These woods alright?

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by mr. luke, 29 Aug 2009.

1. mr. luke

mr. luke Member

I recently came back of a trip to the peak district and whilst i was there i collected a bin bag full of dead heather :D
    I keep reading about 'heater wood' being safe..... Is this the case and are we on about the same thing?
    Also, is sycamore safe to use?
    Theres a massive dead branch in a tree near my hous that im thinking of taking for my 2m tank...... its bigger than the tank itself so will requite some cropping :lol:
    Obviously no way to soa it other than in the tank, but ill be scolding it with hot water before i use it.

2. zig

zig Member

Dead "dried" heather I would say is fine, I have some myself ;)

I would say the Sycamore is fine as long as its totally dried out, you might want to store it in a dry place over winter to make sure of that. I think Sycamore is considered a medium hard wood, although I do know its tolerance to water isn't great so its normally used indoors in construction etc.

3. mr. luke

mr. luke Member

Thanks ;)
    Well i dont thin sycamore is toxic, so if it starts to degrade i cant imagine it would be a catastrophy?