• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Green Machine - New display tank pics as requested

I had my 20 " cube made in 10mm opti white due to the tank size (rimless braceless is going to need 10 mm to hold it together i would have thought) however Ive just ordered 60cm x 30cm x 30cm in 6mm. Guess it just depends on the size of the tank.

Sweet post guys, glad to see it finaly planted.

Whats it called guys??? Something showers on an upturned.....whats it again, haha, perhaps not! :lol:

Really nice use of the best quality brands around.

Thanks Graeme,

Funny-we were thinking of something along those lines however,

"In my dreams" is as good as anything so that will do.

"There is no past, there is no future, there is only now"

The scaping is looking good Jimmy.
It'll be nice watching it mature and seeing what the plant growth from the ADA products will do.
Also I like the diffuser ~ looks very futuristic.
See you Saturday x

Are you sure you mean the diffuser and not the drop checker? The diffuser looks very much like the one's almost everyone on here uses, except ADA and not Rhinnox.

PM said:
Looking good, though I must say that I think that glass looks awful that thick on such a small tank, what's the point of having lovely clear glass with big lumps (the edges) on the sides. I know that you can get thinner and I would definitely go thinner than that.

Just my opinion (please take no offense) but I do feel very strongly about glass thickness, after all, I am a
designer :lol: :oops:

Hi Pm,i have just returned from TGM and i must say i have to totally disagree with your "awful" opinion on the thickness of the 10mm opti-white tank,I think the 10mm glass gives a sense of security against being accidentally knocked by over zealous house wives doing the hoovering (you wont my wife hoovering round your setup i can tell you :twisted: )and i think the whole setup just looked absolutley georgeous and i cant wait to order my set up soon yes in 10MM glass,Also by design the bespoke cabinets should complement the opti-white tanks beautifully, The whole range of wood finishes look really nice and is huge, chooseing will be fun on its own,see you soon Jim/mark thanks for all the brews, regards john :D

Absolutely, of course it is stronger, but that tank is 65x45x45 and 8mm glass would suffice and shaving a nice 2mm off of those edges would look much better - more minimalist and un-obstructive in my view. If it was 60x30x36 would say 5mm glass. For a 60x60x60 then yes, you would new the extra thickness of the 10mm, but with that greater volume it would appear less clunky. It's just a matter of taste, I argue with people all day long about these kinds of things, believe me.

So to sum up, I think if I was to spend that much on a minimalist tank, I'd be making sure it was as damn minimalist as possible! Less is more sometimes... :D

This is not even a real issue that we are talking about here.

These tanks are bespoke and as such YOU get to choose the thickness of glass that YOU like.

We with our own experience In the fields of both photography and aquatics happen to like the 10mm better;as interestingly enough does John Starkey.

The only difference here is that both John and ourselves have actually SEEN the product.

If you are really interested in developing a true idea on 10mm then a visit to the shop might not be a bad idea you might enjoy our "purist" approach to the hobby and its always good to meet new faces.

We do believe that on the "nano" size tanks that 5 or 6mm glass is more in keeping with scale and would agree here.There is also a fragility and with children particularly a safety issue which should be carefully considered.

Anyway the final choice of glass thickness is ultimately in your own hands.

Oh all of our tanks whether 6mm 10mm or 15mm come finished in "Tankguard" on the inner surfaces,its a bit like "Teflon" for glass and makes cleaning a doddle.Also it doesn't add any extra thickness to the glass lol

I can vouch for everything that TGM are saying because I too was there yesterday with John and can honestly say that the glass being 10mm is definitely NOT an issue. When i first saw the tank i was absolutely speechless, the quality of the tank is far,far beyond anything i've ever seen before, and seeing it dressed in ADA's finest bling was the icing on the cake for me. I definitely want one in the near future.

TGM 15/10 for this tank 8) 8) Wonderful scape aswell.

Regards
Wayne

Very nice setup guys, i can't wait to up come and have a browse.

How are you finding the aquasoil in regards of ammonia leaching and water changing so far?

Cheers, Pete.

Pretty prolific but we are carrying out 1/2 tank water change daily and throwing in an internal each evening with about 1lb of fresh carbon in it.

By the way the external that we used for this tank was established for a year already but was not even near to coping with the spike.

I saw the aquarium on sunday and opti-white is really quite somthing. I was not going to take somone elses word for it. I dont think 10mm vs 8mm is that big an issue for many people, the 10mm looked VERY nice and the tank isnt exactly tiny. However envious I am, I dont think i could have justified optiwhite for the size aquarium i am now setting up...although it would have looked amazing!

I would definately consider it for a smaller aquarium...in the future.

Visited TGM for the first time on sunday and was very impressed with this tank, growing in very nicely. Decided on a future Opti White 10mm glass over 20mm Acrylic on seeing the quality of Jim's setup. 400+ mile round trip wasn't cheap on fuel but, meeting mark and jim, seeing the shop display tanks, ADA goods and the obvious passion for what they are doing made for a worthwhile trip. From Amano to Wabi-Kusa, this shop is a must visit!

Cheers, pete

Here is a small update on how the scape is doing (2 weeks after being planted).

tgm_opti_2wks_2.jpg

Back