• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Forgotten Valley - 60l

i havent edited the photo as advised like last time, the photo is very poor quality and editing it doesnt help, gives it a cartoon appearence :eek:

maybe i could have more stems rather than the narrow there? I can then shape them going down to the HC so it doesnt look as open?

P101e1718.jpg

yups defo more Hm in there... yeeehaaaaarrrrr ... allow it to drape across them rocks.. nice scape lookin forward to seeing it a lil matured

Themuleous said:
What co2 system you using on this tank? Your P.herferi looks great, wish mine looked that good!

Sam

I have a 2kg fire extinghuisher. apart from CO2 i am also dosing 5ml of TPN+ daily so that could also be why the PH looks good. In another thread it was said that it responds well to traces and easycarbo/ excel dosing.

Another update:
P1011662.jpg

P1011659.jpg

Again i havent cleaned the tank for 3 weeks, and this time i started to get a small amount of algae, and i also noticed that i have got a lot of organic matter under my HC - probably the cause of Algae

P1011674.jpg

P1011679.jpg

The HC has needed a good trim for a few weeks now. It is the most growth i have had from all my plants for some reason, so today i literally hacked away at the hemanthius micranthemoides, making quite a mess of it but i couldnt really help it.

P1011685.jpg

P1011680.jpg

I also planted some more stems to the right, which i will be graduallly sloping down towards the side. I also started to trim my HC but the underneath had already strated to turn yellow, so i decided to rip the whole carpet up. I also thinned out my P.Helferi. This will be creating a ammonia spike, so i did a 80% w/c and i will do more 50% w/c for the next couple od days to make sure i dont get any algae. I will also replace the HC tommorrow (it is sitting in a bucket at the moment)

P1011661.jpg

P1011667.jpg

What do you think to spreading the HM right along the back to the side of the tank, but keeping it trimmed low?

Thanks for looking :D

I dunno about keeping it low, but I think a 'well' of stems is always really effective and looks great.

I think this tank looks great how it is though.

Themuleous said:
Blimey! quite a change in there! If you can keep it low, HM along the back could look good :)

Sam

Here are the updated pics, some may know i started a thread HERE asking for advice on the scape, i havent made many improvments on it yet but i have my plans.

P1011670r.jpg

Thanks

I just liked these shots particularly because the colour is similar (not green as usual lol) although i think i know why, i looked at the spectrum of my tube and it has a huge green peak, so that could be the cause - I couldnt decide which was the worst :rolleyes:

gj.jpg

P1011673-1.jpg

Some more news, i took the 5 vallis nana plants out, stripped off all the old leaves and found a few new shoots growing :D so perhaps it has just taken an extremely long time to change from Mark's parameters to mine - which is weird and the only possible problem that i would think is viable, but it still seems strange :?

diffuser.jpg

P1011670r.jpg

Tank-2.jpg

The first picture was taken on my old camera, the second is on my new one, which you can see is loads better, i have also learned why photoraphers bang a load of lighting over their tank, it took me ages to find the correct setting lol.

Depth of filed is also much better, not as 2D as before :p

I have also ordered some Borneowild driftwood (5 XS pieces) which i will position them coming out from the back left corner (the rocks are going), and also some Cryptocoryne wendtti 'green' to plant around the base of the wood, the vallis nana has grown some new shoots :D but they are staying at the front until they grw a bit larger, they will then go back to their original position in the back left corner. So hopefully i will have a nice triangular scape :)

Thanks.

Looking good, I prefer it now you've switched the rocks over. I think it'll be better suited with the BorneoWild aswell. The fern has got massive!

This is just from reading aquascaping articles, but wouldn't it produce a better sense of scale/depth to have the smaller leaved plants (your stems) in the back left and then the fern to the right of them?

Thomas McMillan said:
Looking good, I prefer it now you've switched the rocks over. I think it'll be better suited with the BorneoWild aswell. The fern has got massive!

This is just from reading aquascaping articles, but wouldn't it produce a better sense of scale/depth to have the smaller leaved plants (your stems) in the back left and then the fern to the right of them?

Thanks, TBH i am not sure how it would look, but i will see how it looks when the crypts & wood go in, because then the stems will be trimmed even lower.

Hi Aaron, Nice scape n great jounal,it'll be interesting to see the changes soon too. Hope to be starting my own in the not too distant future :wideyed: lol
Themuleous said:
I always find checking things like the CAU guys website gives me lots of food for thought.

Sam
Just wondering Sam if you could expand on this for me, CAU?

Regards
Will

Back