• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Henge part 2 MA @ eastbridgford

Themuleous said:
hopefully regulars to the shop have enjoyed seeing it develop and are encourage to try it themselves :)

there are people coming in every weekend following the progress. This is a great thing as the non educated can see how a tank can develop from it's early days to it's peak and also see what is possible with plants from there own LFS!

here's for all you lovers of decoration. as soon as i put it in....well, what more can i say? works a treat.

_MG_9493-01.jpg

a funny angle shot...

_MG_9496-01.jpg

and this is the 6 week image after a bit of TLC. runners of e tenellus cut. glosso trimmed and stray r rotundifolia stems nipped out.
you can see the hc has a little way to go until its carpeted, but it wont be long. at least everything has lived longer than the estimated time suggested by a customer....5 minutes!
6weeks.jpg

thanks for looking!

Looks great, Mark.

Love the ornament too - you should keep it in there to show how tacky these things really are when compared with a decent planted tank.

Are the shop's staff making visitors aware of EI etc?

My only concern is that plant sales will go up, which is great, but are the methods used in this tank explained too?

I wonder how most fishkeepers react knowing that nitrates and phosphates are added frequently to minimise algae. That must cause some confusion for general fishkeepers that aren't aware of the 'new school'. The same can be said for decent circulation. May still believe that low turnovers are best for planted tanks, along with substrate heating i.e. Dennerle and JBL.

This tank could/should be used as a major learning tool to advocate the more modern plant growing techniques.

George Farmer said:
The same can be said for decent circulation. May still believe that low turnovers are best for planted tanks, along with substrate heating i.e. Dennerle and JBL.

after an interesting cgat with the JBL rep alexis, i'm now planning on 1 or 2 things involving JBL and there products. similar to what you did george.

there's a new substrate coming out which he wants me to try.

if it works great....if not. no worries.

i'm aware of the ferts range, but he's taking info back to the labs (apparently)

My only concern is that plant sales will go up, which is great, but are the methods used in this tank explained too?

customers are made aware of NPK, but dosing regimes have to be determined by themselves. i really don't want to be held responsible for a load of failure due to my suggested regime.works for me everytime but it may not suit everyone else.

it's all trial and error. i have directed people to the relevant info regards to EI and/or TPN+

Nice one, Mark.

I've heard of this new JBL substrate. Like Aqua Soil, apparently. Should be good, and along with Oliver Knott's product, more competition which is generally always good for the consumer...

Keep up the good work mate. You'll be doing this full-time soon... ;)

George Farmer said:
Keep up the good work mate. You'll be doing this full-time soon... ;)

that's a tall order George.There's better than me out there in the UK :D

but any deals i can get must be beneficial i guess and i'm glad i can run a tank from distance even full blown EI high maintenance set ups.

aaronnorth said:
lol, the ornament brings back old memories :lol: :oops: :rolleyes:

ahhh, mr tortoise 8)

2 very important ladys in my life.

the first one is my wife admiring the shrimps...i think

_MG_9548-01.jpg

and the second is Nat who's slowing being converted to high maintenance regimes :lol: water changes dosing etc....

_MG_9544-01.jpg

fish are now being added slowly untill we have a good shoal. cardinlas tetras

Tank's looking really good :D How do they control the water temp when filling with a hose? Do you just use a mixer tap to get the right temp? Could be worth looking into as it would save a fair bit off time, I already use my fx5 to empty 50% of the water which takes under 2 minutes, Combine that with refilling with a hose lol i could be sorted in half a hour :D

billy boy said:
How do they control the water temp when filling with a hose?

i dont, with the mild temp i dont bother. but when it was cold, it was left to reach room temp. it how I've always done it. the fish love swimming into the incoming water.

George Farmer said:
Cardinal tetras are a good choice - a classic crowd pleaser.

my reasons for putting them in. instant appeal.

George Farmer said:
Photos look great too - the aquascape just keeps looking better and better.

thanks mate. just need to keep on top if it now. i'm already planning the next tank!

ok the fish stocking numbers is rising slowly. theres 18 or so cardinals in there now.

the rotala is taking on a loveley colour too. pinks reds, not what i was expecting TBH.

cardinals.jpg

i've also got 90%confirmation to scape a long term tank :D so something to look forward to. i just wish i could get my own tank running....not long now

Thomas McMillan said:
This tank looks absoloutely stunning! You should be well proud, Mark.

cheers mate, i'm happy with it for sure.

i keep taking relevant bits from each of my tanks...hard scape placement, plant choice, knowing how to grow those plants and slowly improve on the overall look of the next tank...hopefully!

hellohefalump said:

thanks helena :D

last pic for a bit. i'm on a mission not to post images. it seems to work better and for the sanity of you lot :lol:

the most important things in my life.

my boy, my wife and my aquariums

nattanddan.jpg

cheerio for a while 8)

Tonser said:
Noooooooooooo :( We love pictures :D

cheers, you and a couple of others may love em', but even some of the hardcore saintly posters stay quiet now. time for me to hibernate a little. re invent my posting ways.

i gota visit posters anonymous :lol:

Back