• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The old forest - nano project

Antoni

Dear Friends, this is my first post in here and I would like to introduce you my recent nano project:

I have started this set up 3 weeks ago and would like to share with you what I have done. Any advices and critics are welcome!

Tank: 20x20x20cm - 8l
Lighting: PL-L 11W 6000K for 8h
Substrat: Earthworm castings as a base and sand
Flora: Riccia, Mayaca Vendeli, small pinch of HC(survived from the last scape), Hemianthus micranthemoides.
Fauna: not introduced yet, but red cherry is the choice.
Fertilizers: Dupla 24, Glutaraldehyde 0,2 ml per day and 100ml of soda water to top up evaporeted water.
Filter: hanging up filter
Water changes: 50 % per week

The begining:
010174041.jpg

Planting - First attemped
010174043.jpg

birds eye view:
010174046.jpg

The tank fluded:
010174047.jpg

After replanting and adding HM
http://media.snimka.bg/1959/010174049.jpg

Another view:
010174051.jpg

The Riccia pearling:
010174053.jpg

Supplying the nano tank with CO2 through adding soda water is idea I got from one set up of Oliver Knot. It seems quite unconvential, but it's seems to work. I havent checked any water parameters until now, but the tank seems healty to me.

Waiting for your coments on the scape and soda aproach!

Kind regards

I like it, it's a really good start. I think it'll look great once everything has grown in more.

Interesting idea using soda water for CO2. I'm wondering though, if you're using the same bottle, that'll last you quite a while and won't all the CO2 evaporate once the soda water has gone 'flat'? It'll be interesting to see how the cherry shrimp take it aswell.

Thank you!
I'm using a small bottle of 0.5l which last for 4-5 days. This way the soda is still CO2 rich.
I was even thinking of changing the bottle every 2-3 days. It doesn't cost a fortune :)
Yesterday night I introduced 4 red cherries and at the moment they seems to fill very comfortable. I hope it will be this way in the days to come.
But I'm concern about the riccia, few days ago I noticed that part of it is becoming whitish, yesterday I removed the white part, but I would like to know the reason for that. Has anyone ever experienced such a riccia problem?

Excellent work my friend :D Looks really good, you've obviously got experience of growing plants. I love the idea of the Riccia in the bags, i've not seen this before, although most other people probably have :lol: You like the unconventional way of doing things, wish i could pluck up the courage to try sometimes 8)

i dont think its a bog, looks like a hairnet kind of thing. correct me if im worng.

looks great though, like the co2 idea, never thought of using fizzy water.

wish i knew where to get hold of hairnets like that, save me sooo much time.

thanks, will give it a go, will save me ages as i hate trying to tie moss to rock with fishing line. cheers once again. :D

Thank you very much, guys!
For mesh I'm using a bath mesh sponge of this kind:
S1005202294.jpg

It should be available in every store.
Dear Sanity, about the soda water I would like to ask you, if possible to share with us information about the use of soda water by Amano - results, observation, why he left the idea behind?

Also, please if someone knows how to tackle the problem with riccia, share with me!

Regards

Antoni Dimitrov said:
Dear Sanity, about the soda water I would like to ask you, if possible to share with us information about the use of soda water by Amano - results, observation, why he left the idea behind?
Thats how amano decided to add CO2 to the water when he was about to give up on plants in the aquarium, he was at a bar and looked at a bottle of soda water and decided to take a few home to try on his tank, and the plants started pearling then, thats why he went on to develop ways to add CO2 into the tank. I don't think using soda water in a 700l tank is very cost effective LOL You would also be better off using EasyCarbo in my opinion.

Nano looking good :) keep it up

Thank you!
I' convinced that is not very cost wisely to use soda water for big tanks. I'm using pressurized system on my 100l aquarium, but the nano is on the other side of the room and it's not very nice to put tubes all over the rooms :)
Actually I forgot to write down, that I'm adding a glutaraldehyde to the aqua as well as soda water. I do add it to all my tanks recently. I found out that apart of source of CO2 the glutaraldehyde is very good against algae, when applied locally.
I never used Easycarbo, but can't see any benefits over the glutaraldehyde.(this based on what I have been reading about on the net)
Regards

I have been playing around with the background, here are some pictures with the results:
010264763.jpg

010264768-big.jpg

010264775.jpg

010264786.jpg

010265966.jpg

I'm using a Chinese luminary 45 cm, 20 W. I have covered it with non transparent paper and left only 20 cm gap,just enough to light up the back side of the tank. I think I need a brighter lamp for the next attempt.
Also I was using different filters made of transparent colored paper.

I know that is far from being a masterpiece and I'm trying to figure out the right set up for it, so please advise me on this matter!

The first blue backdrop works for me. Cobalt blue, cold and analytical, very nice. Nanos are kind of like nature in a test tube.

Back