• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Island - ADA 75P - It's been a while....

Thanks @oscar

Much appreciated @Paul27 and yeh the rotala grows 25-30cm every couple of weeks in this setup so getting used to bi-weekly big trims now

Cheers @cbaum86 but this is how I have it set up for night viewing on just 1% (yes one percent)

For perspective this is it on 100% at the same time of night and with no other lights on as per the 1st picture
Screenshot_20191125-193940_Instagram.jpg

For perspective this is it on 100% at the same time of night and with no other lights on as per the 1st picture

That makes much more sense. I also have the same light and wondered how you avoided it looking like the sun was in the room.

Think I'm gonna look at getting some shades made for it like the ADA Solar RGB. I've seen Chihiros are showing off the Vivid 2.0 which has shades available. Shame they don't have any for this version.

@cbaum86 are you able to adjust your photo period to suit when you're viewing the tank?

That's all I've done with this so the plants get the light they need but I don't need to wear welding goggles while sitting near the tank...

This is my lighting at the minute, so it ramps down from 50% to 5% by 7pm and then down to 1% by 7:30pm
Screenshot_20191125-201054_Chihiros Magic.jpg

are you able to adjust your photo period to suit when you're viewing the tank?

That's actually quite a good idea. I never considered not tying in the viewing period with the photo period. Something I shall be trying this week. Thanks for the idea :thumbup:

Also, have you tried the new control app "My Chihiros"? Whilst I do like the light I think the apps and bluetooth connection leave a little to be desired. Then again, I suppose it's not the end of the world, not like I'm on there changing it every 5mins.

Also, have you tried the new control app "My Chihiros"?
I'm using it and there are various cumbersome parts - like the time selection, which never locks right.
But keep in mind, Chihiros is just a team of ~20-25 people, doing all the work from engineering to selling, to developing and accounting.

That's actually quite a good idea. I never considered not tying in the viewing period with the photo period. Something I shall be trying this week. Thanks for the idea :thumbup:

Also, have you tried the new control app "My Chihiros"? Whilst I do like the light I think the apps and bluetooth connection leave a little to be desired. Then again, I suppose it's not the end of the world, not like I'm on there changing it every 5mins.

Yeh i've tried it and didn't like it so went back to the old which has always worked fine for me (if within 5m of the light). The new one is clunkier to use and set a standard lighting profile and it also dropped connection a lot more as well.

I'm using it and there are various cumbersome parts - like the time selection, which never locks right.
But keep in mind, Chihiros is just a team of ~20-25 people, doing all the work from engineering to selling, to developing and accounting.

It's exactly that, the lights are brilliant value for money and if an app is a slight bit buggy for the couple of times a month i change the lighting then so be it, i can live with that when saving this much money over other options when the colour rendition is better than most others as well

Every month I like to do a big water change (70-80%) to reset everything, today is that day
IMG_20191128_194555_333.jpg

And I think it's safe to say my rotala is growing well....
IMG_20191128_194753_090.jpg

Nice, what rotala SP. Is it?

Yao yai, orange juice and rotundifolia, will be bringing my N dosing down after this batch of EI runs out and upping the light a bit more to bring out the colours a bit more

Thinking of thinning out and removing some of the rotundifolia soon and trying another of the narrow leaf versions

most Rotala sp seem to take a while to develop oranges, red etc :)

unless you’re Filipe Oliveira ;)

Yeh I'm taking it slow and steady with colour chasing, would rather a stable and algae free tank over ramping up the light and ending up with issues

I'm no where near @Geoffrey Rea standard with colour chasing and tank stability and miles off Filipe so I'll play to my own strengths :lol:

I'm no where near @Geoffrey Rea standard with colour chasing and tank stability and miles off Filipe so I'll play to my own strengths :lol:

There is no distance mate, just got to be keen to give it a whirl. Go into the light.... :lol:

As @Shinobi said:

High light, low no3 makes all the difference.

Personally not aiming for the reddening effects from restricted NO3, but as the Amazonia soil gets depleted and if there is a lack of further nitrate being added, this will be the outcome. That tank is about pushing your luck with PAR and seeing where, if any, the tipping point is with cooking your plants.

Filipe on the other hand just doesn’t want the maintenance :lol: Forced stalling of growth through nutrient restriction in the water column married with higher light to force adaptation in the plants to lessen growth; red growth due to less chlorophyll.

All the other plants will be green with envy (hardy hardy haaa... bad joke. Sorry :( )

@Geoffrey Rea Trust me I've 'given it a whirl' a couple of times in the past and cranked up the light and it's not ended well :hungover: I'll let you play the hare and I'm happy taking the role of the tortoise in this story :lol:

Nah both yours and @Shinobi comments are appreciated and it's good to get the push to try it and I'll be tweaking things very shortly to try and learn more now I've got a fair understanding of it all and hopefully can pass the novice exam :bookworm:;)

I'll let you play the hare and I'm happy taking the role of the tortoise in this story :lol:

That is the point of the journal. If the whole tank goes down in flames I will report it. If people ask questions I answer honestly. Alternatively if it all goes well then we probably learn very little.

3 types of rotala trimmed for replanting

Rotundifolia | Yao Yai | Orange Juice

IMG_20191201_100459_006.jpg

Back