• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Murphs opti-Nano

murph

New Journal time!

12*10*8 opti-white nano with glass lily pipes. All gear procured from UKaps very own Superman :wave:
4689310630_d76412f657_b.jpg

Will be ordering a 18w light to replace the 11w, manzanita wood and dragon stone from PlantedBox.

Substrate will be FloraBase.

I'm not really sure on plants yet, co2 injection and 18w should be enough for all but the most demanding of plants I think. I might transplant the UG from my main tank as the corys uproot it with their diggin around and i Think plenty of moss on the wood, maybe some Hairgrass up the back but i'll need to wait till the wood and stone is in to see what room I've got.

Stocking will be a few strawberry rasboras seen in insideoutside aquatics over in Haddington, a bit of a drive but there isnt many shops in scotland that cater for aquatics. :crazy:

Won't be in a hurry to get livestock into the tank until its well on

Maybe some cherry shrimp too :thumbup:

Its good init! :rolleyes:

You aint seen none of that before! :oops:

But seriously, hardscape picked out with the kind help of James over at PlantedBox and should be on its way very shortly.

Dave - Sorry mate, light promised to someone else.

No worries mate, I had a feeling it might have been snapped up!
Good luck with this tank, I'll be watching this journal

Okay so got my hardscape, substrate and light delivered from Planted box. Cheers James! :thumbup:

Been playing around with the layout and had to butcher the lovely bit of manzanita wood to fit! Was a bit worried it would leave the snapped ends a bit 'raw' but its turned out okay.

I'm not sure if i should incorporate some Okho stone or not, Its just too damn good looking to leave out! :D

anyways heres the pics, let me know
4704113762_4cc7e15352.jpg

4704113768_5a46e4c952.jpg

4704113756_d3675a2083.jpg

AS for planting I'm thinking willow moss on the roots, a few blxya stems cos its my favorite :thumbup: some Hairgrass up the back and I really want to use UG for the main carpet. I had to ditch the UG from the main tank, not because I killed it but because the corys dug it up every night! :rolleyes: it seemed to be healthy but wasn't getting much if any growth. I'm hoping 3mths of high high high co2 will bring it on in the nano :?:

Gotta say i'm loving the first photo - maybe "root" the wood in on the right hand side with some stone or really dense blyxa planting, but the wood look absolutely stunning in this orientation. Two and three don't really work for me. But i'm always open to the idea that i ight be completely wrong ... :)
Love one. Really. Stick those stones in the right hand corner around the wood. Really. Do it now. :)
M

Cheers matt,

I wasn't sure about the upturned version but I'm keen to try anything with this scape.

something like this?
4704198790_3020e9251f.jpg

4704198832_44029e7828.jpg

:?:

Definitely like that....supergorgeous...

can we be rude and ask how much the tank/light/basic setup cost (more or less)? You can PM me if you like...

tx

m

Cheers magpie.

Well I actually bout this setup, minus substrate and hardscape from another forum member!

The princely sum of 165 british pounds was paid, posted.

I'd reckon it would be double that depending where you did your shopping!

I'm thinking UG then blyxa. with some hairgrass and willow moss on the wood, maybe more than one type depending where i can get it from!

Well thats the tank planted.

Decided to go for HC as I found some in the local Dobbies garden centre in Ayr, A bit of a find as its usually just algae infested muck in the plant tanks. 3 for a tenner. Blxya in the top left corner from the big tank and there is a tub of Parvula up the back but its cut down so you cant really see it.

I dunno how good the HC will take as i a made a bit of a mess planting it.

just needing some moss for the wood, any suggestions?

Anyways here it is, let me know what you think!
4746169320_e1f6a85365.jpg

I havent hooked up the heater as I want to see what the temperature will settle at first.

and hers a quick and dirty shot of the actual Murph who was looking on will curiosity!

4745540659_579cae1b06.jpg

murph said:
just needing some moss for the wood, any suggestions?

anything trimmed short will look good.
overgrown vesicularia\taxiphyllum species will look a mess IMO.

if you do not want to have to trim that often get a small fronded moss like fissidens fontanus
or
ricardia chamedryfolia (common name, coral pellia). this is a not so easy to keep liverwort, but looks awesome.

Stunning dog - is he a Viszla?

he looks the right colour, but not the right head shape - more like a gsp, but then I've never seen one that pale before...

or something completely different?

gorgeous, anyway.

mx

Purebred vizsla, still a pup only 6mths. Will darken up as he gets older.

A wee belter.

Back