• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Royal Wedding

Are you bovered?

• Yes- I cant wait to drool over Kate ( or Willy)

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • No- dont give a damn, but thank you for the extra bank holiday.

Votes: 26 81.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What day off? I'm working like most of the uk.

I'm not fussed, the day off is cool, but I appreciate the significance of the day also....

Its a beautiful thing...or one for garuf

ITS REEM!!

I'm not too bothered. I'll probably watch the odd bit out of curiosity. I'm annoyed though that it has made travel to London on Friday a frickin' nightmare, and I won't be able to go to Matt's early for Saturday's meet.

Will be working so no bank holiday for me!! To be honest I couldn't care less about the wedding lol just means I will have more trouble getting to work than usual!

When I was a tiny ickle one, I do remember somthing of national hype around Charles and Diana's wedding, but I dont feel it this time, maybe its a bit like when Christmas is no longer the magical experiance it used to be.

The TV advertisements tell you somthing on the lines that "everyone is going to watching" whether it is commercial or not, but I just did not quite believe them. I get the feeling that there isnt that excitement for most people in the country. I think in pockets there is, but not generally.

I keep hearing x hundred million or billion will be watching more than last time, but what does that mean? The world population was much smaller then, but I suspect a greater proportion of the world was taking notice in 1981.

Anyway I dont have strong feeling about the monarchy either way, it is someones wedding. I was just wondering whether my feelings were right in regard to interest in the wedding.

vastnumbers.jpg

I fall firmly into this camp.

Well I own a business and for the first time in my life I wish they would dissolve the monarchy. The monarchy has no relevance in a modern world, it's a fairytale elitist clique.

What's most irritating is that in a middle of a recession I have to find the money to pay 13 staff members to have a day off to watch these insignificant people marry (on top of the loss of income by closing for a day). Whats even more irritating is that almost none of the staff have any intention of watching they are all just happy to have an extra days paid leave. Alas they do not realise there will be less money in the pot next year for a salary incease. Money does not grow on trees unless of course you are a member of the royal family. I estimate this will cost my business and therefore impact me and my staff by approx £2000.

:thumbdown:

They could at least have shown the country some respect and married on an existing bank holiday.

When they get divorced I want my £2000 wedding present back!

tyrophagus i sympathise with what your saying but if your staff are not interested in the day off why not just offer them a day in Lou i know guys who are working as normal so you might have been doing them a favour sill agree they could have picked a better day.

I'd be a happy man if there was a ground up reform, too many people leaching of a corrupt and archaic system that thrives on prejudiced, especially when the current government seen to have adopted a keep the rich rich and the poor poor policy. I'm completely disillusioned in the government system as a whole, another way of looking at it is we could fund the uk space agency (ever heard of those guys?) for 5 years on the amount of money spent on just the wedding, hell, we'd be one step closer to laser fusion with that sort of money after they 10th'd their funding.

As a portuguese, I can say that there has been some advertising on the tele but I believe that most people wont bother watching. Perhaps the elders. It's no bank holiday though :(

tyrophagus said:
Well I own a business and for the first time in my life I wish they would dissolve the monarchy. The monarchy has no relevance in a modern world, it's a fairytale elitist clique.

It's pretty much the same as a president in a democracy but you don't get to pick who is going. In fact, we have to spend money every 4 years for the elections. Besides, all presidents are entitled a life-time retirement pension, which is crazy. So you see. It's probably as expensive or even more.

cheers,

G

Back