• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Root Among The Rocks

Absolutely stunning Dean.
You’ve done a great job with that. The planting has just added so much and using some existing mature plants has given it a grown in look.
Brilliant.

Absolutely stunning Dean.
You’ve done a great job with that. The planting has just added so much and using some existing mature plants has given it a grown in look.
Brilliant.
Thanks ady really appreciate that just hope all plants ok 👍 hope all the buce ok being so close to the light, already founf a couple of melted leaves but only a few and they may have been damaged leaves etc.

Not started doing at ferts yet Was going to wait a week or two, what you think ?

Carrying out 80% or so water changes daily for week 1, not much cleaning just large water changes and removing any loose leaves etc.

Thanks 😊

Not started doing at ferts yet Was going to wait a week or two, what you think ?
there are a lot of mature epiphytes, I’d probably be inclined to fertilise as you were. Your doing large water changes anyway so only a good thing I’d say.

Adding ferts now to be safe, doing ok but had a lot of montecarlo meltom the left side as in pics, some doing great maybe a bad batch on that side, you think best to leave it to do its thing for now and see what happens ?

Been removing melting leaves off crypts etc but all in all doing ok 👍

One thing to add is its so nice having the aquario neo lilly pipes as barley never gets air into the oase filter i previously had aquascaper lily pipes with skimmer on inlet side but these ones have it on the outflow so draws no air into the filter and i love it at the moment 😊

Attachments

• 20211026_161649.jpg
    20211026_161649.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 181
  • 20211026_161700.jpg
    20211026_161700.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Adding ferts now to be safe, doing ok but had a lot of montecarlo meltom the left side as in pics, some doing great maybe a bad batch on that side, you think best to leave it to do its thing for now and see what happens ?
I would let it do its thing, especially if you are still doing frequent water changes.

Had a absolute nightmare earlier 😫 when doing water change my hardscape fell, added a rock to back and glued in one place but i am gutted as substrate now all over and hadscape in slightly different place and plants where all over, devistated is a understatement 😢, filled for now as need to go out but tomorro may drop water right down and try my best to fix anyone recommend a glue etc thats better than super glue and filters ? Just worried happens again also got rid of floaters as all the bits of leaves and montecarlo etc always in the red root floaters

Thinking if removing large wood at water change tomorro and glueing better and levelling substrate a bit then putting back in 😔

Last edited:
I like zip ties and epoxy better than super glue.
Zip ties are zip ties so it doesn’t matter about the strength of the bond, just how well the rock you used is secured with them.
Epoxy can fill a gap and make a good bond that can be reinforced with a zip tie. Belt n braces.

Had a absolute nightmare earlier 😫 when doing water change my hardscape fell, added a rock to back and glued in one place but i am gutted as substrate now all over and hadscape in slightly different place and plants where all over, devistated is a understatement 😢, filled for now as need to go out but tomorro may drop water right down and try my best to fix anyone recommend a glue etc thats better than super glue and filters ? Just worried happens again also got rid of floaters as all the bits of leaves and montecarlo etc always in the red root floaters
That sounds like my worst (aquatic) nightmare coming true, hope you can fix it so you feel happy about it again! :(

Hopefully tomorro i will drain down remove the right peice of wood and reglue and maybe cable toe etc then level substrate and refit touch wood all goes well 😳

Thinking if removing large wood at water change tomorro and glueing better and levelling substrate a bit then putting back in 😔
I've been in the same position two days ago.. one of my three glued spider wood roots separated from others. Messing with glue, trying not to leave the glue everywhere and monitor plants so they don't dry out.. OMG 🤯 Ended up gluing every finger on both my hands.. and was so angry! I feel your pain..

Well removed a lot of plants and the wood then ended up cable tieing rock to rear of wood and reglueing to other rocks, prety impossible to get it in exactly same location so did my best, not as happy as i was origionally think wood closer to front so couldn't get rock on right in so left it out.

Also doesnt look like much monte carlo left but i think needs left to its own devises for a bit now.

Gutted it happened but bothing can be done, hopefully one all fills in will looks good and can he played with a bit then need things to root etc and crypts etc keep floating etc and leaves not facing up so hopefully they start pointing towards light.

Still a bit cloudy

Dean

Attachments

• 20211028_145517.jpg
    20211028_145517.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 152
  • 20211028_145924.jpg
    20211028_145924.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 158
Nightmare Dean.
I’m sure when it all grows in you’ll be less upset.
Try planting the crypts on an angle into the substrate rather than straight down, they get more purchase that way and they will straighten themselves out soon enough so don’t worry about that.
Cheerio,

Nightmare Dean.
I’m sure when it all grows in you’ll be less upset.
Try planting the crypts on an angle into the substrate rather than straight down, they get more purchase that way and they will straighten themselves out soon enough so don’t worry about that.
Cheerio,
Thanks mate yeah i was gutted but bothing can be done, be more carefull next time, want to leave for now and hope enough montecarlo in there for now continue carrying out water changes etc and hopefully starts to grow in.

Thanks mate and thanks for tip on crypts

In all fairness I think you managed to repair the damage pretty well! Once plants are grown in you wont even see it :)

Just purchased 2x 5kg Firs extinguishers today for £30 last one lasted 5-6 months 😁 and thanks @Wolf6

Back