• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Island - ADA 75P - It's been a while....

Day off so while I was about the house I'm doing a ph profile just to check co2 stability during lighting period and for no real reason other than curiosity I wanted to get a feel for how my 3 tanks vary with regards to GH/KH, while test kits are inaccurate I just wanted a ballpark of this is higher than that and the answers were pretty much as expected, all taken 1 day after a 50% WC on each tank

Tap:
3KH/3GH/37ppm TDS

This tank (75p with seiryu and manzanita and EI):
6KH/9GH/180ppm TDS

45p (manzanita and EI):
3KH/5GH/130ppm TDS

Nano (larger seiryu to water volume ratio and substrate ferts only)
9KH/11GH/230ppm TDS

That's some pretty dope tap, where do you live?

To further enhance your reds in rotalas, you could also try replanting the cuttings to further develop existing coloration

Central Scotland, yeh I'm pretty spoiled having tap water like that available so no excuses for me!

I'm replanting probably 50% of my cuttings after each trim, it's pretty dense now so will need to thin it out soon so I can keep on replanting, ferts will be adjusted in the coming weeks

it's pretty dense now so will need to thin it out soon so I can keep on replanting,
You can just cut stems back to ground level (or somewhat lower) and replant the nice bright stems
(or pull up stem plants - I just have the siphon going at the same time)

Tank is looking amazing!

Thanks @alto that's much appreciated mate :thumbup:

Yeh i think i'll give it another few weeks and actually pull out a lot of the stems, trim and replant, I know one of the techniques a lot use is trimming down to ground level as you say but I want this to be a longer term tank so don't like the idea of the low cut stems struggling and being unhealthy in the shade of the taller ones and potentially upping the waste organics in the tank (longer term)

will use this as a good excuse to introduce another thin leafed rotala (not sure which yet) and remove some of the rotundifolia

Thanks @alto that's much appreciated mate :thumbup:

Yeh i think i'll give it another few weeks and actually pull out a lot of the stems, trim and replant, I know one of the techniques a lot use is trimming down to ground level as you say but I want this to be a longer term tank so don't like the idea of the low cut stems struggling and being unhealthy in the shade of the taller ones and potentially upping the waste organics in the tank (longer term)

will use this as a good excuse to introduce another thin leafed rotala (not sure which yet) and remove some of the rotundifolia
Nice tap water maybe i should move over.Mine has TDS 150-200 from the tap which is still ok.Brighter light will also turn them redder but be careful about algae.

Nice tap water maybe i should move over.Mine has TDS 150-200 from the tap which is still ok.Brighter light will also turn them redder but be careful about algae.

Yeh that's still pretty good @MJQMJQ, only reason you'd ever need RO is for very fussy fish and shrimp, everything else that's perfectly fine :thumbup:

Don't worry I've learned from previous mistakes with this tank and any changes will be done in steps and monitored for how it affects things :)

Gotta love the ehiem box just perfect for those lil moments of pleasure

not sure i get quite the same amount of pleasure from it as you by the sounds of it mate.....:p:lol:

:lol: only messing @Jayefc1 it certainly is the simple things like this, good tools and the python water changer that have made me enjoy the hobby so much more due it taking out a lot of the hassle and mess that usually comes with maintaining a tank ;)

Yeh that's still pretty good @MJQMJQ, only reason you'd ever need RO is for very fussy fish and shrimp, everything else that's perfectly fine :thumbup:

Don't worry I've learned from previous mistakes with this tank and any changes will be done in steps and monitored for how it affects things :)
Yep have to remineralise too ;)
:lol: only messing @Jayefc1 it certainly is the simple things like this, good tools and the python water changer that have made me enjoy the hobby so much more due it taking out a lot of the hassle and mess that usually comes with maintaining a tank ;)
What tools?

Delivery of a male apisto to replace my other that sadly passed a couple of weeks ago
IMG_20191211_191209_639.jpg

The female already showing him who's boss
IMG_20191211_193724_569.jpg

Even Jamie Foxx on the TV is trying to get a sneak peak at what I'm making....

IMG_20191212_233133_323.jpg

This is what the mix will give per week

Screenshot_20191213-104436_Office Mobile.jpg

Epiphytes and front manzanita wood removed....looking bare!

Been wanting to remove, deep clean and reposition everything for a few weeks so now is the time....

IMG_20191216_183636_807.jpg

Back