• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Henge part 2 MA @ eastbridgford

Re: The Henge part 2

Dogged, resolute, and back in amongst it after a set-back. Inspiring stuff. Good to see the 'kitchen scissors' method of planting HC being put to use.

Looking forward to that tank fill in Mark, hope you catch that same client in a few months time and ask "5 minutes hey" hehe ;)

Good work and hopefully a start of something to further the hobby, show people that if done properly you can get great results, just need to spent initially on the right equipment.

Congrats mate :)

LondonDragon said:
Looking forward to that tank fill in Mark, hope you catch that same client in a few months time and ask "5 minutes hey" hehe ;)

cheers bud, yeah with a bit of luck i can prove to him that plants can survive.

scottturnbull said:
Dogged, resolute, and back in amongst it after a set-back. Inspiring stuff. Good to see the 'kitchen scissors' method of planting HC being put to use.

just what the doctor ordered.

I've seen this method in Oliver's tanks and also amano's. if the tank were smaller I'd do it ukaps style, but i have to think along the lines of the general public that come into the shop. try and make it a s easy as possible for them.

it's the same with the planting! i didn't want to use stems in the back but i thought it would be best top consider shop sales also. the last reaming pots of rotala, hc and e tenellus were snapped up instantly on the strength of this scape....so as a sales toy, this scape if looked after should pay for it's self in no time.

Tank looks very good, any ideas on stocking? (cant remember if you said it or not!)

"what so different about that?....those plant wont last 5 minutes....mine never do!"

I hate it when people say that, they never put in any research into why they are dieing, they are no different to terrestial plants, they still need nutrients, CO2, light etc, it is just harder to get it too the plants in an aquarium - good job their fish last longer than 5mins too thankfully to the bacteria :twisted: :rolleyes:

Rant over ;)

I'd love to see the look on that guys face in a few weeks when that tank has filled in.

well i'm not going to dwell on it too much, TBH the guy has a point. if you don't know any different, how do you know how plants should grow?....it's just education thats needed.

stocking wisw aaron, i've got free choice. so i'll start with an algae crew pretty shortly, 6 ottos to start with and a dozen amano shrimp. i'm not going to put the filter under too much strain, even though the media is mature. i've opted for 1 405 fluval and 1 x korolia 2 power head and the plants in every part of the tank are swaying :D

OK, these are the last images for a while.

if things go wrong don't blame me!....blame these 2. Natalie and Matt :lol: joking apart, these 2 are great and i trust matt 100%

staff-1.jpg

a different angle....

angle-1.jpg

what's in store...

planttank-1.jpg

and a full tank shot. burnt out background just to show the rock work and planting better.

day2-1.jpg

planting sure makes a big difference to the over all layout of a iwagumi ;)

hope you like

chump54 said:
i like the lines created by the rocks, it seems to make the whole scape flow from the corners to the center(ish).

it was the plan that i had in my head. i always breath a sigh of relief after hardscape and planting. slowly with each scape, the out come ends up as i planned. 8)

samc said:
looks great i really like this one im looking foward to seeing it grown in more

cheers samc :D

Hi Mark,well done mate you have made a great job of the setup and i think customers should feel inspired to try it them selfs,regards john.

LondonDragon said:
Keep us posted on progress :)
oh yes, i'll be snapping away. :D

Thomas McMillan said:
It looks amazing from full frontal, can't wait to see it grown in more.

cheers thomas

Tonser said:
this can only help increase 'planted' awareness ! I wish my local MA had a stock of plants like theirs :wideyed:

they dont usually carry that much stock, so hopefully it should always be quite full.

i've been down today to check co2 is running fine which it is. the hc is showing signs of growth. a couple pf clumps may not make it but it's not really a problem.

apparently according to Matt the manager, there is quite a lot of interest in the tank and some folk want to see me the following weekend, which is a good sign. :D

simple things like cutting newly planted hairgrass down to the base took some customers by surprise and the shop has already shifted a load of aciularis now that they know how to at least plant it right. still a long way to go on the ferts, co2 and flow education. but all in good time.

i think JBL are on board as in supplying the substrate system some co2 accessories. there putting a new JBL stand in store too based on the "planted tank" side of things.

we'll see what the future has to offer ;) lets get the word out there!!!!

Congratulations Mark, that looks fantastic! Hopefully people will see your tank and want something similar for their own homes
Keep the pictures coming too

due to weather conditions, i took a 10 minute trip to MA to check the state of the tank. all is good. like i said before, a couple of clumps of HC didn't make it but the others are looking good. i think maybe the cold water may have put it into shock when i first filled it :?

rotala has taken it's greeny hue on the crown. I've also done a 50%W/C just to reset the clock until the weekend.

i'm back home now amd not having a tank at home to take care of is hard. so people theres another journal coming :wideyed: my small arcadia tank! 35L i think. I've got enough kit now to scape a dozen tanks. and plants on demand.

Themuleous said:
Thats a cracking layout, really natural. People wont be able to resist trying something themselves with that in their LFS :)

thanks sam, really kind of you to say.

i got some jigerypokery at the weekend. about 10% of the hc is lost. just died. the other 80% has taken :D (thankfully) so it's just a case of planting a bit more (the proper way) and letting nature take over.

i may get a chance to go tomorrow if the weather stops play at work. i need to be with it in the first few weeks.

then after the jigerpokery on sunday, I'm off to see George and have a nice cup of tea!

Back