• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Used-to-be-a-Biotope-Tank

Corbie

I recently joined the forum as part of my process of learning about water parameters (see post under Water Chemistry). Although I've been keeping fish and plants nigh on 50 years I've been stuck in the old ways for so long and only in the last year or two have I tried to catch up with technology. So I'm posting a few pics here to document my learning process, good or bad.

I currently only have one aquarium, which is 5 feet long by 1 foot, and about 14 inches high, so I guess that qualifies as a long shallow. It has been running, pretty much unchanged apart from occasionally adding fish or plants, for 29 years now. Before that I dabbled with marine. I have two Fluval G3 external filters, with ceramic media, and at the moment each has an activated carbon cartridge but usually these just contain bio media. The substrate is 30 year old "aquarium gravel" as it used to be called :D, small rounded pebbles, mixed with sharp sand and mulm, about 2 inches deep. The heater is a 300w visitherm. I keep the water at just over 26 degrees C.
I've always kept the tank quite heavily planted as I love plants. The bi-product of this is that I've never really had a problem with algae. However I've found that the plants don't do all that well. They tend to last a year or so, gradually declining. So I've resolved to try and improve my education in this respect, especially seeing all the fantastic aquascapes here and on youtube. Wow! Some of those are amazing.

So here is the baseline. I started, many, many years ago, trying to replicate a Rio Negro / Amazon blackwater tank, before it was really a thing- I used to be a professional ecologist. I soon modified this a bit when I realised that many of the fish there don't really live in planted areas, apart from mangrove trees; it's mostly deeply-stained water with dead wood and leaves. So it became an Amazonish tank, with whatever South American plants I could find, and Rio Negro fish. The tap water here has always been very soft and pH around neutral. In the 1970s when I first started keeping fish, the advice was waaaaay different from what it is now! Water changes 25% every 3 months or so.... leave it to become "aged water". I was quite lucky, and my tanks found their own balance and happily ran along on their own cycles for months or years. Nutrients were removed by occasional syphoning of mulm and removal of overgrown plants. Amazon plants were sometimes difficult to find and so over the years it became less of a biotope, with Cryptocorynes and North American plants creeping in. Also, when my daughters were growing up I let them choose fish, and these were sometimes not South American. I don't have a photo of my 5 foot tank from years back I'm afraid, but here it is a few weeks ago before I started on the new learning drive.

Fish inhabitants are black widows, neon tetras, glowlight tetras, 1 remaining very old black tetra, 3 very old scissortails, a black molly and couple of platies. Yes I know the latter are supposed to be hard water fish but they happily breed away here and have done so for a few years.

aquarium1.jpg

You might notice drop indicators at each end- newly installed, as the first stage in improving things, is a CO2 regulator, running off a 600g welding cylinder, with diffusers at the right hand end and in the centre, immediately below the two filter inputs. But the photo was taken just after installation. The lights are 8 x Aquaray strip LEDs, which have been in place for a few years. Roughly 10 hours duration plus an hour ramping up and down.

Now here are some pics from today, around a month later. The CO2 seems to have made a difference already:

aquarium2.jpg

aquarium3.jpg

aquarium4.jpg

I think it can probably stand a little bit more CO2 than it's currently set for. The current drive to learn was prompted by our water company drastically changing the water parameters recently, which has resulted in an increased amount of nutrients in the water and a higher pH. So I have now invested in a reverse osmosis kit, and I've spent the last few weeks doing smallish water changes with R/O water, and have now brought back to TDS to a reasonable level. Fish and plants don't seem to have suffered from the spike. I'll continue trying to bring the stats down a bit more. I want to start trying using the Estimated Index method, so have ordered the various chemicals. I'll post again here once I've got started with that. I've also ordered some Otocinclus affinis.

Here's an early November update, a month on from installing CO2 injection and starting to use R/O water to reduce the TDS / EC spike caused by our water company works. I'm aiming to bring the EC down to a low level before starting on EI dosing for the first time. My new R/O kit is working well. I've been replacing around 20 litres of water a day, with just pure R/O water, no fertilisers added. It is doing the job I wanted it to (the two lines are two different EC meters):
EC reduction graph.jpg

And encouraging that in the few days that I was away on holiday, the EC stayed about the same. I'm not sure how low to take it before starting on the EI dosing- what do you reckon? Bear in mind the figures are not TDS. At these temps the TDS will be about half those values.
The plants are looking reasonably well, if a bit unruly, and I've added some Christmas moss, some Salvinia and a few more Crypts. I will need to start gardening sometime soon. I'm expecting delivery of 4 Otocinclus affinis today, together with a few Cardinals.

aquarium 3 Nov 21.jpg

The drop indicators are still darkish green so there is room for a little more CO2 still.

drop indicator.jpg

Hi all,
I'm not sure how low to take it before starting on the EI dosing- what do you reckon? Bear in mind the figures are not TDS.
I'd probably start feeding the plants now. They look pretty healthy, so you can use the 400 microS as the middle point of <"your datum range"> and then just change enough water to keep in the 350 - 450 microS range.

Light and CO2 will drive the demand for nutrients, so you don't want to be in a situation where CO2 and nutrient availability are out of sync.

cheers Darrel

Great tank!

Disaster has struck. The storm started yesterday about lunchtime, and at 3.45 p.m. the power went off, and the water. Now 10 a.m. the next day and we still have no power or water. There is a very big tree fallen across our track, a bit of damage to the roof, and I can't get my little Honda generator started. I've tried to keep the fish warm by heating the room using the coal fire but I fear the worst.
All my lovely new fish 😭
They are telling us engineers have been stood down due to unsafe conditions.

Disaster has struck. The storm started yesterday about lunchtime, and at 3.45 p.m. the power went off, and the water. Now 10 a.m. the next day and we still have no power or water. There is a very big tree fallen across our track, a bit of damage to the roof, and I can't get my little Honda generator started. I've tried to keep the fish warm by heating the room using the coal fire but I fear the worst.
All my lovely new fish 😭
They are telling us engineers have been stood down due to unsafe conditions.
Oh my god! i was just enjoying the thread then came down to read this! I'm hoping for you! It didn't seem that bad down here but I know Scotland is another world when it comes to weather.

Also a Honda generator not starting? first time I've heard of that.... is the world conspiring against you or something?

Wish you all the best.
Gus.

Thanks Gus. Probably just not quite enough petrol in it. But no movement just now, all roads blocked by fallen trees.

Thanks Gus. Probably just not quite enough petrol in it. But no movement just now, all roads blocked by fallen trees.
Ahhh if only you had me there with my ms441 i would carve a path for your car bud.... :lol: the problem with getting cutters in to clear the stuff is they have to clear all the windblown on the way to the specific windblown tree that is blocking your access, it takes bloody ages for rural areas.

Got some petrol from the neighbour, but no joy. Bloody thing won't start.
It's more the filters I'm concerned about.

Got some petrol from the neighbour, but no joy. Bloody thing won't start.
It's more the filters I'm concerned about.
I would recommend taking the pump unit off the top and exposing the filters to the air if possible, you will get better dissolved oxygen levels, the colonies should go a few days like that.

I would recommend taking the pump unit off the top and exposing the filters to the air if possible, you will get better dissolved oxygen levels, the colonies should go a few days like that.
Do they not need to be kept wet Angus? Apart from a prefilter everything else is Eheim Substrat.

does the main unit not hold the water? i wouldn't expose the media completely to air, just open the top so to speak, so you have a better surface area of water to exchange oxygen, because you have no throughput through the filter if you keep it all sealed the oxygen will deplete quite quickly.

I don't know how the G series works haha i'm not fortunate enough to able to afford one.

Sorry for both of you Onoma1 and Corbie and anyone else .Calor have portable heaters for hire .Not ideal but if you could heat the room?

Very sorry to hear all this, Angus. It was as fierce with us last night here in Montrose as I can remember, but being in the town will have helped. We got away with just a garden door blown in. Power browned out momentarily a few times, otherwise ok.
Do you only have coal? Alec's suggestion of floating warmed water bottles makes sense but an open coal fire doesn't make that easy. Wondered if you might have a Calor tank for the house heating.
FWIW we used to have a monster shredder with a Honda which was a devil to start if it had been sitting. We discovered eventually that the problem was if the petrol had been sitting. If you've enough petrol to flush through the carb that might be worth a go, then try again with the freshest petrol you can lay your hands on. I know Hondas are reliable things, but IME can be a bugger to get going.
Above all, just hoping for the best for you and your tank.

Back