• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Lost World... Of Bolbitis

Niton

Hi everyone,
I was planning on starting a new scape in the new year inspired by Cinescaper's Lost World scape

So I've been patiently collecting the following hardware:
I plan to plant as per Cinescaper's suggestions with low demand plants, including:
  • Bolbitis heudelotii
  • Micrsorum
  • Hydrocotyle tripartita
  • Crypts
  • Rotala (species tbc)
  • Limnophila sessiliflora
  • Bacopa Caroliniana
  • Liliaeopsis Brasiliensis
  • A few mosses here and there
I was going to be patient but @Geoffrey Rea's vast portions of Bolbitis arrived to day and I had literally no room to put them in my 60L so an interim solution has been hastily fashioned in a very temporary location (any excuse to open and play with presents)!

IMG_20191228_141155.jpg

There are a few things going on here:
  1. Testing the tank and light listed above are in good working order
  2. Planning on moving my 60L from it's current position and the cube and that tank are going to be placed together on a sideboard. The sideboard is being sanded and oiled before it is tank ready so the above is temporary for a couple of weeks (I hope)!
  3. When I move the 60L I'm going to use the external Oase FiltoSmart Thermo 100 (from @Deano3 ) on that tank so I thought it would be an opportunity to start cycling that filter... I've 'pimped' it as per the video here adding some Biohome media from PondGuru (https://filterpro.co.uk/biohome-media-3-c.asp)
  4. It's the temporary tank for keeping the Bolbitis going until I'm ready to plant 'properly'. There is going to be loads spare!

A couple of queries I have that I'd appreciate any input about:
  1. Without adding livestock how long should I leave the Oase running on this tank before I can consider it cycled and ready to swap on to the 60L? I've added decholrinated tap water and will continue to do so during the cycling period.
  2. Are there any devices that can control output flow to lilypipes? The Oase has no option to reduce output flow so I was wondering if flow could be otherwise adjusted.
I'm really looking forward to starting the scape properly and as I'm feeling enthusiastic about it I thought I'd start the journal from now!

When the scape is ready for livestock I plan on getting some yellow cardina from @Steve Buce, some Otos and may be a Betta (trying to read up on keeping them)

A few more tank pictures:
IMG_20191228_141124.jpg IMG_20191228_141135.jpg IMG_20191228_165407.jpg IMG_20191228_165417.jpg IMG_20191228_141102.jpg

As always any comments, suggestions or observations are welcomed.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
  1. Are there any devices that can control output flow to lilypipes? The Oase has no option to reduce output flow so I was wondering if flow could be otherwise adjusted.

What I did is use the valve from the included pipes to the outlet of the filter just cut a part of one of the pipes en put the hose on that. It's important to use the outflow instead of the inflow with this filter else it will suck in air into the filter. You could also buy just an eheim ball valve for a cleaner look, but I just went for the cheaper option since it was already included with the package. Just place it out of sight.

Nice idea for a scape.
Off topic question. Where did you get that twisty candelabra from please. TIA

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So as the tanks going to be running a fishless and substrate-less cycle I've started adding a bit of fish food and some bacteria starter balls to try and get a complete cycle done.

I'll likely be running the new and old filter for a couple of weeks in any case on the 60l tank when it's moved just to make sure.

Today I added the Buddha might as well get it soaked for the next few weeks...
IMG_20191229_175052.jpg

IMG_20191229_175028.jpg IMG_20191229_175014.jpg IMG_20191229_175003.jpg

Think this is a great idea for a small scape should look great, and i would do that run both filters for a few weeks and should cycle it.

looking forward to this one , see you have a lot of plants already so hopefully no much algae at start.

Keep the updates coming.
Dean

I have gotten a bit impatient and a trip to Pets at Home (I know) saw me grab a few plants and I decided to plant up.
All hardscape and planted in a hurry so I'm sure there will be changes!
A couple of pictures.
View attachment 131190 View attachment 131191 View attachment 131192 View attachment 131193 View attachment 131194 View attachment 131195 View attachment 131196

Looks great, if you don't mind feedback, the wood on the left detracts from the statues presence; interferes with the focus point/head of the Buddha as it's very close

I really like it something different with the statue, i have always wanted to do a ship wreck tank maybe one day.

Let me know of want any rotala or siamensis 53b and next time i do a trim i will get some sent over that wont be a problem be a few weeks at least i imagine but will give u some trimmings.

Keep us posted nick
Dean

@Deano3 appreciate that mate. I'll let you know how it's getting on and will give you a shout if I have space for anything!
Yeah if need any dont hesitate to ask so i can repay the favour , tank lookong good mate.

Dean

Week after main planting completed.

All is going well I think. Starting to get some gunk from the wood but I had this in my other tank and expect it to go when livestock is added.

Dosing EI and LC with daily 15% water changes. Will likely go daily water changes this week too.

Added some Rotala H'ra thanks @buttons and looking forward to some Hydrocotyle coming form @jolt100.

IMG_20200208_151741.jpg IMG_20200208_151721.jpg IMG_20200208_151707.jpg
Will be going on holiday for a week soon. Fingers crossed its OK when I get back!

@Steve Buce I'll be getting in touch for some yellow shrimp soon!

Back