• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Henge part 2 MA @ eastbridgford

aaronnorth said:
thats a nice little riccia patch you have growing there lol.

:lol: i know, it's so crap! there were 3 but 2 pulled away. that one you see has tenellus and acicularis running through it so it wont budge without trashing everything that surrounds it :?

the HC in this tank grew close to the substrate from the off, although a couple of trimming sessions has tightened it up.seriously i was amazed at adding more KNo3 improved it's health no end. it was a dull green until the dosing was forced a little, now it's greened up a load. defining lines up to rocks seems to really work well with HC too :D more little bits of info being learnt all the time.

i just doubled it from (off the top of my head as i dont dose it) 1/4 to a half.double dose. you see i went through every part of the set up....co2 kno3 po4 and trace.

the co2 was the first to be upped, HC still looked ok
increase po4.....GSA disappeared, hc looked ok
upped trace, no change. not sure if it was linked but algae on stone increased. snalis saw that off though

upped kno3, saw a difference. i remember reading it in a thread the hc also like kno3.
i also think trimming encouraged stronger greener growth.

I need to trim mine. Been going quite heavy on the ferts, though I might up it a bit :) I'm lucky enough so far to have no algae as far as I can see!

I think trimming it should definately help! Its not really started carpeting a great amount.

i didnt touch mine for ages. i beginning to strongly believe that powder form substrate helps in the rooting of HC.

George Farmer said:
aaronnorth said:
Everytime i look i am still amazed how well you grow HC close the the substrate. :eek:
It's no secret, Aaron.

Good CO2, other nutrients and circulation are key, in my experience. A decent substrate helps, but isn't essential with EI.

Lower lighting is beneficial too, IME.

i thought i had everything, except the lower lighting. The first time i planted it it was fine, however the second time it always grew upwards and it took ages to form a carpet no matter how much i trimmed it, even after about 6weeks. It wasnt a massive area it had to cover either and the health was fine.
3259429167_048ee1064c_m.jpg

Not a lot more can be said about this tank really, just looks amazing, great job Mark.
You should be well proud of this, any comments back from customers still?

Really nice Mark

saintly said:
i beginning to strongly believe that powder form substrate helps in the rooting of HC.

I've got HC in EcoComplete in my nano, and its struggling. I'm going to up the kno3 having read this, but it definitely struggles to get a hold in the EcoComplete - I'm replanting floating bits most mornings, so I think powder might be better too.

Tony

LondonDragon said:
Not a lot more can be said about this tank really, just looks amazing, great job Mark.
You should be well proud of this, any comments back from customers still?

cheers LD, i still get a lot of comments and feedback which is real nice. :D

Tonser said:
I've got HC in EcoComplete in my nano, and its struggling. I'm going to up the kno3 having read this, but it definitely struggles to get a hold in the EcoComplete

after consulting the oracle, flow and co2 with the addition of KNO3 is key to HC's success. ;) i also found out that hc does better at 26c

i've come back from the shop and have had bit of a trimming session. George! you'll be pleased to know that the riccia (in the middle) has finally gone! :lol:

here's before trimming, BTW the rotala is relentless, it's growing back faster than ever.

_MG_0935-01.jpg

the blyxa, i'm finding out, is a weed and I'll consider this in my future scapes.

_MG_0938-01.jpg

i've taken the remaining riccia out, trimmed the blyxa which could be trimmed even harder, mowed the HC, cut out any stray stems.

_MG_0945-01.jpg

_MG_0946-01.jpg

in all honesty, I just want to start again. but I'll keep it going for as long as possible. the stems will only take so much of being trimmed at the same height, in reality i should be inching my way up, but cant because of the unsightly lower parts that will come on show. you live and learn. the next scape wont have any hardscape ;)

I'm also itching to do a full on HC scape too, but that will have to wait until my current home tank is finished! arghhhh so many scapes, so little time :arghh:

cheers mate.

customers do love it, surprising how many don't notice it though :p ....didnt go to spec savers me thinks :lol:

i really need to re-scape though

George Farmer said:
You're not bothering with the lighting idea I suggested then, to bring the stems up towards the edges?

it was considered, it's more the cost really. i've already claimed a huge amount of stock. i have added 2 x 24t5s though, which are placed towards the rear and they've helped loads.

it wont be until i get the go ahead for a rescape will i then create the u shape we spoke about, until then they'll get a straight cut :D

after you have finished all the scapes that MA will permit, you should by the tank as it is ex display :lol:

that will really get them going if they have to sell it cheap! :D

Back