• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The last dirt (read ditched) effort...........

The plant you asked if it was okay in low tech or not could also potentially be didiplis diandra under lower levels of light. Regardless of setup it appears to be hard, I really struggled with it sporadically just melting.

The tank is starting to stuggle a little bit, thankfully this time, it not algae.

I purchased some water lettuce and boy do those things grow!

I think they might have grown to much as the tank got really dark and also I lost all my mosses. I think it might be reducing the light to much and possibly taking all the water column nutrients.

I think it's still a case of learning as I go, but I lost ALL my amazon swords which surprised me, given the substate use.

I'm at a cross roads now. I think I used way to little substrate and either need to get some more in somehow or start over again. Is it possible to get soil into a tank that is up and running without making an awful mess?

I think I also made some errors on where I placed plants. I had a large number of stem plants near the pump outlet and through a combination of to little soil and the force of the water (no a lot but constant), most have been uprooted and trying to re-root them just seems to thin the soil even further. On the other side of the tank, I have some large annuibis plants with lovely large leaves, but they are also next to a pump and although that doesnt seem to bother them, the pump pushes the 'water lettuce' away from the plants thereby exposing them to lots of light.... to much so. Where the leaves are exposed, they melt, where they are not, they do well.

My crypts are doing very well, so I plan on putting a lot more of them in.

I guess I',m asking if it's easier to rescue a tank (no aglae) or to start over? I LOVE the current setup.

Regards

Lee

Back