• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Next Episode - 800 litres

Thanks for the info Mick.

I've also been looking at St Isabell's and I also saw some called "Dantums" in the LFS which looked stunning. They wouldn't have the same impact a few big Altums would make though would they.

I already have 4 angels which will be moving into this, 2 are a breeding pair and the other two are just good friends :D although 1 does currently have fat belly and her "thing" is extended (can't remember what it's called) I love watching them though "interacting" ;):D. I didn't or don't buy fish to breed really, or go out of my way to get them to breed, but it's obviously a sign of a happy fish when they do, which I do go out of my way to do.

I've also got the discus to think about as well, I'm not the sort of person to just offload fish just because they don't fit in with my plans, so they'll also be moving in too. Would I really have room for say 4 or 5 Altums? Probably not for now. Maybe the Dantums or St Isabell's would be a better choice at this point in time, even then only a few, 5 max probably??

Last edited:
Hi, got if on full. I used to hear the hum of the aquamedic in my bedroom. I can't hear this one.
I really like the idea of LEDs. So some pics of how you set them up, wiring etc would really be useful.

My lfs has a shoal of Altums (ferrybridge aquatics). Look awesome.

Post some pics of your sump and plumbing too. Really looking forward to seeing it.
Cheers

Love the wood, Angelfish will be great with it.
I love my angelfish, very personable fish, and like you i have four, a pair and two good friends :D
Will look forward to the next stages and following its progression.

Cheers @Ady34 Progress will be slow though :D

I've only got Sunday this week to work on the tank. Plan is to get the front and side covered in matt white vinyl and put the background on. If anyone has any colour suggestions they would be much appreciated, other wise it's looking like the usual black. Although I've had another thought :rolleyes: White frosted window film and then black?? o_O

I've also got everything crossed that my new rock from @Daniel arrives by Saturday :joyful:

Last edited:
NC10, earlier in this thread you mentioned that you would need a bigger than 2Kg CO2. I'm going to be getting a 6kg/9L CO2 from Hobbyweld when I finally get sorted. I think it's £60 deposit and £30 refill or something like that.

I just googled Hobbyweld Sheffield and came up with SDL Minorfern.

Hope this helps.

Awesome wood arrangement BTW!

Thanks for taking the time to do that mate, appreciated.

I can get a new, or should I say a full 2nd hand, 5kg FE for less than £20 though. For the refills I'm looking at £10 to £15. So just for the extra kg it's not worth it really is it.

I've been pretty busy lately so not much action really. Got the front covered in matte white and ended up going for my usual black background. I've had a play with the rock, but no doubt I'll be altering things :rolleyes:

Quick phone pic as it stands now.

image.jpg

Grand tank and setup, love the rocks and wood fella super!:)

maybe you should start soaking your wood ;)

Funny you should say that, we were only talking about it last night. Can't belive how stupid I've been, it could have been soaking all this time :rolleyes:

My plumbings due tomorrow so there's no point filling until that's done as I'll have to move the tank. I can't see me getting any sub in this weekend so I'll get it filled back up once that's done.

Very beautiful design. This wood looks like dense enough not needing soaking.
whats the plan for planting?

Very beautiful design. This wood looks like dense enough not needing soaking.
whats the plan for planting?

Cheers mate. No the soakings not for floating, it's to get rid of the tannins.

Plan for planting is a few swords :D

I'm not buying anymore now though, I might find myself at Echinodorus Anonymous. This is what I have in my current tank waiting to go in:

Echinodorus Grandiflorus Aureus
Echinodorus radicans
Echinodorus uraguayensis
Echinodorus martii
Echinodorus bleheri
Echinodorus rose
Echinodurus cordifolius
Echinodorus tricolour
Echinodorus green flame
Echinodurus Harbich
Echinodorus red devil
Echinodorus Quadricostatus
Echinodorus xinguensi
Echinodorus Tenellus

I have some MC as well which will be going in to carpet the front. I've ditched adding the Java moss I have and still deciding on if to put any fern in.

Last edited:
The plumbing has arrived. This little lot cost more than half of what I paid for the tank :mad:

Luckily the original tank connectors were still on, otherwise the plumbing would have been more expensive than the tank. Ridiculous :sour:

image.jpg

Edit: Ordered a load more plumbing. I had to re-route one of the overflows and while I was throwing all this money at cheap injection moulded plastic, I decided I may as well hard plumb the second Co2 pump. Cheap plastic plumbing parts now cost more than the tank o_O

Last edited:
Quick update. Tank is finally planted!! :rolleyes:

I managed to get the dimmer working so lighting has been wound back until I sort the Co2 out.

3 bags of cactus compost and 6 bags of Tesco cat litter were used for the sub.

I'm redoing the single outlet to a spraybar across the back. Flows good but it's blowing a hole in the sand.

Got a few holes in the rocks I need to plug.

2 of the discus have paired up and laid eggs.

3 new discus additions, 2 x altum flora and 1 x thunder snakeskin.

I think that's the main bits, I'll do a proper update when things have settled down a bit, the co2s in and the plants have grown a little!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Updated specs: 6/4/15

Tank - Aquarium connections 60" x 30" x 28" - euro braced front & rear, 15mm, optiwhite front and sides. Mitred corners. Internal weir with 2 x 40mm overflows and 1 x 25mm return. 825 litres.

Lighting - Dimmable 100w 280 led factory fitting on custom/DIY stand. 5500k.

Heating - Eheim & JBL 300w heaters supplied via an STC-1000

Return pump - Jebao DC 9000

Filter/sump - 2 x connected sumps. First sump holds coarse, medium and fine foam, purigen, ceramic, matrix and k3 media. Second sump houses the heaters and return pump.

Co2 - 2kg Fire extinguisher with dual stage regulator, Up inline diffuser supplying DIY 20" reactor filled with K3, fed on its own timed return by a D-D H2ocean 2000 pump.

Substrate - 6 bags of Tesco cat litter and 3 bags of B&Q cactus compost mix for main planting area. Generic aquarium sand for front.

Hardscape - Bogwood and mini landscape rock.

Potions - Easylife Profito

Flora:

Java Fern/Java Fern Narrow
Echinodorus rose
Echinodorus bleheri
Echinodorus radicans
Echinodorus tricolour
Echinodorus xinguensi
Echinodurus cordifolius
Echinodorus Tenellus
Echinodurus Harbich
Echinodorus red devil
Echinodorus green flame
Echinodorus martii
Echinodorus uraguayensis
Echinodorus Quadricostatus
Echinodorus Grandiflorus Aureus

Fauna:

2 x Leopard Frog Plecs L134
4 x Zebra Angels
6 x Checkerboard Pigeon Blood Discus
2 x Altum Flora Discus
1 x Thunder Snakeskin Discus
2 x Amano Shrimp

Last edited:
Discus look lovely. Quite subtle and not too colourful. Good job!
Most people just get one blue, one red, one yellow etc which makes it look unnatural.Not your case.

Back