The Soil Substrate or Dirted Planted Tank - A How to Guide

Tim Harrison

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it OK to cap with Tropica Soil? I can't find a gravel / sand I'm happy with and I like the look of the tropica stuff? This would be for a cap over 1" of aquatic compost and moss peat mix.
I think @Sarpijk is right, you may as well use 1:1 mix of moss peat and Westlands aquatic compost.
I have the same question - could anyone assist by giving a link to a soil retainer that would be fish safe? I'm concerned that it may leak chemicals etc. over time...
Try this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardman-Gr...ding+gardmans&qid=1565549090&s=gateway&sr=8-1. It's what I use.
Also is this a suitable <<soil retainer>>? What I'm not sure about is "Sturdy extruded mesh made from PP and treated with UV additives for longer life.".
Looks like the same product as the above...
61y9-xkizRL.jpg

GlenD

Tim Harrison

Super Moderator
Staff member
That really depends on your plant biomass, how densely you plant, and whether you're going to use LC, and the photoperiod and light intensity. All things being even, the general rule is 1/5 - 1/10 EI. For instance, my 60l high energy gets around 30mls a week, any less and I get deficiencies. So based on that premise I'd stick to the recommended dose to start with and see how you go. It is possible to tweak it and watch how your plants respond, but better to tweak it down than to add too little to start and suffer plant deficiencies.

Try Darrel's Duck Weed Index as a guide to fertz dosing and take a look at Tom Barr's Non CO2 Methods.