• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The metal clipped/glued on strip across top of tank, can I remove it?

PiddleMouse

Hello, please will someone tell me if it is safe to remove that eyesore of a metal band/strip that runs across the upper front and upper back edges of my tank? It is not supporting the corners at all, it is just glued to the front panel and one of the back too. My gut says ''Yes, it's safe to remove'' but my head says ''double check and be sure''. It's a 36 inch wide tank, 15'' high and 12'' front glass to rear glass. I'd be so upset if I broke my tank so taking no risks. For those who have not seen my intro post, this is my very first ever attempt at aquascaping, so I am very much the newby, and basically clueless. It will be kept quite simple, I have a basic idea what I want to end up with, but it's going to be my axolotl's new home so simple, calm but hopefully something I can be a bit proud of at the end. I know I'm going to be quite rubbish at first, but it's got to be a step up from Sponge Bob Square Pants ornaments, rainbow gravel, and very obvious plastic plants, and can only improve from there I'm sure :D

I will take a picture now Fozziebear. Unbranded tank though. BRB.

I am sorry, I can't find how to upload the photos Fozziebear :(

Last edited:
tank metal edge1.jpg tank metal edge 2.jpg I've done it :) Are these pics any good?

It has a lid that rests on those inner ledges and just about meets the to[p of the glass. It's a big ugly thing to be honest, but the way it sits, it's perfect fit but offers no structural support.

Last edited:
My instinct says taking em off is going to be more trouble than it's worth, unless its shoddy glue and they are loose already, i don't want to just say yeah have at it, because likelihood is there is a risk you could do some damage.

My instinct says taking em off is going to be more trouble than it's worth, unless its shoddy glue and they are loose already, i don't want to just say yeah have at it, because likelihood is there is a risk you could do some damage.
It is very firmly glued on Fozziebear, so yes I think I will leave it. I will paint it a colour to match my background and decoration stuff, that will make it look nicer I think. Thank you for replying :thumbup:

Are you sure its metal and are you sure its glued on. Every tank I have owned has had such a trim incl my present Clearseal tanks but made of plastic and none were glued on. I think they are just for cosmetic purposes but also hide the water level.

Back