the next day from Dan (thanks).

Everything is growing well except the java fern. i have had it 6 months now, it came with 1 leaf on the rhizome and i am up to 4 :( It's slow growing but this just takes the michael! Any reasons?

I also took out the dwarf hairgrass, it was to formerly arranged.

The MM has filled in nicely but i still dont know what plant to use in the back left? any suggestions? I was thinking about a large thicket of java fern. Ade has offered me some mexican oakleaf but i dont know whether it will go well with this scape?

My mums got the camera so i will get a picture later.

Thanks, Aaron

Pics as promised, all the plants have been trimmed earlier this morning, the riccia is doing great,

P1010431-1.jpg

I changed the WB on this one
P1010444.jpg

P1010436.jpg

I did try a pararama shot but i did it the wrong way round :lol: :oops:

P1010433.jpg

I will do another sometime or i might just edit this one

microsorum pteropus 'narrow' has come this morning from AE (thanks), just needs attaching to something now then i will post a full tank shot. i also bought some proper back blackground so there are no more lines that you could see on the previous one. The outside thermometer has gone with a bit of elbow grease, i dont know how you can move them! On the packaging it said removemable :rolleyes: They only record the glass or room temperatur anyeay heater is set a 24/25C and that was saying 28C :wideyed:

P1011705.jpg

I took that shock mainly for pacticing a bit of photography and i think it come out great, i changed the brightness on the camera as before it was coming out bright green.

Thanks for looking.

I invested in a grid for the riccia, looks neater now but it is too high so next ime i will cut it in half. The MM has taken off now as i gave it a good prune last weekend, excuse the P.Hekferi which is so neatly placed, it will change - i am just waiting for the plantlets to get a bit larger.

P1011706.jpg

The patch on the grid is where some Riccia fell off :angry:

I also moved the 2 outer rocks slightly as reccomended by George, i like the right hand rock as you can now see a bit more shape to it.

well i was doing my weekly maintenace and i decided to seperate all the P.Helferi plants, looking more natural now. I also halfed the riccia grids which also looks better. I took some of my sand out as it went anerobic, hopefully this will help. Everything is growing better than before. I did an 80% w/c incase of any NH3 spikes, i will also do a 50% w/c tommorow aswell as trimming the MM. My mum went to fetch a chinese and on the way back she saw smoke in the feild (nursing home field)next to us (you can probobaly guess whats coming) Anyway it looked like a bonfire (thought they might of been burning off some grass or something) so i ran upstairs and there were a fair bit of smoke coming from a tree, then all of a sudden flames started to appear :crazy: anyway i phoned the Fire brigade and they were out in 4 minutes. after 25mins they had been & gone, took them as long to wind the hose back up as it did to put the fire out lol. They had to jump over the fence and have a good 200-300metre walk. I got a few pics:

THEY ARRIVE:
DSC00391.jpg

CLOSE UP:
DSC00389.jpg

THE FIRE:
DSC00388.jpg

THE FIELD:
DSC00390.jpg

PACKING UP & CROWD GATHERING:
DSC00392.jpg

Respect for the Notts fire Team :nod:

Thanks for looking!

the HC arrived today (thanks Mark) i never realised how small the leaves were!!! I knew they were smaller than glosso but i never knew they were that small. It took me 2 hours to plant it all (ouch, my back & neck :( ) it looks good though and i think it will compliment the scape well. He also sent me some E.Tennulus which i positioned behind the microsorum pteropus narrow. Excuse the pics, i really couldnt be bothered lol

P1010061.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010066.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010063.jpg

comments & critique welcome :)

anyine got any ideas for a name? The valley/ forgotten valley? Ideas please :D

wow, its vitualy covered your foreground. it looks though you could plant it a little deeper. the stems above the substrate might start growing up wards. let it establish for a week or 2 and start to trimm it. you gotta keep it low :D

it already has made an improvement to your once Barron foreground.

The valley!

mark

it looks though you could plant it a little deeper.

You know i used to like you Mark :twisted: :lol:

the stems above the substrate might start growing up wards. let it establish for a week or 2 and start to trimm it. you gotta keep it low :D

I will see how it does, i just planted it so the roots and a bit of the stem were in the substrate as i thought it might rot.

it already has made an improvement to your once Barron foreground.

Thanks, it lt the whole tank down, cant wait until it grows in :D

The valley!

1 Vote to the valley then :D

How do you trim it? Do you just treat it like a stem plant?

aaronnorth said:
I will see how it does, i just planted it so the roots and a bit of the stem were in the substrate as i thought it might rot.

you can put an inch in the substrate, leafs aswell. it will take.

aaronnorth said:
How do you trim it? Do you just treat it like a stem plant?

i just went along with sharp trimming scissors. re plant what you've cut.

95a9f2e1.jpg

no it dont matter. ive planted an inch in the substrate with just 2 leafs slightly visible, and its grown back. you see( im no expert) i think because its come from a submerged state already, you stand a better chance of its survival so less need to worry about it if you bought it in its emersed state if you get my drift...

saintly said:
no it dont matter. ive planted an inch in the substrate with just 2 leafs slightly visible, and its grown back. you see( im no expert) i think because its come from a submerged state already, you stand a better chance of its survival so less need to worry about it if you bought it in its emersed state if you get my drift...

yes, i have read that it is better to leave it in the pots for a few days to acclimatise it

i think i need some better scissors seen as it is so small! I dont need the whole set so dont reccomend UKAPS set (although i would like one :lol: )

i will have a look on ebay. I think my local MA had some JBL ones in last time. If i remeber rightly they were £20 :?

Update:

I have took the windelov fern out and will be using more pogostemon helferi in its place to kee the midground simple, HC is filling in nicely as are the stems, bushing out really well now.

i have upped the dosing to 10ml daily and there is a remarkable difference!

Unfortunatley this wont be ready for the AGA competition (deadline is monday 15th :( ) i really hought it would ake it but the CO2 running out while i was away really set it back when i got BBA everywhere :( Maybe next year :)

P1020124.jpg

Excuse the mess (it is bloodworm :blush: )
P1020123.jpg

P1020122.jpg

P1020120.jpg

P1020119.jpg

P1020125.jpg

Back