• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Green Corner (planted on page 2)

Dominik_K

Hi,

yesterday I started ordering the first pieces for my next scape. The Lighting I planned on using is going out of production (at least I think so), which made me start a bit faster than I thought I would.

As I promised within my introduction thread, here is my journal coming with that project.

This tank by the member Million of UKAPS inspired me and I will try something similar. Here is what I came up with so far. But since the light is the only thing I ordered at the moment, everything else is still flexible:

Equipment
Tank: 80 x 40 x 40 rimless float glass custommade tank.
Filter: Either Eden 522, JBL e901 or Tetra EX 800 Plus
Light: Chihiros 80 cm (50 Watts / up to 7.200 Lumens, dimmable in seven levels)
CO2: 500 gr. pressurized System (inherited from my current tank)
Stand: Aquatlantis Fusion 80 Stand.

Hardscape & Substrate
Substrate: Environment Soil, Lavagranulate (to save some Soil), white or ocher sand
Hardscape: Basalt Rock (approx. 25 kg), Redmore Wood (got some nice pieces in my storage room)

Plants
On the woods:
Microsorum pteropus, either 'Trident' or 'Narrow' (three pots)
Hygrophila pinnatifida (one 8.5 cm In Vitro cup)
Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite' (three pots)

Around the woods:
Staurogyne Repens (one 8.5 cm In Vitro cup)
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' (one In Vitro cup, either 5.5 or 8.5 cm)

Front Area:
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (three 8.5 In Vitro cups)

Behind the woods:

Vallisneria nana 'Tiger' (two pots)

Since the tank needs about four to six weeks to be built, I expect this project to take a little bit longer. But that's a perfect match for a students wallet.

That's it so far, hope you stay tuned for the next updates, that while come as soon as i get new pieces :)

Best Regards
Dominik

Last edited:
Hi,

arriving at home, I took a picture of the woods I have available. Those were the first steps I took, to aquire the hardscape needed for the new project.

IMG_20170502_183154-min.jpg

Best Regards and have a nice day
Dominik

Hi,

thanks for sharing your experience. Your post supports some things Madhav mentioned in post #2. If a Tetra EX1200 is needed for a 60p, I should not use a EX800 for a tank with twice the volume :) This helped me a lot.

Best Regards
Dominik

I've had a e901 in a 80x40x40 tank, it will not be enough also. You would be better with the e1501 or a pro 3/4 250 or 350. I currently use a 350 and I'm very pleased.

Enviado do meu HUAWEI GRA-L09 através de Tapatalk

Well, I actually used 2 filters, the jbl running an ista inline reactor, and an ecco pro 300 with inline heater. The jbl wasn't capable of lifting the dirt out of the moss on the opposite side of the outflow. Even with the reactor, it made almost half the lph than the ecco pro with the same reactor. So I ditched it. Both cleaned, the ecco pro made about 600 lph, the jbl 400 or less. I've made the test with 2 jbl from a friend of mine and the values were about the same.
Another thing I didn't like was the hose connections, I've always had a hard time for them not to leak some drops.

My 350 is on full power but I've had to put a blau lilly pipe, with the eheim tubbing the plants directly in front of the outflow were being lifted from the substrate.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply :) gives me a great insight on what your problems were. Currently still thinking about this topic, since the Eheim pro 350 is pretty expensive for a student, but lets see what solution I can realize. Maybe I can find something second hand.

Yesterday my lighting system arrived. It looks pretty solid and I am really glad that there is a dimmer attached to it. It puts out tons of light.

IMG_20170506_181733-min-iloveimg-cropped.jpg IMG_20170506_181743-min-iloveimg-cropped.jpg

Had a boring morning and did a little sketch. Not what I planned so far, but I like it. Please note: I am not an artist and I even do not have reasonable colored pencils or blank paper. Just a black, red and green pen in comination with a college block ;)

Attachments

• ZeichnungScape.jpg
    ZeichnungScape.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 175
Hi,

yesterday I had a little bit of progress: Stand and stones arrived. So I assembled the stand and tuned some things to the better. Still some things to do, but I need to get further parts.

At the end, I did a first hardcape layout on a bit of styrofoam ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20170526_143700.jpg
    IMG_20170526_143700.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20170526_165700.jpg
    IMG_20170526_165700.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20170526_143644.jpg
    IMG_20170526_143644.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 186
Hi,

yesterday I had a little bit of progress: Stand and stones arrived. So I assembled the stand and tuned some things to the better. Still some things to do, but I need to get further parts.

At the end, I did a first hardcape layout on a bit of styrofoam ;)

That stand looks like mine, just in white. :)

Do you have more and larger stones or is that all?

That scape is close to your drawing.

Nice cabinet full of interesting stuff. I have 2 tetra ex800's and they both developed problems soon after buying them, the one I'm using now it's flow is not what it should be. It's quite compared to my sunsun but the sunsun will match your cabinet.

Hi,

Do you have more and larger stones or is that all?

Sadly I don't have bigger ones. But there is a lot more in this size. Since I have a tight budget, everythings needs to be a bit cheaper leading to a package of 18 kg diabas stone for the price of 6 € ;) (with a lot of luck). Next week I will visit my LFS and see if I can get some bigger pieces of a similar looking stone for a good price.

And as you said, I am trying to achieve something like the drawing.

Hardscape looking promising already!

Thank you very much! gave my best with what I had ;)

Nice cabinet full of interesting stuff. I have 2 tetra ex800's and they both developed problems soon after buying them, the one I'm using now it's flow is not what it should be. It's quite compared to my sunsun but the sunsun will match your cabinet.

Thanks for your experiences. In the meanwhile, I switched over to hydor (professional 350). This filter does even more flow than the eheim pro4 350 and is as quiet as the eheim. The only issue is some leaking if you take off the hoses. But that is no problem. Every canister I use is placed in a box in case of some missfunctions. So the leaking will just run into this box, thats fine ;)

Tried to play around with the hardscape yesterday evening and today morning.
Those are the results. I will gather them here to chose the right one when the tank arrives ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20170528_084741.jpg
    IMG_20170528_084741.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20170528_074322.jpg
    IMG_20170528_074322.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 139
Looking real nice so far.
I likedthe hardscape you did in the previous post better. The greater hight to the rockwork gave a better sence of depth to the layout IMHO. Sometime less is more.
With your proposed planting layout it will look great.

Hi,

I agree, first one is the best yet.

But with an tank this size, I would try something more original and natural looking than this 'Island style'.

Little inspiration pic for you, that scape seems compatible with your rocks/woods/plants :)

170528064020473822.jpg

Cheers, enjoy hardscaping ;)

Back