• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Golden Hour

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I've not been able to get out enough for landscape photography lately, but took the opportunity last night to grab my gear and took a small walk to a local field.

Lincolnshire is notoriously flat so you generally have to rely on decent skies if you want a good composition. The horizon is central which I usually avoid but I think it works in this case.

HDR with Photomatix Pro, then some minor adjustments in CS3, re-sized and converted to jpeg.

3684524320_9fb1476ed6_o.jpg

Well thats just delightful! i love the corn, the yellow heads aren't very natural looking but adds an extra dimension to the picture, for me it invoked a feeling of things to come.

HDR rocks, i need to get involved!

As always, love ya work :D

nice.

personally, although leading lines are great from tractors, they're slightly less uniform here.

the HDR effect is nailed though. :D

I like the shot George, looks very dramatic, almost looks like a painting!
Never tried HRD looks interesting, but then again there are only so many hours in a day!! hehe

LondonDragon said:
I like the shot George, looks very dramatic, almost looks like a painting!
Never tried HRD looks interesting, but then again there are only so many hours in a day!! hehe
Thanks, Paulo.

The 'painting' effect is common with HDR, as it brings out detail in the underexposed areas, yet retains details in the overexposed area. The result, if over-processed, can look very flat and unnatural.

HDR takes minutes with Photomatix. If I can do it, anyone can! You can trial it free too.

Our very own Stu Worrall is the master with HDR landscapes.

TDI-line said:
Spot on George, and i think i can see my house from there... ;)
Not far off mate! ;)

Yeah I agree with the others. Love the foreground detail in this shot complimenting the drama occurring above George. Well done mate.

Cheers,

George Farmer said:
Where do you get your fish?

theres a few places that are good for different reasons, boston has a very small shop but a nice fish selection and there is woodthorpe aquatics (next to the garden centre) which has loads of equipment but not a great fish selection. the tropica plants there are very bad condition but knowone buys them really. they also have a good marine section and loads of pond fish.

Looks like the mother ship is preparing to land....... Or maybe I've just had one glass too many :D

Lovely photo.

George Farmer said:
stuworrall said:
really nice shot george, really balanced with the hdr and not overdone :)

i really need to get out more too, havent done much landscape stuff for a while
This inspired me mate.... http://www.flickr.com/photos/sworrall/3666755544/
Cheers George :D I wasnt sure about putting that one up on flickr as it breaks a few rules with it ignoring the rule of thirds but I didnt want to chop off too much of the sky or the wheat!. that one is actually not an HDR, it was souped up with some Nik B&W software ive been trying.

I missed this George,

I really like that shot. Its similar to what we have seen of yours to date, but this is more refined with a slight stylized, urban, but rural look to it, which I like. I could see it on some rich couples wall in the inner city.

Nice work mate. Wish I could get my some funds for HDR soft wear, a new lens,better tripod...blah blah blah, lol :lol:

Any one got any spare hours in the day I can have to get out with my camera????? :rolleyes:

Back