• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Heat

Quite a lott of devasting forest fires in Europe, people having to evacuate their homes and seeing on the news record temperatures in UK with fires breaking out. Hoping it's going cool down a bit soon

I've definitely been struggling with it as I work outside and my employer decided black uniform was the way to go 🥵
More worried about my fish as they're mostly temperate and on the cooler side of that,2 power cuts today did not help and one tank of gobies was at 31 degrees when I got home but thankfully no losses.

I drop in frozen water filled ice cream containers in larger tanks but it melts very quickly and really doesn't seem worth it as the temperature doesn't seem to change. Maybe in smaller tanks it might help but controlling the drop...... A fan running flat out across the surface I think would be more beneficial or step up the air cond. if you have it.

Dirk

This was the temp in my kitchen window yesterday after lunch:

MicrosoftTeams-image (8) (Small).jpeg

Lucky enough last year when my dog was very sick I purchased an aircon unit to protect the dog from the heat and helped again this summer, in the study where we were working from home and the dogs were, managed to keep the temp at 23-25C so everyone was fine!

I have this large 18 inch floor fan that I pointed at the tank on full blast and managed to keep the temps under 27C, did perform a water change in the morning over the last 3 days also to keep the temps down. So far so good!

Lets hope this is not the new norm, I will need to move out of central London that is for sure and out of a block of flats!

The first day I kept all the windows and curtains closed and it stayed at 25c inside but peaked at 38c outside. The next day I did the same and with all the accumulated heat it was hard to stay under 30c and I think the tanks are just under that now. I can count on one hand the number of days I haven't took my dog out for a walk in the seven years we have had her but she didn't go out yesterday.

I may be a wishful thinker but hopefully this kind of weather gives people the kick up the blahblahblahblah to do something. Before it was normally all so far away and seemingly out of our hands (been watching you poor guys and girls in oz suffer for a very long time) but with rails buckling, houses burning and droughts maybe people will at least concede we are having an effect on our climate and should mitigate the damage.

I love the heat, but have to be careful. Very nearly lost my life to heatstroke when i was in my early 20s. Apparantly you can be more susceptible to it once you have had it.
Stupid dog just lays out in it. This was the peak of the heat on Tuesday
20220718_155550.jpg

Completely refuses to lay in the shade, even in 40°c 🙄
Have to keep bringing her back inside.
She is from Spain so doesn't seem to care.
Quite surprised I haven't heard reports of the moorland being on fire round here, seems to happen all the time in the summer. Normally idiots starting it though.

Hi all,
Various members of my extended family are trying to escape London (and the Home Counties) and flee to the cheaper, cooler North.
Lets hope this is not the new norm, I will need to move out of central London that is for sure and out of a block of flats!
I think we've been down <"this route before">?

<"Corsham"> is very nice, and when you sell your flat you will be able to buy <"Corsham Court"> and some change left over.

cheers Darrel

I'm originally from Greece and I'm used to heatwaves (>40 °C), sunburns, etc and learned how to deal with them.
I must say though, this heatwave was a different beast. It felt like it was 50 °C, because of the humidity.
Keeping windows and curtains closed during the day and opening all windows after sunset helps to keep the house a bit cooler.
Looks like Albion is turning into a tropical island. I'm seriously thinking of installing window shutters and air con units.... and buying a surf board. In your face Hawaii! 😂

There are lots of things that can be done to mitigate heat islands, temperatures rising and temperature deaths. The uk is unlikely to do any of them looking at governmental/political trends. No money to be made in providing public services or investing in infrastructure that isn’t easily profiteered from.
Adapting to climate change as nation of renters and profiteering landlords who already don’t do whats necessary, let alone what will be necessary for in 5 years…

I mean, I can go on. It doesn’t look promising.

Plant more trees. Boycott, picket and protest companies and make them hurt if they don’t change. If voting doesn’t get the change you need and the investment needed to continue to live a dignified life on a habitable planet, go out and have a French Revolution. I see bread riots in the near future.

Plant more trees.

Completely agree but with the caveat that we need to look after them until they establish. As an example we had several trees planted on our local pitch and putt course and we thought they were being sensible for once because they planted them near the sprinkler supplies. Unfortunately this was just a coincidence as they have neglected to water them even though they watered the greens, even in a downpour. We moved the sprinklers a few times but they have succumbed to our drought.
Elsewhere trees have popped up with these water bag surrounds and they have kept them filled but neglected to water the trees they planted last year that were next door.

Planted a million trees sounds amazing but not if most of them die.

The heatwave has also damaged some really important wildlife areas around us. For those that watch spring watch, wild ken hill took a real battering from wild fires:(

The job I couldn’t get was landscape architect. We were told if you want 1mil trees in 10 years then you need to plant 6mil to hit those numbers.

Unfortunately most councils/building firms/landowners think that planting a tree is the only work they need to do. There needs to be better understanding of streetrees as utility and as more than a “dump one here” parsley on the mashed potato.

Where my Sister lives, they have just ripped out every beautiful mature tree on their street (must be 40 of them) regardless of whether there were raised roots or not, then laid new tarmac pavements, and then re-planted trees that will take 15yrs to get even close to what they had before…..but hey, they planted trees right! 😡

That sounds like here. Mad rush to remove all non native trees and re plant with native variety's. WHY..... native gum trees here in AU are killers. They drop branches for no good reason and just shed a branch or two. They also grow to monstrous heights and become dangerous to houses. I know koalas need native gums but its a single variety they need only.

Dirk

My parents just got back from the new forest and one picture I saw looked like a Serengeti watering hole. It was so dried up and parched but with an odd mix of donkeys and ponies rather than wildebeest and antilope. Normally there is a missive pond in its place.

Back