• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Next Episode - 800 litres

Wonderfull, to see someone use "the Swords" in a tanksize, that actually suit them.
Just an idea........
Since you're at it with Echino's (and I agree: easy and reliable plants, generally - gotta love'em), maybe consider Echinodorus qudricostatus. It will fit in size-wise between the very small tenellus and the much bigger species, you've chosen, to make nice transitions.
Ech. quadricostatus is defenitely an easy and reliable species.......and will even grow partially shaded under some of the large species.

No pics, just a list really :meh:

Updated specs:

Tank - Aquarium connections 60" x 30" x 28" - Bracless 15mm optiwhite front and sides. Mitred corners. Internal weir with 2 x 40mm overflows and 1 x 25mm return. 825 litres.

Lighting - 280 led factory fitting on custom/DIY stand. 5500k.

Heating - Eheim 300w heater supplied via an STC-1000 (will be adding another heater)

Return pump - Jebao DC 9000 running on full speed via DIY acrylic spraybar.

Filter/sump - 2 x connected 24" x 12" x 15" sumps. First sump holds coarse, medium and fine foam, purigen, ceramic, matrix and k3 media. Second sump houses the heater and return pump. Around 105 litres total at running level.

Co2 - 2kg Fire extinguisher with dual stage regulator, Up inline diffuser supplying DIY/water filter 20" reactor filled with K3. Fed on its own timed return by a D-D H2ocean 2000 pump.

Substrate - Fine grain moler clay and cactus compost mix for main planting area. Undecided on front cosmetic sand.

Hardscape - Bogwood and Slate

Potions - Easylife Profito

Flora:

Monte Carlo
Java Fern/Java Fern Narrow
Java Moss
Echinodorus rose
Echinodorus bleheri
Echinodorus radicans
Echinodorus tricolour
Echinodorus xinguensi
Echinodurus cordifolius
Echinodorus Tenellus
Echinodurus Ozelot - Struggling
Echinodurus Harbich
Echinodorus red devil
Echinodorus green flame
Echinodorus martii
Echinodorus uraguayensis

Fauna:

2 x Leopard Frog Plecs L134
4 x Zebra Angels
6 x Checkerboard Pigeon Blood Discus
2 x Amano Shrimp

Last edited:
Wonderfull, to see someone use "the Swords" in a tanksize, that actually suit them.
Just an idea........
Since you're at it with Echino's (and I agree: easy and reliable plants, generally - gotta love'em), maybe consider Echinodorus qudricostatus. It will fit in size-wise between the very small tenellus and the much bigger species, you've chosen, to make nice transitions.
Ech. quadricostatus is defenitely an easy and reliable species.......and will even grow partially shaded under some of the large species.

Hi Mick, I've been having a look around for Quadricostatus but not really seen anything in the UK, until I found this:

http://www.inaquarium.com/echinodorus-quadricostatus.php

Magdalenensis is already on my shopping list and this is saying Quad is Mag, is that right? Magdalenensis is far easier to find in the UK, obviously why it's on my shopping list. Same plant just different name?

It's the same species, yes !! There might be small variations in size of leaf-plate, though.

Changing plant-names in this hobby was allways a slow process........several of the Echino.s are now Helanthium, but it'll be a long time, before well-known plantnames are commonly accepted. Botany is one thing - hobby is another !!

Hyg. difformis is still "Synema" and Limn. sessiliflora/aquatica are still "Ambulia/Giant ambulia".
- luckily, I've been around in this hobby long enough, to remember most of the out-dated names, too...........:cigar:

sounds like a great tank in the making, will be watching with interest.

I know mate, I keep having a look round for a cheap big bottle but no luck up to now :(
get friendly at your local pub mate and get a 12kg :thumbup:

Cheers Iain.

I'm sure by the time I've had enough pints to get that friendly, I could have bought one and refilled it a thousand times :D

12kg sounds big though. Big equals expensive lol This, as with all my projects, is a budget build :thumbup:

Had a busy couple of days :crazy:

1st I had to drain the old tank so I could move it and do some work before I put the new tank into place. Trying to catch the fish was a nightmare, took longer than expected anyway. Filled the tank back up and put the not so amused fish back in.

I took the chance to try out the new pump as well to fill it back up, very impressed anyway. I've never had a soft start pump before but it's great, like a jet engine winding up :D The feed button is good too, means everything is not going to go straight into the sump.

While the tanks out of the way I've also got to decorate and finally rip the nasty dado off and also strengthen the joists. The joists would've have probably been fine, but there was a bit of bounce with the old tank and didn't fancy seeing over a ton bouncing around when you walked past :nailbiting: All I've done is propped them up with some timber I had left over from the stand, job done.

Just waiting for the filler to dry then I can get on with the painting and then get the new tank into place :thumbup:

Next on the list, leak test :nailbiting:

A picture of the reactor to break up the wall of words :D

Not sure how good it will be, but I can always have a tinker once it's up and running.

imagejpg1_zps253ccf32.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, really liking your build. Can you post some pics of your light build. I have a similar size tank with a sump etc and like the idea of moving to LEDs.

Sounds great but you are going to need a bigger bottle!
Look in Yellow pages (or yell.com) for local to you pub gas suppliers and phone them up. Cylinders round here come in 3.2Kg (rare), 6.35Kg and slightly monster 34Kg (1.5m high). The 6.35Kg costs about £15 to get refilled. Tank price is about £50 (or more) for 6.35Kg.

There is a different system where I live as there is only one filling station on the island, they will only fill cylinders that are leased from them under a contract!
However they supply all the sizes & the contract is a one off payment.
As an example a 3.2 kg cylinder cost £160 & refills are about £3.00, the bottles are serviced & maintained or replaced when necessary.

Hi, really liooh 28thour build. Can you post some pics of your light build. I have a similar size tank with a sump etc and like the idea of moving to LEDs.

Hi mate, yes I'll get some pics up as soon as I can.

Its just a factory type fitting which was surplus on a job and was all pre built, I didnt actually build it so can't really give you any serious info.

I built the stand out of some trunking and ali angle I had. I'm adding some more angle to the front & back so I can slide a piece of glass in just to protect it from any splashes. I'll also be using some vinyl strips on the glass to help wind the brightness back. I tried adding a dimmer but it only worked up to a certain point and then just started flashing. Nevermind.

@ian_m & @foxfish - The pub cylinders are too expensive for my liking, I can pick a 5kg FE up for around £10 to £20 ish so that will have to do.

Last edited:
Hi, have you had your pump running yet? I have just bought a compact 5000 to upgrade from an aquamedic 3500 but the eheim is quite a bit noisier. Was wondering how the jecod sounded. Thx

Hi mate, up to now I'm very impressed with it. I had a play a play with it when I refilled the old tank but didn't really pay any notice to the noise, too busy playing with buttons.

I got this tank filled last night and had another play, it's silent mate, I can't hear a thing! This is just the pump alone though. I suppose the real test will be when it's plumbed in and got some head to deal with. I can't see it making much difference though, if any. I'll let you know anyway. Up to now its a perfect pump. Watts vs LPH is great, silent (up to now) a few buttons to play with and a decent price. (compared to the abyzz pump I have in my dreams :D) The pump is the most expensive part of this build so I'm glad I didn't cock it up! Recommended up to now :thumbup:

It's been 12 hours now since I filled the tank and up to now, all good :thumbup:

I'll leave it for today and then I can get on with sorting the final hard scape out and getting some sub in, going with theTesco cat litter. I've been after some slate like what @Troi has in his latest tank. Looks amazing but no luck up to now. I have some gritstone which I collected but it's just not going to fit in with the look I want.

Looking at the light now with the water in, looks like I won't have to wind it back after all. I'll see how it goes.

I need to decide on a background too ASAP. I always go black but I'm not sure on this one??

The tannins have started already, it's going to take some leaching all this wood :)

imagejpg1_zpsa90da794.jpg

*All the photos up to now are PPP phone pics. As soon as the scapes done I'll get the proper camera out and start putting a decent effort in :angelic:

Last edited:
Hi, thx for reply. I just put my order in for one. What fittings does it come with? I have 1" return hard pipe at the moment. Do I need to get any connectors? Looking good by the way .

Back