• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

the usual EI help please! :0/

hi,
just wanting the usaul EI help, i've read quite a lot and nearly have it sorted, i think! :0/

i curently have:-
a 240l tank with 2x54w T5 (could run 4 if needed)
pressurised CO2

tap water
KH 8
GH11
nitrate between 10 & 30
high phosphate 3ish

a week into the set up, fairly well planted and changing 50% water twice a week, will drop to once a week after 3-4 weeks

what would ppl recommend i should be dosing?
i have trace ferts but will be getting the powders to make my own next time round, the label on the bottle says 1ml per week for every 10litres, so how should i dose this using the EI way of thinking?

also i have fert with K, Mg, S and Ca in it, this i guess is also known as GH booster? i plan to get powdered next time round!

kinda think i have it sorted then read something else that'll confuse me some more!! any help would be nice!
thnx

Superman said:
CSM+B is the general trace elements mix from AE.
Using a bottled fert limits your options to change the dosing for specific elements but you can increase it (obviously!).
Have a read through http://ukaps.org/EI.htm, that should get you started about what you need in dry powders to start doing EI.

:0) you're just up the road from me!

i've just recently found this forum so not read that article until now.
its a good read, but dosnt mention the GH booster that is on AE and is talked about lots?
where does this fit in?
thanks.

GH Booster is a relatively new product for those people who like to use RO or demineralized water. If one uses tap water then there is normally no need for GH booster. This is why it does not appear within the context of EI. RO water is considered a special case, for example, those who breed soft water fish. The rest of us get what we need from using standard tap water. A few areas have tap water that is actually soft so GH booster cvan be used in that case. For soft water, just use the suggested dosage on the AE website and call it good.

Cheers,

ok, thanks
the reason i'm confused i think, is that i have some macro ferts that contain Ca,K,Mg,S and i was told this is GH booster! :0/

ok, i'm gonna order some more dry ferts, seems easier than trying to mix and match my dosing methods!
i have KH2P04 and KN03 already mixed, as my tap water has both in fair amounts of both so i plan to skip first dose and just do 2 doses per week adding
0.5 po4 x2
5.5 NO3 x2
3.52 K x2

the potasium i guess possibly needs upping so will buy some K2S04 to add to my macro mix
i will also order the micro/trace mix.

does this sound correct?? :0/

Nope, I don't see any reason to reduce the KNO3/KH2PO4 dosages and then to pay extra money to buy yet one more product. I have absolutely no fear whatsoever of KNO3 or KH2PO4, so if I need K I'll just add more of what I already have.

Having said that however, yes, if you reduce the level of KNO3 dosing then you will need the K2SO4 or KCl to compensate for the loss of K.

Cheers,

Back