• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The shallow one

Paul27

Recently joined and thought I might as well start a journal.

Tank size: 60x20x20
Light: chihiros a series plus
Substrate: Tropica aquarium soil
Co2: Tropica nano system ( Not setup yet)
Filter: Oase 60
Heater: 50w
Plants: Jave fern, anubias, lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Inhabitants: 1x Male betta Fish, 4x pygmy Cory's, 3 red cherry shrimp, 1x nerite snail,1x asian stone catfish.

Please ignore the stone on top of the bogwood in the right hand corner as its keeping the bogwood from floating, will remove when its fully water logged. Slightly confused with the filter as when I first installed it, the flow was nice but I cut the tubing down so it's a alot more neater and now the flow has dropped significantly. Anyone had similar issues?. Co2 will be added when I get a solenoid.

Opinions and suggestions welcome or advice

Thanks
20190926_205614.jpg

Thankyou. Thinking of adding some java moss to the wood in the right hand corner, when the stone can be removed.

Paul

You have a very interesting shallow Aquascape. I think the Java moss is a very good choice. Will you be able to take the wood out to attach the Java Moss?

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

Thankyou. I will be able to take it out to attach some moss, will more than likely use super glue to attach it. Thinking to do a carpet of something, not sure what yet though.

I suggest using a more structured moss such as Tropica Flame, Spike, Weeping, Christmas etc depending on what type of growth you prefer (some are faster/slower growth habit, also less/moss light and CO2)

“Java moss” is an amorphous moss that happily grows in a loose cloud of strands (and attaches poorly if at all ... though you can wind the long strands about objects) - it’s excellent for breeding/fry tanks

asian stone catfish
assuming this is likely Hara jerdoni I’d suggest some compatriots as they are quite social :)

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hara-jerdoni/

Of course the Pygmy Corydoras are also clamouring for more, so you’ll soon be compelled ;)
(make sure that the H jerdoni get enough food with these speedy competitors)

I suggest using a more structured moss such as Tropica Flame, Spike, Weeping, Christmas etc depending on what type of growth you prefer (some are faster/slower growth habit, also less/moss light and CO2)

“Java moss” is an amorphous moss that happily grows in a loose cloud of strands (and attaches poorly if at all ... though you can wind the long strands about objects) - it’s excellent for breeding/fry tanks

assuming this is likely Hara jerdoni I’d suggest some compatriots as they are quite social :)

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hara-jerdoni/

Of course the Pygmy Corydoras are also clamouring for more, so you’ll soon be compelled ;)
(make sure that the H jerdoni get enough food with these speedy competitors)

Well it's going to be low light, low Co2, so what moss would you recommend?.

Your right about the cat fish, will be getting more but it was the only one left when I brought it.

The Cory's I did start off with 6, one had a fungal infection on its fins and died, that was two days after I got them. Another died as it got wedged behind the filter and tore all its fins and died a day after. Not sure how long it was stuck there. One of the reasons I changed from internal to an external filter. Will be getting more, want a group of about 10 or 12 of them .

Nice size, love shallow tanks

Looks like there will be plenty of low flow areas for the betta but what temp do you have it at? Bettas like it on the warmer side and that catfish lower, 24deg is the happy medium which both would be fairly happy at

I'd just watch and not overstock as well with your future plans

Nice size, love shallow tanks

Looks like there will be plenty of low flow areas for the betta but what temp do you have it at? Bettas like it on the warmer side and that catfish lower, 24deg is the happy medium which both would be fairly happy at

I'd just watch and not overstock as well with your future plans

Thankyou. 24 is what I have it on, has made a change to have a shallow tank as I've been used to taller ones before hand and this is the first shallow one I've ever done. Starting to prefer them alot more to be fair.

Could be emersed leaves from the grower transitioning to submerged state.
Also looks like it could be mechanical damage (asian stone catfish?), perhaps being freshly scaped there isn't plenty afwuchs for it to graze ( ad some "greens" like cucumber, eggplant, zuchini)

Check the rhizome - looks like Anubias melt

I’ve observed this in Asian Anubias that have been transferred (from ???) to pots just prior to sale/shipping, occasionally this may happen with nursery grown (in sale pot) Anubias - I suspect shipping but unfortunately there are no high/low temperature labels used in the aquarium plant industry

(I’d contact the shop and discuss if theres any rhizome deterioration)

Despite the Asian Stone Catfish name, these are completely plant safe small fishes :)

All the plants the shop had in were in amazing condition. I think your right about it being melt. When i brought it, it was long and i ended up splitting it into three and all three are now showing these symptoms.

Is there anything i can do to remedy this or is it pretty much game over for them?

Have noticed this, three of the LED's on the chihiros have gone out. Very surprised as it hasn't been on there very long and it's only on 6 hours a day. Anybody else had issues with these?.
20191009_123942.jpg

Chihiros led are cheap and this happens a lot, and dead transformers too.

Now all your led are gonna die one by one, you should replace it soon.

In the meantime save some Money and get a twinstar es or e séries with a dimmer.;)

Cheers

Chihiros led are cheap and this happens a lot, and dead transformers too.

Now all your led are gonna die one by one, you should replace it soon.

In the meantime save some Money and get a twinstar es or e séries with a dimmer.;)

Cheers

Have actually been looking at the twin stars, would give me even more of a reason to visit Aquarium gardens even though I want to anyway.

Back