• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Samjpikey

Hey .

This is going to be my first proper attempt at an 'aqua scape '. My previous set ups mainly consisted of low light plants which looked like a mess so want something with a little bit more work.
I am planning to plant a DSM 2 weeks today but there's a few things I need to query etc.
The layout I have chosen isn't necessarily the layout I'm going to stick with , the rocks have come from my garden which I have bleached soaked and boiled to get rid of any impurities.
I'm stuck on where to position the outflow of the filter/co2 distribution. I have already bought 2 intense bazookas which I hear good reviews about but worried about where to position it along with the out flow of the filter, either intake and out flow at same end of the tank with the bazooka at the other end, I would put a small spray bar along the width on the right side top and hopefully that would be enough to disperse the co2 ( that being placed on the left side bottom) .
Or buy an up in line and disperse it via a spray bar along the back
Any constructive criticism welcome with both co2 and layout.
Cheers
Plants will be Elocharis acicularis to the rear around the stones, staurogyne repens between the stones and hemianthus callitrichoides as the main foreground carpet.

Set up
Tank- jewel 100x30x40 /glass top
Filtration - aqua manta efx400 / spray bar
Lighting - DIY led bridgelux 1watt LEDs @ 37watts 10k 6k 3k
Substrate - Ada Amazonia new / kitty litter base
Heating - 200watt heater
Hardscape - Garden rock
Ferts - Kno3 , kh2po4 , mgs04 , trace
Seachem excell
Co2 - up aqua a-164 dual gauge single stage
Up inline / intense bazookas

Dusk /dawn setting

p2bWZJ2.jpg

Main photo period light

1FGakfY.jpg

Taken with my iPad.
Thanks for looking and please advice welcome.
Cheers Sam

Plants ordered today .

Eleocharis acicularis x 2 pots in vitro

Hemianthus callitrichoides x 3 pots in vitro

£30 from eBay .

Now I need to obtain staurogyne repens .
Cheers

Plants arrived and it was more then what I expected . Just got to wait for the staurogyne to arrive to fill in between the rocks.

So started to plant and It took forever :) ! Filled with water to lowest point and the tank has a sheet of glass over to create the greenhouse effect. Sprayed a light mist and covered.
21c~ with lights off and 24c+ with lights on .
I will upload another picture when the staurogyne is planted in.
Thanks for viewing.
Cheers

S80c4Ml.jpg

rHWZc0f.jpg

o2Wj52M.jpg

acUxcHV.jpg

uPgTaee.jpg

v4nxLZ2.jpg

nZDNRwu.jpg

Staurogyne repens all in now the waiting commences .
I'm in no rush with this so will be waiting to be fully grown in.
Will upload a picture update every 1-2 weeks ,
Cheers

70KTNmE.jpg

Thats a LOT of HC! I like the hardscape. Nice to see you've used something different to the fashionable rock types.

Thanks for the comment ,
I didnt want to buy rock when they can be hand picked from the garden :)
I paid £30 for all the plants not bad I thought and the more hc there is the better/faster it will establish ( I hope ) .
I received way more then I thought and I'm looking forward to it progressing .
Cheers

Just for the record I'm misting with Scottish highland bottled water and these are the parameters , whether or not it does make a difference I don't know , but it doesn't contain chlorine or nasties :) and is cheaper then chips !!

NAzqG22.jpg

Growth of plants over 7 hours today . Time lapse at 2 fps
I found it interesting to see the activity of the plants . A lot of movement with the staurogyne but Not much with the hc and hg although you can see growth :)
I will be setting up for a week long time lapse to see the amount of growth , so hopefully see some good shots :)
Cheers

Very interesting keep this up! Will look forward for more updates. The DSM has always interested me, the only thing that had put me off trying to do a DSM is probably the need of CO2 when you "flood" the tank as I run low tech tanks. But this will be useful for future references.

looking good love HC carpets wish I went with that next time I will keep updates coming

Dean

Really looking forward to seeing how much growth there is with the timelapse as I am noticing alot growth everyday , especially with the staurogyne. The hc is throwing out runners on every plantlet, I plan to post an update picture tomorrow as it has been 10 days since planted, I am getting yellowing in the eleocharis but it is rooting well and I can see new growth so I hope the yellowing is just sign of it acclimatising to my setup.
I'm lucky with it being so warm as the current temp right now with lights off is 24c-25c , and the LEDs don't have a huge impact on heat.
Cheers for looking though guys :)

Cheers for the comment , I'm doing a time lapse to Cover the next 5 days of growth , It will be of the same shot but I would like to do one of just the hc to see the activity and then one of the whole tank .
Cheers

It was just a fine mesh/netting from a garden centre down the road from where I live , what's the footprint of your tank as I have some more which could be enough , you can have it :)
Cheers

Hey guys ,
Here is a failed attempt of a timelapse if im honest , need to get myself a tripod :/ ...bit shaky and camera gets moved about a little, bit frustrating but I got impatient and wanted to post ...
The staurogyne has a strange habit of opening and closing its leaves over the photoperiod and on the last day the battery went :( so placed it on charge and resumed straight away so missed out some footage , anyways .....
It has 242 frames taken every 10 mins over 3.5 days and I've played it at 5 fps

Cheers

Back