• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Mojo is gone

Gill

I have not had any planted tanks now for quite a while now.
Don't know what it is, but have no motivation to keep anything planted.
I rescaped the Meander Tank Last week, and still did not add anything bar some java fern. And reused the fake plants I had. And the Aquadecor nature style resin background. And for the 1st time in many years, only a few fish in it.
A Dragon Goby, that has bee excavating out lots of burrows. And 20 Cardinals, and a few cories.

Maybe sometime in the future the Mojo will come back for Live plants, but at the moment not a thing. Not even looking in the plant section, makes me want to buy any and see what i can do with them.
Anyone else been in this Funk for a while.

Kind of but probably more to do with rising energy costs hence concentrating on temperate species,most of which don't have plants in the wild.
For some reason I've always struggled a bit with my fishkeeping mojo this time of year anyway :confused:

Slight digression but is the dragon goby a Schismatogobius ampluvinculus?
Nah, its a Dragon Gobies (Gobioides broussonnetii). Got one from Pier Aquatics when I went last week, as was up that way for the Forbidden Forest Experience. Have wanted them since having them at dobbies mancetter.
Very Interesting, spends most of the day digging into the deep Sand bed for the UGF (5 inches Deep) and know its happening as a plume of dirt rises up. And then can see it sifting said sand for stuff to eat.
Completely harmless despite how them look.

I have not had any planted tanks now for quite a while now.
Don't know what it is, but have no motivation to keep anything planted.
I rescaped the Meander Tank Last week, and still did not add anything bar some java fern. And reused the fake plants I had. And the Aquadecor nature style resin background. And for the 1st time in many years, only a few fish in it.
A Dragon Goby, that has bee excavating out lots of burrows. And 20 Cardinals, and a few cories.

Maybe sometime in the future the Mojo will come back for Live plants, but at the moment not a thing. Not even looking in the plant section, makes me want to buy any and see what i can do with them.
Anyone else been in this Funk for a while.

I think most go through periods like this, I know I certainly do and over the years have changed from salt to fresh, to planted etc. I have just found my love of breeding again, great for me, no so much the Mrs with all the ugly little tanks now springing up to hold fry, and live food cultures everywhere lol

Kind of but probably more to do with rising energy costs hence concentrating on temperate species,most of which don't have plants in the wild.
For some reason I've always struggled a bit with my fishkeeping mojo this time of year anyway :confused:
Energy is a big worry with prices soaring. I keep most of my tanks at room temp, which means around 22c in most of my tanks, which is fine for most tropicals luckily.

I am the opposite, the spring and summer are when I lose my mojo, more time outside, trips etc.

I've not even been to a lfs since summer 2019. I have the fish I still have and am ticking them over but I've not felt the urge to buy anything new. I still love the hobby, I'm still interested in reading about it etc but I'm happy not keeping that much now. I've been keeping fish for about thirty years and my interests have just widened into the great outdoors more now. I think I might come back to aquatics strongly but I'm happy meandering at the moment.

I get into seasonal funks like this Dec - March, I took break from doing anything over Dec and most of Jan but waterchanges & feeding with the tanks, didn't even really look in them and stopped going/posting on social media about it which can be super draining. Sometimes it feels like a lot of pressure to keep up, and I have to remember I'm doing that to myself and to calm down and remind myself that this hobby is just for me and my satisfaction and it's good to let the ebbs and flows wash over. It's one of the things I like about UKAPS, it feels chill and not an obligation and people won't mind if I go away for a bit cos we all do sometimes. After that break, and going to shop aquarium shops with friends and feeling that enthusiasm with them it's come back for me, but I am still quite new in the hobby and there is still so much to keep and grow and discover, I'm sure when you've been in it for a long time it's more difficult.

Don't put pressure on yourself to have to do or be anything, it's your hobby and tanks are just for you! I'm sure the plant side will come back eventually but you have to let that part of you rest, and if you aren't into plants right now it's just a chance to learn about and enjoy other things for a while both in and out of the hobby... those gobies sound beautiful and super fascinating!

I am the same around this time of year, everything is a slog. I'm with the bears, we should just be hibernating.

For a lil inspiration though.... do you ever look at the Shrimpery tanks on Instagram? Most of his don't have heaters but he grows some lovely temperate plants in them and they look fabulous, like lush stream banks. Lots of potential for beauty in the temperate tanks!

Last edited:
I did have a little Mojo the last few days.
Went to Deans, and found a stunning group of Bulgarian Seal Point Angels, Which I bought all they had. Was not looking to get anything, but could not walk away from such beautiful fish. And at a price I was happy to happy after a little bit of haggling.

Went to a friend's yesterday afternoon decided to pop into Bardills on the way. As had 30 mins to kill. Found some lovely chunky Coral Platties. Which immediately came home with me. My fave platty. They had red koi guppies but decided to leave them, as there were males only.

Back