• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The science behind ADA additives

George Farmer said:
Morgan Freeman said:
The type of science required for testing these projects isn't complicated, nor overly expensive. Anyone with a basic understanding of the scientific method could test these products. Maybe as individuals it wouldn't be so affordable, but there's no reason a magazine such as PFK couldn't perform some tests. Maybe I'll post something on the PFK forum as a suggestion for an article.
You could also try emailing Jeremy Gay, the editor, or Nathan Hill, their technical writer.

jeremy.gay@bauermedia.co.uk
nathan.hill@bauermedia.co.uk

Thanks George. I'll email Nathan as I bigged him up over his live feeding article :lol:

Morgan Freeman said:
George Farmer said:
Morgan Freeman said:
The type of science required for testing these projects isn't complicated, nor overly expensive. Anyone with a basic understanding of the scientific method could test these products. Maybe as individuals it wouldn't be so affordable, but there's no reason a magazine such as PFK couldn't perform some tests. Maybe I'll post something on the PFK forum as a suggestion for an article.
You could also try emailing Jeremy Gay, the editor, or Nathan Hill, their technical writer.

jeremy.gay@bauermedia.co.uk
nathan.hill@bauermedia.co.uk

Thanks George. I'll email Nathan as I bigged him up over his live feeding article :lol:
Good idea. Very clever guy and one of the best writers I know.

dw1305 said:
I recommend "Bad Science" <http://www.badscience.net/about-dr-ben-goldacre/> to our students.

cheers Darrel

Good one, I use this site often for whacky water stuff, you will find a few ADA ingredients in there.

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/wonkywater.html

A lot of this stuff comes in from other business areas and the marketing folks often say, "Hey, let's try this here and here.......", they have never once tested this rubbish.

It does not hurt........but also does not do anything.

Tourmaline is a classic example.

Heating cables caused a huge ruckcus here with a certain crotchety old man and led to some legal threats.

I actively support ADA, but I still question some of the products, as I or any rational person should, the faithful and the fan boys.........will fight against this and will say the same types of things as the diet pill folks.

Hi all,
Good one, I use this site often for whacky water stuff, you will find a few ADA ingredients in there.
Thanks Tom, it is a good read, even if the content is fairly depressing. We still have a couple of BBC radio programs in the UK that look at this sort of thing ("More or Less" which looks at what figures and percentages in the press actually mean is on Radio 4 at the moment), but the snake oil salesmen are gaining an increasing foothold and people are often unable to differentiate between them and the real thing - <http://www.badscience.net/2008/03/radio-4-the-rise-of-the-lifestyle-nutritionists/>.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Thanks Tom, it is a good read, even if the content is fairly depressing. We still have a couple of BBC radio programs in the UK that look at this sort of thing ("More or Less" which looks at what figures and percentages in the press actually mean is on Radio 4 at the moment), but the snake oil salesmen are gaining an increasing foothold and people are often unable to differentiate between them and the real thing - <http://www.badscience.net/2008/03/radio-4-the-rise-of-the-lifestyle-nutritionists/>.

cheers Darrel

This type of stuff is making more and more headway as the public is becoming more and more dumbed down.
It's very tough to stop it and all I can do is hope some folks use critical thinking and have a brain. The USA is Terrible about this stuff. I think we invented this rubbish give the level we have here, but it's been around for eons.
I just try and stop some of it from entering the hobby as best I can. ADA is not immune themselves.

Back