• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

There's Something Missing. Any Ideas?

Jonatk

Can I have a little planting knowledge/Ideas please.
I am wanting to fill the gap at the rear left of my 275 litre tank.
I just planted some Pogostemom Erectus and some Hygrophila Siamensis a few weeks back.
My current thinking is that they aren't going to grow big enough to fill this part of the tank. I have a low tech setup. I am using EI dosing method and liquid co2. I am currently only half dosing the recomended amount of ferts, as advised by Aquarium plant food. Would increasing the ferts help. My Nitrate is around 10 - 20 ppm. I do a weekly 50% water change
I also planted myriophyllum mattogrossense but this hasn't really done much. Stem plants never seem to really thrive in my tank, but I'm willing to take on board any advice you may give.

Thanks
Jon
upload_2020-1-19_20-3-9.jpeg

I like the tank shot! I also struggle with stem plants, so will keep a look out for responses - sorry I havnt been any help!

Jonatk

If you decide to plant a different tall plant it will look like you have two sections of your tank.

Why not use what is growing successfully on the RH side and then every thing should blend in bringing the two sides aquascape together.

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

could allso be some thin branches of wood, mabe reaching towards the RH side. Or and some of the vallesinera from the RH side. Or moss on the branches.

Sometimes stems struggle in low-energy tanks (tho' technically, adding LC makes it high-energy), not enough light or available CO2, although Ludwigia palustris usually does well but only grows to about 30cm. Also, with relatively low light and CO2 etc plants will take longer to grow.

I think @Keith GH is right, try filling in the gaps with plants that you know grow well in your tanks unique environment. More vallis or swords would be a good option. If that doesn't appeal try some taller crypts like C. crispatula or C. usteriana they should grow well.

Sometimes stems struggle in low-energy tanks (tho' technically, adding LC makes it high-energy), not enough light or available CO2, although Ludwigia palustris usually does well but only grows to about 30cm. Also, with relatively low light and CO2 etc plants will take longer to grow.

I think @Keith GH is right, try filling in the gaps with plants that you know grow well in your tanks unique environment. More vallis or swords would be a good option. If that doesn't appeal try some taller crypts like C. crispatula or C. usteriana they should grow well.

I'd vote for Ludwigia palustris too as Tim has suggested. It is growing really well in my tank, in arguably the dimmest corner, whilst also being one of the prettiest looking plants I have. If it reddens up in your tank as it has in mine, it will give a nice focal point in that gap you are trying to fill. The potted version I received from Aquarium Gardens was a good sized plant, so gave me a good start, but I've already had to cut it twice (in two weeks) and the cutting have grown readily.

Hi all,
so gave me a good start, but I've already had to cut it twice (in two weeks) and the cutting have grown readily.
That is actually why I prefer rosette plants, they don't grow so quickly.

Anything that grows really quickly will be higher maintenance. I'm pretty lazy, so I like floaters as my quick growers, removal is a lot easier and they have access to aerial CO2.

I think of stems a bit like a "leylandii" hedge, quick growing but then you are going to need to trim it a lot to keep it under control.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for all the input, I do appreciate people reading this post.

At the moment I have two Fluval Aquaskys lighting it, both working at maybe 70%. Would . I have noticed my mosses haven't really kicked off since switching to EI dosing, so maybe increasing both ferts and light may help. However would too much of these just lead just lead to an increase in algae
I had planted, Hottonia palustris, and within a few weeks I had to trim this and replant. However the [URL='https://duckduckgo.com/?q=subsequent&t=ffab&atb=v1-1']subsequent cuttings haven't really grown or died off.[/URL]
I think I'll try some Ludwigia palustris, swords and vallis don't really excite me

Cheers
Jon

Ludwigia palustris will look super good! I was growing very well and red in my lowtech tank starting this hobby 2 years ago.
Have to get that again, can not wait to see how it will grow with co2.

Back