• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The ottos have finally found the Repashy

Ajm200

Was worried that ottos I found when I tore the down my big tank would starve in the new one as it is too new so I invested in BacterAE and Repashy hoping they’d have something to graze on.

Being contrary fussy eaters like all ottos they had been ignoring all the blanched veg that others have taken in the past

For three days they ignored the Repashy covered stones although today they were hanging out on the glass nearby.

Just noticed this. Hopefully now one has found it they all will. They are forming an orderly queue under the filter pipes

Now to get the shrimps to take it

Attachments

• 0AA45BB7-1C66-4C7C-8EA0-17AC64CD3D8C.jpeg
    0AA45BB7-1C66-4C7C-8EA0-17AC64CD3D8C.jpeg
    904.2 KB · Views: 238
Was worried that ottos I found when I tore the down my big tank would starve in the new one as it is too new so I invested in BacterAE and Repashy hoping they’d have something to graze on.

Being contrary fussy eaters like all ottos they had been ignoring all the blanched veg that others have taken in the past

For three days they ignored the Repashy covered stones although today they were hanging out on the glass nearby.

Just noticed this. Hopefully now one has found it they all will. They are forming an orderly queue under the filter pipes

Now to get the shrimps to take it

That’s great news. 😊

I fuss about mine too. They ignore courgette and my first Repashy attempt failed miserably.

Can I ask how you dipped your stones or what type of stone you used. I repashy dipped some for my Ottos and within minutes of being in the tank the whole lot just lifted off in a sheet. Not sure if the layer was too thin or the stones too smooth…The poor Otto’s never got a look in but the rest of the fish pulled that sheet to bits in no time at all.

I used chips of dragon stone. I had huge stones in the 500l and had to break them up to use them in the smaller tanks. They shatter and I kept pebble size bits

Mine bred in the last tank. It was low tech and I struggled to reach some of the glass to clean it so it has over ten years of biofilm build up. The tank had to go and I feel guilty for moving them to somewhere so sterile. It will be months before a decent biofilm builds up to sustain them

Mine ignore any blanched veg too! I’ve just recently tried Repashy soilent green and they go crazy for it. I mix it into the gel, cut it into cubes once set and place it in the tank in a feeding dish. On the first night I put it in there it was all gone by morning.

Which type of repashy are you using? I’ve seen other ones available and I’m curious to try them, but it’s a bit hit and miss with the Oto’s and I don’t want to waste money 😅

I use a repashy alternative (see pic below) because its not available here atm, but I spread it on some pebbles and put those in the freezer for a bit. That worked ok-ish but still came lose after a while in the current. I've read someone mixed it with eggwhites instead of water to make it stick to the rocks better, will try that next.

Attachments

• 20220127_224721.jpg
    20220127_224721.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
Interesting article @dw1305 thanks!

Spookily, I’ve not long bought some oak, beech, sweet chestnut and magnolia (wasn’t sure what would work best) and am looking to sink them this weekend so will let you guys know how that works out.
This was to try to create a natural home for ‘Otto food’ not thinking they might eat the leaves themselves! Guessing it will take a little while to start breaking down but will update on any interest shown.

But the leaves have fallen off the trees now
If you can find some young oak trees they are likely to have retained many of the dead leaves on their branches. They can be remarkably well preserved at this time of year, being up in the air keeps them nice and clean. Beech hedges also retain brown leaves depending on the month they were trimmed.

P.S. how much do they cost to buy? Is it per leaf or per shoe box full or?
bought some oak, beech, sweet chestnut and magnolia

As others here advise, I keep oak and beech leaves in a jar on the windowsill so that they begin to gather biofilm, before adding. Some include an ayirstone. I'm always amused by the way we both praise mulm and worry about "muck", me included. It's as if we want a perfect clean nature, because it feels safe, but what the ottos are waiting for is a good layer of biofilm. Mine aren't that interested in the leaves compared to the glass, but maybe they graze them at night, and the cories love them. The ottos also aren't that interested in bell peppers. Maybe that just means they have enough food in the tank. They now live entirely at the back of the aquarium during the day.

Hi all,

I'd try adding some <"structural leaf litter">.

cheers Darrel
Thank you. I have indian almond leaves in there with alder cones and a little bit cholla wood. I had them for my shrimp tank and tucked a few bits away in the fish tank too. The outlet on the filter is fairly fierce. It is an FX4 (the smaller of thr two filters from the old tanks) turned down a bit so bits like leaves that would get blasted about are tucked in a little ‘cave’ under the wood shielded by plants. I soaked a couple in hot water to try and speed up decompo and put others under little bits of rock. The water still looks very clear but the diamon tetras are really sparkly so I think there must be some tannins already

Mine ignore any blanched veg too! I’ve just recently tried Repashy soilent green and they go crazy for it. I mix it into the gel, cut it into cubes once set and place it in the tank in a feeding dish. On the first night I put it in there it was all gone by morning.

Which type of repashy are you using? I’ve seen other ones available and I’m curious to try them, but it’s a bit hit and miss with the Oto’s and I don’t want to waste money 😅

I have soilent green for now to see if they’d take it. I intend to get the algae and community versions too when I have spare cash and mix then. (A hole in the roof diverted a lot of spare funds this month).

I made some up in cubes in addition to the rocks and pushed it through a garlic press to make strings for the tetras. They went crazy for it

P.S. how much do they cost to buy? Is it per leaf or per shoe box full or?

Confession time…..40 leaves of oak or beech or 15 leaves of Sweet Chestnut, all £3.00 per pack. 10 magnolia leaves for £6.00 😳 (they are a good size though) Decided to splash out on all as spend £15:00 and delivery is free. Bought from Blackwater UK.

Thanks for suggestions (and @Wolf6 and @AlecF) sounds like I need to go for a good walk.

If you hear of news flash ‘Fire Brigade called to rescue blonde from tree’ I might have got a bit too ambitious. 😂

Yeah I know! 😂
But the leaves have fallen off the trees now and I was mildly paranoid about picking up mucky, half decayed looking ones. 😬
If it all works out, I shall forage for future supplies.
Oak leaves usually stay on the tree for longer. So will be safe Beech and Birch just take top layer

Back