• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

the start of BGA?

aaronnorth

Hi, i think i have the starting phases of BGA

Circulation is fine, no poo is ever on substrate
eheim 2215 classic & fluval 205
NO3 20ppm
filters are clean
set up just under 3 months

Any ideas?

P1010122-1.jpg

P1010121-2.jpg

P10101192.jpg

Hi Aaron,
Well, the usual suspects. I never rule anything out. I'm of the mindset where I automatically suspect poor NO3/flow. What is your alleged 20ppm based on, dosing, test kit or water report? Have you been cleaning filters and has your water change routine been normal? Looks like a lot of open space. What is the biomass like?

Cheers,

forgot to say it is a cichlid tank so no plants, hence the open space.

20ppm is via the nutafin test kit. Filters were opened last week for a check and hardly any waste had accumulated so i left them.

50% w/c every week, havent missed one yet ;)

3 x copadichromis borley @ 3" each
1 x astatotilapia latfsciata @ 4"
4 x jewel cichlids @ 3" each
2 x aulounocara jacobfriebiergi @ 5" each

180l/ 40g tank.

P1010137.jpg

Thanks

Yeah, non-planted tanks are kinda tough because there is no biomass to remove the ammonia and other organic forms of Nitrogen. Maybe try some Purigen? Can you not put some anubias or ferns in?

Cheers,

Yes a distinct possibility as a result of ammonia imbalance under the lights. Yes vallis would be a really good choice, but there are more than a few plants that can get their carbon from the bicarbonates in the water, probably anything originating from temperate zones like vallis is.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Yes a distinct possibility as a result of ammonia imbalance under the lights. Yes vallis would be a really good choice, but there are more than a few plants that can get their carbon from the bicarbonates in the water, probably anything originating from temperate zones like vallis is.

Cheers,

thanks.

Well I can't see any point in dosing without plants. Growing plants remove the ammonia and nutrients support that growth. No plants - no growth - no removal. You'd just be feeding the bacteria and whatever algae does form.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Well I can't see any point in dosing without plants. Growing plants remove the ammonia and nutrients support that growth. No plants - no growth - no removal. You'd just be feeding the bacteria and whatever algae does form.

Cheers,

i meant if i added any? or would they survive on the waste produced by the fish alone?

Oh, sorry mate. Well yes, most definitely dose if it's planted. Those chiclids won't care, that's for sure. You won't have to dose much since you will be Carbon limited, but NKP will be compulsory. Maybe start with 1/2 EI? Is that 2WPG T5? That's kind of no man's land if we are talking about non injected. If it's T8 then you do have some wiggle room. Some of the low tech experienced members will have a better idea.

Cheers,

yes - 2wpg HOT5 (2 x 24w) on a 40g.

With this tank i was trying to keep it cheap, that is why i gave up on plants with it, if i were to dose then i miht give EI a go because of the cost.

I have noticed today a bit of hair algae foming today, i am not to bothered about any algae because it looks good on the rocks, they dont stand out as much, they were horrible wen the were new, i have used it as my 'plants'. But BGA just takes over :(

I think i will do a black out, wait a few months and see if things get better as i t hink it is to do with it being fairly new, if it comes back in a few months then i will add plnts.

Thanks clive

Back